Quantcast

The last person to post a picture from their last bike ride wins access to the white courtesy phone.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
So much fun yesterday, that is why I went back today. You can not only huck but also jump there.
LS_0392+.jpg
LS_0395+.jpg
LS_0391+.jpg

New fairly crazy drop-into-skinny-into-huge-drop-into-creek-gap line.

LS_0401+.jpg

Disclaimer: I am not hitting all of that (yet).

Katz

Monkey
Jun 8, 2012
Arizona
TL: DR - I have been cleaning my local trails.

IMG_2873.JPG

[Story/rant]

MTB Association of AZ hosted an enduro race last year in our town, and (foolishly) decided to come back for another round. As if bypasses cut by Strava-possessed riders aren't enough, I've seen enough cheating-bastard tactics and behaviors displayed by otherwise-rational adults in regional racing series just to win some plastic trophies, I'm totally turned off and absolutely don't give a crap about racing. I watch World cup/champs DH, and that's it. No offense meant if you race...I hope you race fair and square, unlike some semi-pros around here.

That said, I'd like our trails to be in presentable and safe(-ish) condition when many out-of-town riders show up in en masse. So I have been climbing up the hill and cleaning up the segments for proposed race course when my eyes get sore from staring the monitor trying to finish my tax filing.

So there's this local guy, let's call him Jon. Jon was the main instigator for having MTB races in our town. He's very much obsessed about Strava, KOM, and stuff.

I ran into him the other day, and he criticized that I'm wasting time spending too much effort cleaning straight parts of the trail, and that I should focus on cleaning corners. Jon is reasonably fast, but corners are his main weaknesses. He's racing in this MBAA series, perhaps he's trying to gain an edge. Or, he's worried his KOMs will be taken away by out-of-towners during the race if the trails are in pristine shape. Maybe both.

So there's clearly misunderstanding between Jon and I. I guess he thinks I'm doing this for them. No, as noted, I really don't care about their little shit-flinging contest. I work on trails for my own reasons (meditation, and neglected trails make me sad). I'm simply doing them a favor by cleaning the segments that will be used for enduro first, even though there are many areas higher on my priority list.

And each time I rake the trail, some soil inevitably gets removed from the tread so I'd rather do a through job once a year than half-baked jobs multiple times, not to mention I don't like doing the same work twice.

Irritated, I responded to his request (complaints) by leaving all turns in the conditions shown below. Jon will be alright as long as he goes fast enough to take the high line.

IMG_2871.JPG

Not really, obviously. I can be a spiteful a-hole to select individuals, but not to this extent. And even though Jon makes me uncomfortable with his unhealthy level of racing/Strava obsession, he's generally a decent guy and he works on trails when he can, so he's not on my shit list. I cleaned the area before I left.

IMG_2875.JPG

/[Story/rant]

Le sore, and I want to drink beer nao soaking in hot bath. Alas, I have to work today.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
dang-freeride ain't dead! where is that?
Langesø, Denmark. The area has just about 100 feet of elevation to play with, but it is covered in lines, all legal. There are also more normal "enduro" lines, a dirt jump line and soon a pumptrack. The really big stuff is hit by only a handful of riders, but I think it is cool that still all are helping building it.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
TL: DR - I have been cleaning my local trails.

View attachment 137623

[Story/rant]

MTB Association of AZ hosted an enduro race last year in our town, and (foolishly) decided to come back for another round. As if bypasses cut by Strava-possessed riders aren't enough, I've seen enough cheating-bastard tactics and behaviors displayed by otherwise-rational adults in regional racing series just to win some plastic trophies, I'm totally turned off and absolutely don't give a crap about racing. I watch World cup/champs DH, and that's it. No offense meant if you race...I hope you race fair and square, unlike some semi-pros around here.

That said, I'd like our trails to be in presentable and safe(-ish) condition when many out-of-town riders show up in en masse. So I have been climbing up the hill and cleaning up the segments for proposed race course when my eyes get sore from staring the monitor trying to finish my tax filing.

So there's this local guy, let's call him Jon. Jon was the main instigator for having MTB races in our town. He's very much obsessed about Strava, KOM, and stuff.

I ran into him the other day, and he criticized that I'm wasting time spending too much effort cleaning straight parts of the trail, and that I should focus on cleaning corners. Jon is reasonably fast, but corners are his main weaknesses. He's racing in this MBAA series, perhaps he's trying to gain an edge. Or, he's worried his KOMs will be taken away by out-of-towners during the race if the trails are in pristine shape. Maybe both.

So there's clearly misunderstanding between Jon and I. I guess he thinks I'm doing this for them. No, as noted, I really don't care about their little shit-flinging contest. I work on trails for my own reasons (meditation, and neglected trails make me sad). I'm simply doing them a favor by cleaning the segments that will be used for enduro first, even though there are many areas higher on my priority list.

And each time I rake the trail, some soil inevitably gets removed from the tread so I'd rather do a through job once a year than half-baked jobs multiple times, not to mention I don't like doing the same work twice.

Irritated, I responded to his request (complaints) by leaving all turns in the conditions shown below. Jon will be alright as long as he goes fast enough to take the high line.

View attachment 137624

Not really, obviously. I can be a spiteful a-hole to select individuals, but not to this extent. And even though Jon makes me uncomfortable with his unhealthy level of racing/Strava obsession, he's generally a decent guy and he works on trails when he can, so he's not on my shit list. I cleaned the area before I left.

View attachment 137625

/[Story/rant]

Le sore, and I want to drink beer nao soaking in hot bath. Alas, I have to work today.

Jon is a giant douche.