Quantcast

The last person to post a picture from their last bike ride wins access to the white courtesy phone.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I've done that on what wound up being a frozen torrent covered in about 8" of fresh snow. All of a sudden my bike was beside me and I was sliding on my back towards the bottom of the hill. Happened in the blink of an eye.
One second you're up, the next you're on your ass. Lol

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
I've done that on what wound up being a frozen torrent covered in about 8" of fresh snow. All of a sudden my bike was beside me and I was sliding on my back towards the bottom of the hill. Happened in the blink of an eye.
Oh I knew from the photo it would be certain death :D

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Holy sh*t, it's hitting 50 degrees here at 61N. Conversion rate, only 10 CDN degrees.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Alaska has some f’d up weather!
You, you usually get the warm rain stuff down in South East like Juneau and South, but around here, it's just bizarre. Rained all last night, 45-50 degrees, everything is turning to shit.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
You, you usually get the warm rain stuff down in South East like Juneau and South, but around here, it's just bizarre. Rained all last night, 45-50 degrees, everything is turning to shit.
Read a book as a kid that talked about the alaska winter. Can't remember if it was White Fang or what. The depiction of the spring thaw sounds a bit like this. That it effectively happened over night. Full on winter one day, then dramatically warm, moist weather coming in, and the thaw starting over night. Within days, things starting to sprout.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Read a book as a kid that talked about the alaska winter. Can't remember if it was White Fang or what. The depiction of the spring thaw sounds a bit like this. That it effectively happened over night. Full on winter one day, then dramatically warm, moist weather coming in, and the thaw starting over night. Within days, things starting to sprout.
The sunlight keeps increasing until it reaches the tipping point where it starts blasting everything, where the sun angle is high enough and the radiation lasts long enough. It doesn't happen overnight, but it does melt pretty fast when it gets to that point, as in snow just can't exist under that kind of blasting, so we tend to melt out snow in mountains a lot faster than say, a heavy snow year in the Sierras, because the radiation makes it untenable. The nasty part though is all the snow turns to water and slush on roads and everywhere else. It doesn't "go away", it doesn't evaporate because there's too much, the temp isn't that warm and pressure is too high. We usually wish for some bad wind storms around that time, because it's the one thing that aids in evaporating. Trails are mush for a while because snow melted on them and super-saturated the ground. Much worse than Fall shoulder season. It's usually dry enough for precip during Spring and early Summer...late summer gets wet again.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Struggle of a ride today. Went north and thought some trails would be packed down by now. Nope.

Got first dibbs on this rock thing. Had to plow a foot of snow before going up and over it.

Snow was way deeper than I anticipated on the back side. Not sure how I didnt eat my handlebar here :D

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
First ride back since my injury! Felt so awesome to be riding my bike through the woods with my buddies. It will be 5 months next week...
View attachment 170815

View attachment 170816
Awesome!

Side note...you have a Mazda mx5 or ? Taking notes for future used car, fitting the entire bike with front wheel on would be a nice to have.
I don't think a stick in the spokes at high speed cares about wheelsize. A 24 spoke wheel can work, but not when all the spokes are on one side.

View attachment 170818
The geometry of your derailleur looks wheelie wrong.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Awesome!

Side note...you have a Mazda mx5 or ? Taking notes for future used car, fitting the entire bike with front wheel on would be a nice to have.

CX-5. I forgot that I could fit the whole bike in without removing the wheel. Saved me a few minutes. Word of caution though, baby seats make this process difficult. Just saying.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Awesome!

IME, it takes a pretty giant cargo size for this to be realistic, minivans easily, but apart from that, usually takes a full size SUV IME, not compact/midsize. Any claim otherwise should be backed up with photo and photo of the front seats/position.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
I did SFA at work today, my bike was in the car and trails start 500m from my work so I figured I'd be silly not to go for a ride.
Creek.jpg

At the moment Pulley are my favorite band to listen to whilst riding, 'twas punk/pop punk Monday, yeew!
Pulley.jpg

EDIT- Yesterday a dude asked me what type of bike mine was, he didn't really seem to like being told that it was a "Mountain Bike".

Last edited: