Quantcast

The last person to post a picture from their last bike ride wins access to the white courtesy phone.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
My experience with dry lubes like that muck-off is the instant you go through a wet creek or it starts raining like that, say good-bye to lube. The best for wet like that is goopy-wet lube, it'll look like crap, but it'll keep it smooth. Second are the in-betweens like dumonde-tech and most of the R&R (which I didn't know contains PTFE until just recently) line, if applied correctly before, these will do pretty well IME.

The "dry" lubes are kind of a boggle to me. So you'd think that this would be the ticket in AZ, but if you find ANY water, like we did at 5000' and higher, that one creek pass would screw your chain for the rest of the riding, grinding sand basically the rest of the way. So maybe in a much drier environment, but you really can't go through one of those gritty sandy wet creeks, or it's just done IME. Winter time in snow...well dry works, anything works, rarely have to apply lube of any kind.
Grinding sand is what in talking about. We have sand pits on some corners, when it's super dry.

The mucoff c3 doesn't seem like a true dry lube, it stays kinda wet. But yeah might be time to try something else. But, I do hate the drivetrain looking like shit.

Yeah also strange how winter riding works. I lubed the fat bike once last year and that was it. Probably still good to go.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Grinding sand is what in talking about. We have sand pits on some corners, when it's super dry.

The mucoff c3 doesn't seem like a true dry lube, it stays kinda wet. But yeah might be time to try something else. But, I do hate the drivetrain looking like shit.

Yeah also strange how winter riding works. I lubed the fat bike once last year and that was it. Probably still good to go.
There's one guy on the ITI racers page (that has never done the race) freaking out about the winter and trying to reduce drag, besides changing hub and BB grease to cold-wx, saying that they are thinking of running no bearing seals, using silica lube because "it lasts the longest at -30C" but also that "it only lasts 30km". I did the whole race and never lubed my chain...over 350 miles.

While a couple of these add some drag, it's nothing like what riding on the snowmachine trails does, we go from average speeds in the mid to upper teens in races on regular singletrack snow trails to 4-5mph trying to ride through that churned mess. That ain't due to hub drag.

Anyway, drivetrains just run so amazingly clean and smooth in the winter...with minimal lube. I'm not sure if the ice crystals somehow provide lube, but that's the one part of the bike that absolutely loves the cold IME.

Back to dry lubes...yeah, that's my experience with em, get em wet and all bets are off.

Montana rider

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2005
Not sure if you lurk on the other site:

Back in the day, I used Pedro's Ice which was wax-lite, and I spent 6 months in the rabbit hole testing a paraffin / graphite combo but I'm too lazy for that shizzle.

I can barely remember to lube my chain, though I suppose a chain swap itself is quick.

Just bring a spare chain ;)

ETA: I feel like the petrochemical lubes do better with moisture, and they could be reapplied (as a cleaning agent to flush out the grime) mid-ride if you have a monocle

1717987402057.png

Last edited:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Not sure if you lurk on the other site:

Back in the day, I used Pedro's Ice which was wax-lite, and I spent 6 months in the rabbit hole testing a paraffin / graphite combo but I'm too lazy for that shizzle.

I can barely remember to lube my chain, though I suppose a chain swap itself is quick.

Just bring a spare chain ;)

ETA: I feel like the petrochemical lubes do better with moisture, and they could be reapplied (as a cleaning agent to flush out the grime) mid-ride if you have a monocle

View attachment 213072
wax.jpg

That's what I'm thinking. Everything except for the ring is new this year.

Only have a year of riding on this Shimano ring, which I think is steel? Was hoping to get more out of it, but maybe it just doesn't match up perfectly anymore?

Shifting is fabulous, after replacing the cassette last week..

Also thinking maybe it's the chain? Maybe some grit is inside of it or it's not been cleaned well enough previously. We've done a bunch of gnarly rain rides down some loose trails, so after a few km the drivetrain looks like a sandy beach from kicking up crud.. have the chain off and am going to give it the beans with the hose and cleaner. Let it dry and lube up. Then see what happens on Wednesday (I'm sure it'll rain again).
Do you have a chain gauge? That'll tell you whether the chain is worn.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Beauty day in the forest. But the horses have been at it again, digging up multiple trails. Played pick up sticks on a few trails, thanks to the storm the other night.

Of course I managed to smash the only mud puddle in the entire place.

Well, it smells like mud......

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
The green one looks sketch haha

Is it some sort of grippy paint?
It’s a textured plastic and has good grip. In the wet it’s a bit less secure, but fine using the right technique… i.e. stay perpendicular to the surface, gs into the berms.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
There's one guy on the ITI racers page (that has never done the race) freaking out about the winter and trying to reduce drag, besides changing hub and BB grease to cold-wx, saying that they are thinking of running no bearing seals, using silica lube because "it lasts the longest at -30C" but also that "it only lasts 30km". I did the whole race and never lubed my chain...over 350 miles.

While a couple of these add some drag, it's nothing like what riding on the snowmachine trails does, we go from average speeds in the mid to upper teens in races on regular singletrack snow trails to 4-5mph trying to ride through that churned mess. That ain't due to hub drag.

Anyway, drivetrains just run so amazingly clean and smooth in the winter...with minimal lube. I'm not sure if the ice crystals somehow provide lube, but that's the one part of the bike that absolutely loves the cold IME.

Back to dry lubes...yeah, that's my experience with em, get em wet and all bets are off.
I swear by this stuff in wet and muck

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Humid today! First ride if the year where gloves would have been helpful to absorb the sweat. Even sone rocks were sweating. Also, remnants of a very old stone wall.

IMG_1746.jpeg
IMG_1748.jpeg
IMG_1750.jpeg
IMG_1752.jpeg