Quantcast

The last person to post a picture from their last bike ride wins access to the white courtesy phone.

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
thoughts on sugar? worth it? just stick with beech/bailey/wilsonssssss?
IMO, Sugar > Beech. The old NORBA track is still pure NC Rox and one of my all time faves. The blue trails are hella fun, espeically the new one which is long AF and perfect for something like your gonad. They have a new upper black trail, appropriately named "East Coast Rocks" (even if it is misspelled), which is good fun as well. Mainly, the trail crew, headed by a super bro named PJ, is on it and shit is constantly getting tweaked and repaired. They are closing early this year to accommodate a lot snow blowing related construction, although i think theyll open it back up in October for their annual German soda festival. I feel confident that PJ will be able to add some more trails and features moving forward, and tbh, it will be hard for me ever drive past Sugar to go to Beech.

Katz

Monkey
Jun 8, 2012
Arizona
Moab... so hot right now, literally.

I ended up riding a couple of trails backwards because my aging eye balls couldn't distinguish the red dot & square marking the ends of trails on Trailforks app, and it sucked. I may have to break down and get myself a pair of reading glasses.

IMG_26911.jpg

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I spy a fanny pack. Enduro confirmed.
Can confirm (not sure if it's the visiting French here), fanny packs are popular here.

But in all seriousness, I wouldn't call Burke true. Nothing too steep or gnarly. Nothing like Bromont.

Though with that said, I didn't get a chance to ride the top half of the hill....which looks much steeper.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Moab... so hot right now, literally.

I ended up riding a couple of trails backwards because my aging eye balls couldn't distinguish the red dot & square marking the ends of trails on Trailforks app, and it sucked. I may have to break down and get myself a pair of reading glasses.

View attachment 136442
Moab in August?

You're not much of a "planner", right?
I think Moab is right near the top of the list of bike destinations not to ride in August.

(Although I did it once on a race based roadtrip, I think St George as the next stop was even hotter...)

Katz

Monkey
Jun 8, 2012
Arizona
Moab in August?

You're not much of a "planner", right?
Just drove through there on my way to El Paso, and I had a couple hours to spare.

In retrospect, I should have stopped in Price, UT to check out their trail system, but didn't check to see if there's a place to park in advance (my vehicle is 4~5 times the length of Enduro-specific Tacomas and Sprinters).

So yeah, guilty as charged...

Katz

Monkey
Jun 8, 2012
Arizona
In all honesty, it wasn't too bad. Remember I'm a desert dweller from Arizona.

I do think red sand/rock retains and radiates heat more than what I'm accustomed to at home, though.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
In all honesty, it wasn't too bad. Remember I'm a desert dweller from Arizona.

I do think red sand/rock retains and radiates heat more than what I'm accustomed to at home, though.
Rock reflects the heat...right in your face.

Katz

Monkey
Jun 8, 2012
Arizona
Rock reflects the heat...right in your face.
I certainly agree on that. But whenever I go to Moab, it's always areas with vast red rocks or sand that makes me think "it feels way hotter than what the thermostat says." Examples include Slick Rock trail, Bar M parking lot, etc.

I have absolutely no scientific proof though. Maybe it's all in my mind, "gap between expectations and reality" type of thing. Like, riding National in the middle of summer doesn't feel as bad to me, perhaps because I expect it to be really hot.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
I certainly agree on that. But whenever I go to Moab, it's always areas with vast red rocks or sand that makes me think "it feels way hotter than what the thermostat says." Examples include Slick Rock trail, Bar M parking lot, etc.

I have absolutely no scientific proof though. Maybe it's all in my mind, "gap between expectations and reality" type of thing. Like, riding National in the middle of summer doesn't feel as bad to me, perhaps because I expect it to be really hot.
Nah it's real. I notice a change in temp when I transition from greenway to downtown on winter night rides. As soon as I hit pavement and concrete buildings I can feel the temp increase a bit.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
10/10 would bang again. (DH Trail at top of Burke).

Didn't take any real pictures on the trail as it was just rowdy and fun. Big rock slabs on it in spots.