Quantcast

The last person to post a picture from their last bike ride wins access to the white courtesy phone.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
but tree-sizing will allow you to boast on the Internet about how your trails are so tight and you have to run 600mm bars.
Back in the early 90s we ran bars that were super narrow. I had one that was cut down to 19" including bar ends.

A couple years ago I saw a dude on a 29r with a moto width bar unable to get between two trees on the local flow-easy-shit™

How things have changed.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Back in the early 90s we ran bars that were super narrow. I had one that was cut down to 19" including bar ends.

A couple years ago I saw a dude on a 29r with a moto width bar unable to get between two trees on the local flow-easy-shit™

How things have changed.

One of my favorite trails that no longer exists had a section that required you to manual or jump while rotating your bars to fit them between trees, and that was when I was running 580mm bars. Shoulders also had to be rotated and elbows tucked in.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
One of my favorite trails that no longer exists had a section that required you to manual or jump while rotating your bars to fit them between trees, and that was when I was running 580mm bars. Shoulders also had to be rotated and elbows tucked in.
Too bad no action pics, sideways 580mm bars would be hot.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
Why? Discuss, please.
Well, I had it bolted on and went for a ride for the next day, so it's entirely possible I'm just a dummy.

However, if you need to straighten your bars, you need to loosen the steerer clamp bolts. Once you do that, you completely unload the headset bearings. So, if you need to do this trailside, it becomes a bit of a production.

Another thing I found was that you need to have a 2nd allen wrench to hold the pre-load bolt lock nut. If all you are carring is your EDC tool, you can't do it.

Maybe I just need some practice. Anyone here with advice, please share.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
What if you loosen the pinch bolts and had someone or even yourself just put body weight on the handlebars to pre load the headset? Then tighten.

Or!

Try it now?

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Man I love this mountain...but there are other good ones around this area too.

Me riding the wrong size wheels with the wrong STA and HTA and wrong wheelbase:

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
Anybody know what kind of scat this is ? Google is inconclusive. Could be Coyote or Mountain Lion. I would think big kitty with all the fur. But officially we don't have mountain lions in this area. I've seen tracks along the Yadkin river and there have been sightings.

scat.jpg