Quantcast

The last person to post a picture from their last bike ride wins access to the white courtesy phone.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
The hollow axle is completely unsupported in the centre. With a 12mm TA that's generally the same internal width of the axle isn't it? I think some older Hope axles had issues because the external machining design left too much of a stress riser, so they altered it to be a more gradual angle...
Ah yeah, I remember that. I converted my 10x135mm Hope hub back in the day to 12x142mm and it snapped. Replaced it and it snapped again. Hope then shipped me a steel axle for free and it was fine after that.

The first time it happened I didn't even know that it had snapped, until I took the rear wheel off for some maintenance and the entire cassette/freehub fell off onto the ground. Oops. :D

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
I think some older Hope axles had issues because the external machining design left too much of a stress riser, so they altered it to be a more gradual angle...
Wasn't this a Maxle issue? Because the hope was designed for a full diameter axle but the Maxle tapered down to a smaller diameter to save weight and did not support the axle enough. So yeah, the Hope axles were breaking but it was the change in design of the Maxle that caused it.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Wasn't this a Maxle issue? Because the hope was designed for a full diameter axle but the Maxle tapered down to a smaller diameter to save weight and did not support the axle enough. So yeah, the Hope axles were breaking but it was the change in design of the Maxle that caused it.
Now think how hard is it on the axle when it's for a 190 dropout and only has a QR rod going through the middle.

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
Ah yeah, I remember that. I converted my 10x135mm Hope hub back in the day to 12x142mm and it snapped. Replaced it and it snapped again. Hope then shipped me a steel axle for free and it was fine after that.

The first time it happened I didn't even know that it had snapped, until I took the rear wheel off for some maintenance and the entire cassette/freehub fell off onto the ground. Oops. :D
Are we living the same life?

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Hit my favourite trail last night. In the winter it becomes a ribbon of flowy single track (in the summer it's a east-coast rox gnar chunder fest). The descents last night were riotous. High speed, brake early, lean the bike, two-wheel drift the corners kind of fun. The climbs were all do-able, but soft, so slow and painful. Still, wicked good time. Also, because Quebec has pushed back its curfew in our area, this is the first time we've been able to ride this trail at night (it's a no-no during the day because it's a no-bike trail and is heavily frequented by retired, anglo curmudgeons on snow shoes during the day).

Anyhoo here's a picture from during the ride. My phone kept freezing so the better shots didn't get saved:
1614957247018.png

And post-ride parking lot pops:
1614957289497.png

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada

re the fat hub: give these guys a shout: https://wovenprecision.com/fat-plus-wheels/ they have their hubs made in Taiwan for their wheels. They may or may not have extra hubs for sale. But they are local, and know all about fatbike hubs (one of the owners is also an owner of my LBS, and they were the first to sell fatbikes in Ottawa).

Anyways, all this to say, their hubs have steel axles. If they still have hubs for sale, it may be cheaper and quicker to get one of their than a DT Swiss.

Last edited:

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Went for a hike but got a glimpse of the local Iditarod crossing the pond. Some had studded tires, some not; it was pretty dang easy to tell who had what. :busted:

Katz

Monkey
Jun 8, 2012
Arizona
Any CO monkey got a tip for climbing this at Horsethief loop in Fruita? I came close but no cigar.
IMG_5252.JPG

I got up the next obstacle though, after about a dozen attempts
ezgif.com-optimize.gif

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Any CO monkey got a tip for climbing this at Horsethief loop in Fruita? I came close but no cigar.
View attachment 157439

I got up the next obstacle though, after about a dozen attempts
View attachment 157440
Nice move in the second clip.

I haven't ridden that lower loop in a few years, wife loves the descent on Moore Fun so we've generally hit that when we've headed to Loma the last few times. Maybe we'll drop into it this year and if my knee is feeling good for the power moves I'll give it a go and fail spectacularly :D

Katz

Monkey
Jun 8, 2012
Arizona
Nice move in the second clip.

I haven't ridden that lower loop in a few years, wife loves the descent on Moore Fun so we've generally hit that when we've headed to Loma the last few times. Maybe we'll drop into it this year and if my knee is feeling good for the power moves I'll give it a go and fail spectacularly :D
Will be riding Moore Fun today. I like trails here better than what I've ridden in Moab.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Will be riding Moore Fun today. I like trails here better than what I've ridden in Moab.
Plenty of tech moves on that climb for you to try too.

If you've not ridden across at Lunch Loops in Grand Junction you should head there too.

You're a couple of months too early for the grand opening of the new 6000ft descent Palisade Plunge trail in Palisade.

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL

If you've not ridden across at Lunch Loops in Grand Junction you should head there too.

You're a couple of months too early for the grand opening of the new 6000ft descent Palisade Plunge trail in Palisade.
I miss Fruita.

Moore Fun is one of my favorite. Last time I rode Hawkeye which is a nice flow tech trail.

Katz

Monkey
Jun 8, 2012
Arizona

I'll have to come back for Lunch Loops some other time. I'm no Brian Lopes so I don't think people would appreciate me taking up a few spaces at the trailhead with my 70-foot 18-wheeler. Kokopelli is convenient for me as I can park my rig right at the highway exit.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
First ride in shorts in months. :)

This is down at the bottom of the lake in flat farm land. The way the wind funnels down here is something else.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
only got an "after" shot today...
1615424240425.png

for NC monkeys, hit a yancey loop on my own then swung by dereks house and got him out for a lap of yellowbuck (which is actually the peak seen from his porch).

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Went for a hike after work. Holy poop, never seen a trail with so much deer poop on it.

Someone roughed in this trail and cut all these saplings and stuff down to the snow. Now that the snow is melting, there are tons of these sketchy as fuck punji sticks everywhere. :(

The pond crossing looked sketch. I stuck to the side...

only got an "after" shot today...
View attachment 157596
for NC monkeys, hit a yancey loop on my own then swung by dereks house and got him out for a lap of yellowbuck (which is actually the peak seen from his porch).
MEH