Quantcast

The last person to post a picture from their last bike ride wins access to the white courtesy phone.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
that's the north side of the Floyd Hill trails. If you find yourself down here, they're a blast.
Mmmm...Floyd Hill. Did I ever tell that time at band camp where I rode Dakota Ridge and then had wings and beer at El Rancho and then rode Floyd Hill? Best time EVER! Oh but it was on an ebike. Booo :D

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Any recommendations on good tree ID resources? Would love to know the different types of maples. I can tell the differences between them, particularly at this time of year, but don’t know the names. Thanks.

EF63DE08-ACD2-40BD-9CCB-AA52958C6708.jpeg
D8D20020-EA44-4AE1-901F-AEB740702F5A.jpeg
6275250B-D1CE-4E39-878E-99C68EF25099.jpeg
A409F590-72EF-4A70-B160-55BE7A3492B0.jpeg

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Any recommendations on good tree ID resources? Would love to know the different types of maples. I can tell the differences between them, particularly at this time of year, but don’t know the names. Thanks.

View attachment 183108View attachment 183109View attachment 183110View attachment 183111
I have this: https://www.arborday.org/trees/whattree/book-detail.cfm

It's pretty mediocre, but I kind of think they all are. Tree ID to me has always been "what the fuck is that" then "Oh I think that's a..." then "That's a Silver/swamp maple, easy". Once you know what to look for, you can't miss it.

For maples- big fat leaves with minimal segmentation between lobes- Norway Maple
Big leaves with huge segmentation- Swamp maple
what looks like three lobes but maybe there are two tiny ones- red maple (some part of the tree is always red, usually the stem)
Big leaves with medium segmentation- Sugar maple.

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
Other than climbing, how is Sutton? Heard some good things.
It's alright. The climbs are well made. There is a lot of 2.0 trails which is not my cup of tea. There was some nice rooty rocky sections that are worth a visit. Would take two rides to cover entire network. Disclaimer: I'm a trail snob.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Everyone's favorite activity, leaf peepin.

Amazingly no one has raked or blown them off the trails here. :)

Fork is definitely leaking oil out the compression dials. :s

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
It's a Polish bikepark called Kasina. My friend wanted to go. The hill is amazing for building trails but the trails are completely unmaintained and some literally look like riverbeds so trails that would flow now are loose rocks and roots to the point where they no longer flow and feel more like XC or trial but I am cranky since I took this pic after destroying my helmet and probably cracking a rib.

Also I realized My friend is weird. He loves shit trails. I mean seriously the more square the turns, the less flowly and wonky the trail is the more he wants to ride it. Hell I know one guy wont talk to him because he lied to him about trials in one place being fixed, they went together and the trails were shit he just wanted to ride the shit trails.

Still it was good to do some riding before the winter. Also met an old friend and to my understanding he or some other peeps are rebulding the trails so they no longer look like riverbeds (I hope so because the hill is great)

Last edited:

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
It's a Polish bikepark called Kasina. My friend wanted to go. The hill is amazing for building trails but the trails are completely unmaintained and some literally look like riverbeds so trails that would flow now are loose rocks and roots to the point where they no longer flow and feel more like XC or trial but I am cranky since I took this pic after destroying my helmet and probably cracking a rib.

Also I realized My friend is weird. He loves shit trails. I mean seriously the more square the turns, the less flowly and wonky the trail is the more he wants to ride it. Hell I know one guy wont talk to him because he lied to him about trials in one place being fixed, they went together and the trails were shit he just wanted to ride the shit trails.

Still it was good to do some riding before the winter. Also met an old friend and to my understanding he or some other peeps are rebulding the trails so they no longer look like riverbeds (I hope so because the hill is great)
Glad you came out of the crash resonably OK. :thumb:

I think I would enjoy going on rides with your friend. It sucks so bad that lately all trails get this flowy bermkakke makeover and while the "trail builders" are at it, they also rip out all roots, move all stones to the side and put gravel on the trail to "make it withstand the weather better". Kill list! :butcher:

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Glad you came out of the crash resonably OK. :thumb:

I think I would enjoy going on rides with your friend. It sucks so bad that lately all trails get this flowy bermkakke makeover and while the "trail builders" are at it, they also rip out all roots, move all stones to the side and put gravel on the trail to "make it withstand the weather better". Kill list! :butcher:
I think you mistook what he likes. It's not that he wants trails with no berms. His preference is not the typical berm vs no berm debate. He just started riding when all we had were hiking trails not designed for bikes. So weird switchbacks, awkward steps, generally very uncomfortable, not fun, very destroyed trails are his thing. I love roots, I do good on off camber and generally DH trails like Maribor are my jam. It's not what he likes. He just got stuck in 2003 where we called enduro "freeride" and everone was on those weird Mongoose bikes trying to ride trails that were as fun as watching Ted Cruz strip.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
I think you mistook what he likes. It's not that he wants trails with no berms. His preference is not the typical berm vs no berm debate. He just started riding when all we had were hiking trails not designed for bikes. So weird switchbacks, awkward steps, generally very uncomfortable, not fun, very destroyed trails are his thing. I love roots, I do good on off camber and generally DH trails like Maribor are my jam. It's not what he likes. He just got stuck in 2003 where we called enduro "freeride" and everone was on those weird Mongoose bikes trying to ride trails that were as fun as watching Ted Cruz strip.
No, I am weird as well. Old school, janky hiking trails are so fun to ride. You have to work for getting any kind of flow out of them. Something a little more accessible than this, but you get the idea: