Quantcast

The last person to post a picture from their last bike ride wins access to the white courtesy phone.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
A tree fell at the top of this rock pile, what, over a week ago? It wasn't clear yesterday, so today I roped two buddies into stacking some rocks. We'll just go over it, instead.

Hopefully no one has a shit fit over the disturbed rocks, as it works even better now.

Bonus ride after. Found a skull, a shitty trail and a new swim spot.

Chairs courtesy of the gratitude spot.

:edit: is that poison ivy in that skull pic?

Last edited:

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
A tree fell at the top of this rock pile, what, over a week ago? It wasn't clear yesterday, so today I roped two buddies into stacking some rocks. We'll just go over it, instead.

Hopefully no one has a shit fit over the disturbed rocks, as it works even better now.

Bonus ride after. Found a skull, a shitty trail and a new swim spot.

Chairs courtesy of the gratitude spot.

:edit: is that poison ivy in that skull pic?
It appears the answer to yer question is - Yes, looks like it to me. ( It is Southern Ontario woodlands, what else would it be? :busted: ) Centre leaf extra long stock is a top giveaway. Edges can be smooth, jagged, lobed or a combo. Can be a small ground plant, a shrub / bush or a climbing vine.

1717375740063.jpeg

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
It appears the answer to yer question is - Yes, looks like it to me. ( It is Southern Ontario woodlands, what else would it be? :busted: ) Centre leaf extra long stock is a top giveaway. Edges can be smooth, jagged, lobed or a combo. Can be a small ground plant, a shrub / bush or a climbing vine.
So anything green then?

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001

View attachment 212749
Looks like it to me too fwiw.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
I have that same bell. It came with my Cygo light. Its weirdly loud. But doesn't startle people. I find bells to be good natured and polite.
In Denmark people are so used to bike bells that everybody knows the sound and pays attention. You can even get reprimanded if you do not have a bell and use your voice to let people know you are coming!

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
In Denmark people are so used to bike bells that everybody knows the sound and pays attention. You can even get reprimanded if you do not have a bell and use your voice to let people know you are coming!
Here if you ring a bell people will look over their shoulder and turn directly into you.

Last edited:

Montana rider

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2005
Another 10 mi/2000' ish "training ride" at L&C Caverns while I wait for the goods to melt out...

IMG_20240607_155135564_HDR_copy_1536x2048.jpg

* mobile bong shed

A handful of cars on the road climb, and then zero other trail denizens.

As it should be.

Took the other downhill from the top (it's been a few years/decade?) and I forgot how much faster and buffer (read fun at speed and I need to bleed muh brakes, doh) it is than the "normal" way I go which has 2-3 unrideabru for me switchbacks and bonus climb or two.

Would ride again...

Last edited:

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Another 10 mi/2000' ish "training ride" at L&C Caverns while I wait for the goods to melt out...

View attachment 212997
* mobile bong shed

A handful of cars on the road climb, and then zero other trail denizens.

As it should be.

Took the other downhill from the top (it's been a few years/decade?) and I forgot how much faster and buffer (read fun at speed and I need to bleed muh brakes, doh) it is than the "normal" way I go which has 2-3 unrideabru for me switchbacks and bonus climb or two.

Would ride again...
How's the GG treating you?

Montana rider

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2005
How's the GG treating you?
Still getting it dialed in, but the tank-like frame and move to 27.5" does inspire more confidence in the chunk which is my second biggest weakness behind the "motor"

Too the pie plate granny on the 1xdrivetrain makes everything rideabru.

I hate to type this out loud, but I think I LOVE the new gravel bike more than the Shred Dogg.
The gravel just fits me so much better than the old one which was too big for me and I suspect my crush is mostly due to usage rate at this point in mud season.
Hopefully that will change... SOON.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Short ride with Michelle. It absolutely dumped rain.

The dirt here is quite sandy and gritty, but I wish I could figure out why my chain sounds and feels like a roller coaster chain hill the moment it gets wet. It feels horrible.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008

The dirt here is quite sandy and gritty, but I wish I could figure out why my chain sounds and feels like a roller coaster chain hill the moment it gets wet. It feels horrible.
Chainring worn out?
My drivetrain was sounding like it was eating itself recently and my shifting was terrible no matter how many times I checked rear der setup. Bought a new ring and der, apparently just needed the ring as that fixed everything.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Chainring worn out?
My drivetrain was sounding like it was eating itself recently and my shifting was terrible no matter how many times I checked rear der setup. Bought a new ring and der, apparently just needed the ring as that fixed everything.
That's what I'm thinking. Everything except for the ring is new this year.

Only have a year of riding on this Shimano ring, which I think is steel? Was hoping to get more out of it, but maybe it just doesn't match up perfectly anymore?

Shifting is fabulous, after replacing the cassette last week..

Also thinking maybe it's the chain? Maybe some grit is inside of it or it's not been cleaned well enough previously. We've done a bunch of gnarly rain rides down some loose trails, so after a few km the drivetrain looks like a sandy beach from kicking up crud.. have the chain off and am going to give it the beans with the hose and cleaner. Let it dry and lube up. Then see what happens on Wednesday (I'm sure it'll rain again).

Last edited:

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
That's what I'm thinking. Everything except for the ring is new this year.

Only have a year of riding on this Shimano ring, which I think is steel? Was hoping to get more out of it, but maybe it just doesn't match up perfectly anymore?

Shifting is fabulous, after replacing the cassette last week..
No rear visible wear on the outside of the old alu ring, inside had definitely seen some miles. $20 steel SRAM ring went on, so I'll see if this lasts longer. First ride on it was yesterday, worked perfectly for that big day out.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK

wax-based lube like muck-off or squirt?

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
wax-based lube like muck-off or squirt?
Oh yeah I should lube the chain, eh?

Been using the mucoff c3 lube stuff, it seems to last more than one ride here the best. But I guess I could try something else.

Lube is tough here, we go from bone dry dust to flat out jungle like wetness. So switching sicks.

I did use Pro Gold Xtreme or whatever for a season or two and it was great. It didn't pickup any sand or anything, but I had to lube before and after every ride pretty much. I don't think it actually helped with chain life...

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Oh yeah I should lube the chain, eh?

Been using the mucoff c3 lube stuff, it seems to last more than one ride here the best. But I guess I could try something else.

Lube is tough here, we go from bone dry dust to flat out jungle like wetness. So switching sicks.

I did use Pro Gold Xtreme or whatever for a season or two and it was great. It didn't pickup any sand or anything, but I had to lube before and after every ride pretty much. I don't think it actually helped with chain life...
My experience with dry lubes like that muck-off is the instant you go through a wet creek or it starts raining like that, say good-bye to lube. The best for wet like that is goopy-wet lube, it'll look like crap, but it'll keep it smooth. Second are the in-betweens like dumonde-tech and most of the R&R (which I didn't know contains PTFE until just recently) line, if applied correctly before, these will do pretty well IME.

The "dry" lubes are kind of a boggle to me. So you'd think that this would be the ticket in AZ, but if you find ANY water, like we did at 5000' and higher, that one creek pass would screw your chain for the rest of the riding, grinding sand basically the rest of the way. So maybe in a much drier environment, but you really can't go through one of those gritty sandy wet creeks, or it's just done IME. Winter time in snow...well dry works, anything works, rarely have to apply lube of any kind.