Quantcast

The last person to post a picture from their last bike ride wins access to the white courtesy phone.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Sounds real nice! Is that stic metering bloc a similar idea to a SmartCarb or Lectron?
I put a Lectron on my 300 exc and it made it so much better everywhere and especially up high in the mountains. We go up 3000’ immediately out the back door and I’m terrible at adjusting carbs so the Lectron makes the bike much easier to ride up high and down low.

I’ll have to try one of those YZ X versions. Sounds like a good time.

@Adventurous did you get a bike yet? N+1 applies to motorcycles as well, you know.
Nope, and probably cant/won't get into anything until we are settled and have more space. The urge to try however, is strong.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
This thread is making me sad. It’s rained (and I quote a guy on local radio here ‘for what seems like 7 months’ (actually about 5/6 weeks most days or at least enough not to dry out) and all the trails are quagmires.
Some are ‘OK’ as they drain pretty well but it is cold, windy and most any ride is wet as fuck and will result in absolute mud cakeage.

I will also freely admit to hating getting wet and cold and muddy under any circumstances, and over-riding a wet trail can ruin the hours of work put in by builders and I am using that as an excuse too. The last three days it has pissed down nearly solid. There was a tornado in Auckland somewhere. I am trying to be good and work out my arms and shoulders at least but right now I am drinking beer and eating wings when it should be night riding time.

The end of last winter was really dry and that was actually awesome, 12-15°C (~57°F) and dry is near perfect riding IMO. Maybe I will get a bit luckier.

Also fuck you guys, I just asked Siri what 14°C was in Freedums instead of Fahrenheit.
Our trails have a drying out period as the snow on top of them melts. The trail becomes a big sponge and any damage that is done in that period will linger through the rest of the season as it hardens. But after that time, it can rain a lot and it does nothing further to the trails, so you can go out and ride regardless of the conditions, only there are some spots that just never really dry out completely and so many water crossings that you will be getting wet even on a "dry" day.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
East Coast roxx were fun today. Not the best of them just where I had time to kill while others fixed flats.

PXL_20210621_191947014.jpg

May have cracked a seat stay when I crashed into the back of someone with a different style. They were carefully picking lines as I was letting kinetic energy do the work for me.

@jstuhlman may recognize this. The heat and humidity were fucking brutal.

PXL_20210621_190100378.jpg

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
May have cracked a seat stay when I crashed into the back of someone with a different style. They were carefully picking lines as I was letting kinetic energy do the work for me.
I had to come to a very abrupt stop today off a drop. I caught up to some people and followed them on the drop line, as they weren't really pedaling for max speed, we got pretty packed in, then the second guy endos right off the drop. Magura 220mm rotor to the rescue. I would have felt really shitty if I ran over the guy that just endoed the drop (possibly due to feeling pressure from a rider behind them?).

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
East Coast roxx were fun today. Not the best of them just where I had time to kill while others fixed flats.

View attachment 161554

@jstuhlman may recognize this. The heat and humidity were fucking brutal.

View attachment 161555
hrmmm...can't tell. been too long. torrey ridge area?

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
The tent caterpillars have been devastating in some areas this year. It looks like fall with all the leaves down and light in the forest. Some trees have 95%+ foliage gone. Hope it’s under control next year.

51C6D240-B282-43F3-AE2E-9D15741D71E1.jpeg

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Short ride after work. Didn't feel super great, but also didn't feel like barfing like last night.

I really need to stop forgetting my water in the fridge at work. Dammit.

Boring picture where I was catching a breather. And brushing caterpillar carcasses off my body.

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
I'm afraid so. Although I walked most of the trail since the bike is, ya know...unridabru.

I thought about putting the 26" wheel on my Smash in hopes it would become rideable via the supernatural magic of mulletism, but the nano-wheel would probably cancel out the rideability benefits - so I'd still be stuck with 2 unridabru bikes.

On the bright side I am getting really good at hiking with a bike on my shoulder.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Last ride for a while…Rain in the morning makes for perfect dirt in the evening.

101BF867-E1A3-4DF0-9C67-584BF1626276.jpeg

Last edited:

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Dumped rain all day. Long day at work, so I rode anyways.

Drive train now sounds like it's embedded with concrete, oh well. Perfect ride - trails all to myself.

Looks like early spring or fall again, thanks to the caterpillars.

20210625_175324.jpg

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Lazy short ride.

Got swarmed by a cloud of deer flies at one point. Jeebus. There was about ten of them buzzing around in my helmet...:dead:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Lazy short ride.

Got swarmed by a cloud of deer flies at one point. Jeebus. There was about ten of them buzzing around in my helmet...:dead:
Nice.

Our local city ski hill is furiously building a bike park right now, hoping to open in August. This is basically nested in the middle of DH trails we built a few years ago. Super cool.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Splashing in deep puddles was great. Also great was a moving van, genuinely excited to see me track stand at the stoplight, gave me a honk as they passed, rolled down the glass and said, “that’s good bro!” With a thumbs up and smiles. Such a nice antidote to the attitude on the trails.

B2C79ED4-C40E-4E4E-9F8D-76407A6EB0D6.jpeg

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Nice.

Our local city ski hill is furiously building a bike park right now, hoping to open in August. This is basically nested in the middle of DH trails we built a few years ago. Super cool.
That sounds pretty cool.

This is a private ski club, which has allowed one of the local bike clubs to start building their own trails on the property.

It's a good thing overall, I just wish this club was better at building trails. They are famous for hooooge unsupported bench cuts, which on our sandy soil leads to unstable trail edges and stuff.

But hey, at least they left the old dh race trail alone, which dates back from when Ontario had provincial dh races.

Example of poor building; this is a brand new trail they dug a week or two ago.

You can see the bench cut, with nothing supporting the outside tread, on the side of a steep hill. It will take just one rider to push most of the trail down the hill.

And as I'm riding down it today for the first time, I go over this thing and think wtf was that a root or an old fence? I hiked back up and sure enough, there is a steel cable from an old fence just hanging out at crank level, just waiting to grab someone's foot and send them sailing into the rhubarb. Wtf? I found one of their trail markers and tied it to it, I couldn't get the thing out of the ground.

Anyways! End rant! New trails are good! Stoked to hear about new ones out your way. :)

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
Finally got out for a night ride with an acoustic buddy tonight, there was a break in the weather and I really needed it. We had a solid sunny windy day and it has rained so much things are draining quite fast now. There was even one bit of trail that was actually dry, a testament to Wellington weather flip-mode and great builders I think.
As normal next to zero pictures but here is a generic bit of uphill just before the ‘Carparts’ downhill trail whilst I was waiting for my bro. One day I’ll maybe post some interesting pics…

0B283A33-C397-42EA-809B-97BCB5542116.jpeg

Last edited:

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
The construction continues to be insane. Here are all the closed road signs inn no passed today. Breccia in situ and a flower (anyone know what it is?)

8977B367-4F0F-4A64-872A-7491DB715D55.jpeg
813100B3-7343-445D-90C6-CC0F1981D9FC.jpeg
DFD936E0-9358-4A9E-B4C6-EF303539B039.jpeg
4E0506DB-503C-4D4D-9587-2B8F291BF931.jpeg
F423DB91-A67E-49C5-95C1-69075F86BE54.jpeg