Quantcast

The last person to post a picture from their last bike ride wins access to the white courtesy phone.

Katz

Monkey
Jun 8, 2012
Arizona
Work took me to Moses Lake, WA unexpectedly on Friday. A buddy moved to the area a few months ago and he had a day off, so I bribed him to come pick me up.

We went to Stevens Pass bike park. 14 laps in 4 hours with a beer break in between. My legs still Le Sore.
IMG_2582.JPG

My buddy Beardo.
IMG_2584.JPG

Edit: thumbnail pics are just some silly pictures. Blake (Beardo) in blue is from April 2018 when I noticed he had elbow pads on wrong sides. 14 months later, he was doing the same thing with knee pads. And our ugly mugshot.

Attachments

Last edited:

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
Work took me to Moses Lake, WA unexpectedly on Friday. A buddy moved to the area a few months ago and he had a day off, so I bribed him to come pick me up.

We went to Stevens Pass bike park. 14 laps in 4 hours with a beer break in between. My legs still Le Sore.
View attachment 135905

My buddy Beardo.
View attachment 135906

Edit: thumbnail pics are just some silly pictures. Blake (Beardo) in blue is from April 2018 when I noticed he had elbow pads on wrong sides. 14 months later, he was doing the same thing with knee pads. And our ugly mugshot.
looks flow-y.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
target fixation?
OMG you don't even know how much. First off, she TALKED the entire time we rode. Asking me questions as I'm sucking wind climbing hills in front of her. Daddy... this... and Daddy that......

ONE of the first things she asked when we got to the trails was if we were going to go through the water crossing like we did last time. I said yes of course and I mentally laid out a route that would take us through it towards the end. So we rode for about 4miles (Last year I took her on a 5mile ride and it was too long and discouraged her) and she asked about the stream at-least 5 more times while we rode. Finally we get to the stream crossing. I said I'll go first and take a picture as you go through it. So I rode ahead and when I got to it I realized it was too deep and muddy this time and she probably won't make it. So I yell to her, "use the bridge the water is too deep". So she comes around the turn and I see her taking aim at the water side and she yells "I'm gonna go through the water daddy".... I said... "You better not, you'll get stuck"...... *spash* she makes it almost exactly 1/2 through and has to walk out. I figured with soaked sneakers and socks she's done for the day so we head out to the dirt road back and she says "I want to go on more trails daddy". I find a few more to hit on the way back and she says "I want to keep riding on the trails not on the road"............

Needless to say I was a proud happy dad.

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
OMG you don't even know how much. First off, she TALKED the entire time we rode. Asking me questions as I'm sucking wind climbing hills in front of her. Daddy... this... and Daddy that......

ONE of the first things she asked when we got to the trails was if we were going to go through the water crossing like we did last time. I said yes of course and I mentally laid out a route that would take us through it towards the end. So we rode for about 4miles (Last year I took her on a 5mile ride and it was too long and discouraged her) and she asked about the stream at-least 5 more times while we rode. Finally we get to the stream crossing. I said I'll go first and take a picture as you go through it. So I rode ahead and when I got to it I realized it was too deep and muddy this time and she probably won't make it. So I yell to her, "use the bridge the water is too deep". So she comes around the turn and I see her taking aim at the water side and she yells "I'm gonna go through the water daddy".... I said... "You better not, you'll get stuck"...... *spash* she makes it almost exactly 1/2 through and has to walk out. I figured with soaked sneakers and socks she's done for the day so we head out to the dirt road back and she says "I want to go on more trails daddy". I find a few more to hit on the way back and she says "I want to keep riding on the trails not on the road"............

Needless to say I was a proud happy dad.
how old is she?

Katz

Monkey
Jun 8, 2012
Arizona
looks flow-y.
Yessir. They also had a couple of steep chunky tracks too.

The park is smaller than other parks I’ve been to, but I think we got more saddle time because of it (shorter lift ride, less time wasted). Trails are feature-dense and I thought they were laid out well. Lots of holes and brake bumps, but not too bad if you stay higher on berms.

10/10 would bang again.

chuffer

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2004
McMinnville, OR
Went for a ride without my bike. Trail run at Kennesaw mtn Natl monument in Georgia. Old civil war cannons, steep ass rocky trails and all of the humidity. All. Of. It. Boom.
boom.jpg

scrublover

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
My neighbor with the sorta crappy Motobecane hardtail (heavily tweaked from stock via my spare/used parts bin) finally has some $$$ to splash for a new ride. He has no idea what. So I sent him out on my 5" trailbike/6" fork Commencal. Swapped his flats and seat on. Two rides now, and he's pretty sold. Letting him take it the rest of the weekend to really set the hook...am also trying to get him on other rides/demos as well. I really like my Commencals, and it's blowing his mind riding it ATM, but he has nothing but a crappy bikesdirect BSO with which to compare.

He's got a touch over 2k to play with. I'm suggesting he keep his hardtail, and we find a nice used/better fork for it, and he can get a decent complete basic trail FS for the rest, swap parts as needed.

He actually wants to build a bike though, so...suggestions? $2k USD to play with.

IMG_8040.JPG
IMG_8042.JPG

Last edited:

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
My neighbor with the sorta crappy Motobecane hardtail (heavily tweaked from stock via my spare/used parts bin) finally has some $$$ to splash for a new ride. He has no idea what. So I sent him out on my 5" trailbike/6" fork Commencal. Swapped his flats and seat on. Two rides now, and he's pretty sold. Letting him take it the rest of the weekend to really set the hook...am also trying to get him on other rides/demos as well. I really like my Commencals, and it's blowing his mind riding it ATM, but he has nothing but a crappy bikesdirect BSO with which to compare.

He's got a touch over 2k to play with. I'm suggesting he keep his hardtail, and we find a nice used/better fork for it, and he can get a decent complete basic trail FS for the rest, swap parts as needed.

He actually wants to build a bike though, so...suggestions? $2k USD to play with.

View attachment 136030View attachment 136031
What size? I have a nice Canfield Riot frame in a box. :D

scrublover

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
What size? I have a nice Canfield Riot frame in a box. :D
medium-ish. i'd have to look at their numbers for him. he's about my size, so depending on company, is a medium or large.

basically is at a 1000-1200 for a frame, and a grand for the rest. planning to go cheaper on the wear items to start with, in order to go a bit nicer on the boingy bits. trying to do a new frame, but gently used would work. at that price, it's horst or single pivot variations for the most part.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
medium-ish. i'd have to look at their numbers for him. he's about my size, so depending on company, is a medium or large.

basically is at a 1000-1200 for a frame, and a grand for the rest. planning to go cheaper on the wear items to start with, in order to go a bit nicer on the boingy bits. trying to do a new frame, but gently used would work. at that price, it's horst or single pivot variations for the most part.
How about $850 for a decent M Riot ridden for less than 1 season, with a fresh serviced CCDBACS (still with tags), with in person delivery at Thunder mountain. :D

Katz

Monkey
Jun 8, 2012
Arizona
I stopped in Flagstaff on teh way home to burn off copious amount of Navajo fry bread and lamb stew I had the night before. Parked my truck by the highway and pedaled 5 miles to their newly expanded Fort Tuthill bike park.

There were only 3 jump lines the last time I visited 2~3 years ago. Now they have medium and large pump tracks built with imported dirt, drops, and additional jump/flow lines littered with rocks. Good stuff.

IMG_2620.JPG

IMG_2618.jpg

Wish my town was as friendly to cyclists. They are not interested in spending a dime on trail expansion/maintenance out of $200k budget surplus which they are trying to find uses for :mad: