Quantcast

The last person to post a picture from their last bike ride wins access to the white courtesy phone.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
rode the classic Yancey Ridge loop in Le Grandfather District.

when we were up there 2 fuckit fridays ago we noticed a lot of downfall. so today i stuck the silky big boy in my pack and did some work. along with cutting out most of the major deadfall, i pruned a lot of growth back. great day in the woods. here’s the biggest one i dealt with:

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
rode the classic Yancey Ridge loop in Le Grandfather District.

when we were up there 2 fuckit fridays ago we noticed a lot of downfall. so today i stuck the silky big boy in my pack and did some work. along with cutting out most of the major deadfall, i pruned a lot of growth back. great day in the woods. here’s the biggest one i dealt with:

Oh wow, that's a pretty sizeable tree there for a hand job! :D

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Well, today was the day of the 100 mile Susitna 100 bike/ski/run race. We rode pretty much all day long, except for the brewery stops, of which there were 4.
IMG_6095.JPG
IMG_6098.JPG
IMG_6100.JPG
IMG_6101.JPG
IMG_6103.JPG
IMG_6106.JPG
IMG_6108.JPG
IMG_6109.JPG
IMG_6114.JPG
IMG_6120 (Edited).JPG

Katz

Monkey
Jun 8, 2012
Arizona
The trail was still too wet to ride yesterday so I hiked in and did some trail maintenance. One of the sections I worked on.

FullSizeRender 1.jpg

details.jpg

The area inside the yellow circle is the original route, built by an individual who has zero concept of flow. It was more or less a tight switchback at the end of a 200-yard 4~5% downhill. Most people skidded, and naturally, ruts formed. Our trail boss, I, and an intern built a new turn a while ago.

7.6 inches of rain we got since October (2.2" was from Hurricane Rosa, average precipitation is 4.7" between Oct - Feb) confirmed the new turn is sustainable, so I closed the original route for good. Replanted some cactii, blended in bench cut, and tossed some rocks on.

With the crappy route gone, I could build a little berm by the white arrow. Not really necessary, but nice to have a bit of support to pump into before getting up the grade reversal.

Blue lines show water drainage.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
What's going on here. Seems amusing.
Old crappy user-built bride was destroyed by muni. User group rebuilt bridge better than the muni builds bridges, muni not happy because it didn’t go through their approval process and cost less.

Katz

Monkey
Jun 8, 2012
Arizona
Out test riding the new winter rig
I'd hate to be the one to tell you, but those pretty neon pogies will fade and become dark grey in a matter of months. Just so ya know, in case they didn't come with a warning label like Intense bikes do :busted:;)

I hope your knee's getting better. I see you got mismatching pedals, still.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
What pogies are you using? My 45nrths are a pain in the ass.
Dogwood Designs, they are very versatile, in warmer temps, I can just roll them up. You basically roll them inside out and then push them towards the center of the bars. They are soft enough that this works quite well and that way you can regulate the heat easy. The only negative is there are little loops inside that are intended to help keep them "up" on your arms, but they are kind of poor at this. They work, but I got much better results by sewing in little straps on the inside and putting little plastic hooks on the ends of my bar plugs. I have the heavy-duty revelate expedition pogies too, but I reserve those for significant cold on slower backcountry touring type stuff. Dogwood designs also makes an "extreme" version, but unless you are constantly riding colder than -20F, they are not needed IME. The stuff by Revelate and 45Nrth is too rigid for most general riding IMO.
15078563_10100960597127848_8151895925909793320_n.jpg

Little bit better pic:
46485556_10101591867990978_489109810516590592_n.jpg

Last edited:

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Dogwood Designs, they are very versatile, in warmer temps, I can just roll them up. You basically roll them inside out and then push them towards the center of the bars. They are soft enough that this works quite well and that way you can regulate the heat easy. The only negative is there are little loops inside that are intended to help keep them "up" on your arms, but they are kind of poor at this. They work, but I got much better results by sewing in little straps on the inside and putting little plastic hooks on the ends of my bar plugs. I have the heavy-duty revelate expedition pogies too, but I reserve those for significant cold on slower backcountry touring type stuff. Dogwood designs also makes an "extreme" version, but unless you are constantly riding colder than -20F, they are not needed IME. The stuff by Revelate and 45Nrth is too rigid for most general riding IMO.
View attachment 133022

Little bit better pic:View attachment 133023
Thankfully you haven't been mauled by any Wolves yet. Thanks for alleviating our collective concerns. Jim