Quantcast

The last person to post a picture from their last bike ride wins access to the white courtesy phone.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
As someone who has spent a lot of time an money exploring wheel size combinations and hardtail geometry I am interested to see what the actual geometry is. From my testing I did like the handling of a mullet the best but the difference from a full on 29er wasn't worth the rougher ride from the smaller unsuspended rear.

I am going to guess it has pretty much bog standard angles with some short chain stays and a lowish BB.
Honestly it feels like the BB is pretty high. This bike leans in turns like nothing I've ridden. It's like a two stage lean. I get set and in the turn and then it's like oh, let me dip some more. Really noticeable descending on a paved road with curves.

It wheelies super easy - I almost laid myself out on my back pulling up for a lip.

I still need some more time on it as I was finding I can weight the front end more than been able to before. It handles air time like a boss though and gets in the air super easy. The ass end whips around Ike it was made for it.

What an interesting ride. I've never had to make so many adjustments to my bike handling before. It wants to do everything like it's half cocked and ready to party.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
As someone who has spent a lot of time an money exploring wheel size combinations and hardtail geometry I am interested to see what the actual geometry is. From my testing I did like the handling of a mullet the best but the difference from a full on 29er wasn't worth the rougher ride from the smaller unsuspended rear.

I am going to guess it has pretty much bog standard angles with some short chain stays and a lowish BB.
This is what I’m eyeballing from the picture.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan

20220719_134930.jpg

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
Yeah I never really have tried to connect the dots between numbers and ride characteristics. The main factors for me are, am I having fun on this bike? Does it like going in the air? Is it doing things safely or is it squirrelly?

I need more time on it to work out some ride adjustment. When I would get off line it requires way more English to get back on line. I blame the 29er front wheel.

But for my factors, bike is fun and bike goes jumpy jump super easy. It moved the rowdy meter needle way over into what used to be squirrelly territory also.

The bb of my sov is similar, but different sized wheels… so relatively speaking, this has more bb drop.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
No tornado and the thunder held off until 30 minutes before the lifts were supposed to stop. Not bad. Impending doom kept everyone at home too.

Swim spot the other night, at end of the street. It's been so good during this heat wave (and depression slump I'm in).

Last edited:

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Forest felt like a jungle today. Could feel the heat and humidity pooling at the bottom of some of the valleys. Even the rocks were sweating.

Stellar conditions though.

I found a spot where people are going way off the trail, to avoid some roots. Spent a few minutes piling some dead crap on the go around. Hopefully it's enough to persuade folks from not going there. I'm guessing it's mostly from people going up...but whatever, walk it if you can't ride it...

Here is looking down the trail, obviously not a problem going this way and can see where people were going around the tree on the right (with my new additions..).

Here's looking up the trail. Clear as day where idiots are plowing their own easy go around. :dead:

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
In my experience, when you are smartening trails back up, it’s best to use things so heavy that it takes two or even three people to move them. It’s almost ALWAYS some lone wolf, surreptitiously doing the cheaters, and undoing the cheater blockers.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
In my experience, when you are smartening trails back up, it’s best to use things so heavy that it takes two or even three people to move them. It’s almost ALWAYS some lone wolf, surreptitiously doing the cheaters, and undoing the cheater blockers.
Yeah agreed. It's hard as there's no big rocks or anything in that forest and there were no recently cut down logs in that spot. Just random sticks...

Next time I'll piss on the pile.

Though I've blocked a few strava lines in that place and they've all surprisingly stayed put. Unlike in forests much closer to Toronto...

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Honestly it feels like the BB is pretty high. This bike leans in turns like nothing I've ridden. It's like a two stage lean. I get set and in the turn and then it's like oh, let me dip some more. Really noticeable descending on a paved road with curves.

It wheelies super easy - I almost laid myself out on my back pulling up for a lip.

I still need some more time on it as I was finding I can weight the front end more than been able to before. It handles air time like a boss though and gets in the air super easy. The ass end whips around Ike it was made for it.

What an interesting ride. I've never had to make so many adjustments to my bike handling before. It wants to do everything like it's half cocked and ready to party.
This is like the utter 100% direct opposite of my new hardtail. I have never ridden a 29er this able to lean and carve. But getting the front end lofted takes preplanning and significant effort I am as yet unused to. I went with the larger of the two sizes matched to my height, so go figure.

(Also very unlike the Evil it replaced...)

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
Resized_20220724_120701.jpeg

This thing is fast and fun!

@MikeD I think 29ers are land sharks that freight train down the trail! Do you have a 27.5 rear wheel? Mine hops well and wheelies like a dream. I bunnyhopped a basketball sized rock today without much effort.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
I felt that way about every other 29er I have ridden, but this carves as well as my 27.5. I won't mullet this one because it's already way beyond slack, but I will try 27.5 with a longer fork at some point soon.

It's nimble side to side but the length, more than the wheel size, I wager, is what makes it harder to lift the front.

(Sirius s5 by Pipedream)

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Not a bad way to finish a work day. But damn, my vision is definitely off. Going from open sections of trails to dark wooded left me blinded a few times. Will need to report that to doc tomorrow..

And the local hill continues to mess with and add amateurish sections of trail. Like just poorly built... I guess I shouldn't complain as this is literally the last lift served hill in the entire province, but still..

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Not a bad way to finish a work day. But damn, my vision is definitely off. Going from open sections of trails to dark wooded left me blinded a few times. Will need to report that to doc tomorrow..
"Doc, it's like I've been cut loose like a deuce, another runner in the night..."

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK

And the local hill continues to mess with and add amateurish sections of trail. Like just poorly built... I guess I shouldn't complain as this is literally the last lift served hill in the entire province, but still..
There ain’t nothing you can do about that where, the sun angle makes the shade extra dark and on a bright day there’s just no way your eyes can adjust fast enough.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
There ain’t nothing you can do about that where, the sun angle makes the shade extra dark and on a bright day there’s just no way your eyes can adjust fast enough.
Well that and I'm currently dealing with some weird optic nerve and eye ball stuff. I have some huge "floaters" in my eye and have an MRI scheduled for Wednesday, as the neuro ophthalmologist thinks something is causing pressure to build inside of my head.

I walked into my dark shed last night, from the light outside. It was as if someone pointed a flashlight at my eyes, the opposite of what I'd expect to happen. Usually it'd just get dark for a moment, not get a flash of light..

Hopefully the mri sheds some light on the issue, so I can avoid the lumbar puncture he casually tossed in at the end of the session.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Well that and I'm currently dealing with some weird optic nerve and eye ball stuff. I have some huge "floaters" in my eye and have an MRI scheduled for Wednesday, as the neuro ophthalmologist thinks something is causing pressure to build inside of my head.

I walked into my dark shed last night, from the light outside. It was as if someone pointed a flashlight at my eyes, the opposite of what I'd expect to happen. Usually it'd just get dark for a moment, not get a flash of light..

Hopefully the mri sheds some light on the issue, so I can avoid the lumbar puncture he casually tossed in at the end of the session.
Sounds like you need some medicine

:drag:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I just scream “IM BLIND!” as I transition into the shade in AK.