Quantcast

The last person to post a picture from their last bike ride wins access to the white courtesy phone.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
checked out some of the new dh lines the kids have been building on the out-of-bounds terrain on the local mtn. same kind of shit we used to do a decade ago. we're working to get the land made available legitimately, but in the meantime, the kids are alright.
Fuck yes rock fields. Get off the breaks n let'r rip

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
My local trails have quite a bunch of options at the features. Here the left line is just a trail, towards the right (over those stones) you can jump/roll up the bank (either the lower or the higher to the right), then multiple options to drop to ride over this spine/wallride thing up onto the bank again with multiple drop options (not in pic). Tried combinations today as I usually stick to my favorite line.

LS_20210117.jpg

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
^that is the most options to do the same thing I've ever seen on a trail in my life. Even the "feature" version is..... nothing?:confused:
Not sure what your problem is??? :confused: Surely a straight line would be faster than any options here, but not as much fun.
Keep in mind this is a XC trail and they try to provide blue, red and sometimes black options. So 1/2 - 1 m drops, some with gaps, are appropriate IMO. Maybe you are a better rider than most here, but piecing all the "nothings" together is quite challenging and fun at the same time.

Not sure what your problem is??? :confused: Surely a straight line would be faster than any options here, but not as much fun.
Keep in mind this is a XC trail and they try to provide blue, red and sometimes black options. So 1/2 - 1 m drops, some with gaps, are appropriate IMO. Maybe you are a better rider than most here, but piecing all the "nothings" together is quite challenging and fun at the same time.
Problem seems to be macho bro disease.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
Sorry, that wasn't meant to come off dickish, but after reading I can see how it could be. I just meant it seemed like a lot of the options are very similar in skills required and overall effect when riding. In most instances there's a feature and go around that are very different in size, technicality and skills required. Or a large difference in the terrain or riding style that separates them. I just meant it all seems very similar, at least from the picture.

Again, wasn't intended to be condescending, so sorry it came across that way. Using "nothing" was clearly a poor choice of wording.

Last edited:

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Sorry, that wasn't meant to come off dickish, but after reading I can see how it could be. I just meant it seemed like a lot of the options are very similar in skills required and overall effect when riding. In most instances there's a feature and go around that are very different in size, technicality and skills required. Or a large difference in the terrain or riding style that separates them. I just meant it all seems very similar, at least from the picture.

Again, wasn't intended to be condescending, so sorry it came across that way. Using "nothing" was clearly a poor choice of wording.
Sorry that I understood you wrong. All good man!
The big stuff is at the dedicated DH/slopestyle spot that this trail leads to. Ususally there is only one option besides the main blue trail and the trail splits off for the red option. Here they are all close together. I would say none of them is super challenging by itself, but linking them up can get quite interesting. Idea is that if you are a capable rider you can hit them on an XC bike as well and I see some folks doing that. A couple of weeks back I was at that spot when Simon Andreassen (Danish XC pro) rode by, and this was poetry in motion how he floated through all the hardest options.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
38BC5560-7762-45D2-863D-AF6249E83E8D.jpeg
D4D3CDA3-E330-4BAB-BFA4-370DAEC30BE8.jpeg

Was pretty out today after some fresh snow! Junior taking to the snowshoes just fine after a while. Was about 2ft deep in spots!

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
decent weekend. heavy snow fell overnight Friday and into Saturday. Got out for a ride on Saturday afternoon, after people had been through to pack down the trail. Was filled-in, packed down and quick. Nice!
1610982140364.png

but still a no-go for pond crossing:
1610982193777.png

There's enough snow to fill in the trails for xc skiing now. Managed to get the kid out on Sunday and do a slightly bigger loop on skate skis. Not the best shot, but it was magnificent out there:
1610982303938.png

felt good to get out. the newest lock-down was really getting me down, but this helped me out tremendously.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
17 freedum units here today, 3 with the wind. Went for a skate ski along the river for lunch (they're grooming the bike paths now to give people a chance to exercise during "lockdown"). It was a nice day. I feel like I'm starting to get the hang of the balance and timing of skate skiing. Still need to work on cardio (that's what quick lunch time sessions are for)
1610994585689.png

(I'm in Ontario, and that's Quebec on the other side of the river behind me)

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
17 freedum units here today, 3 with the wind. Went for a skate ski along the river for lunch (they're grooming the bike paths now to give people a chance to exercise during "lockdown"). It was a nice day. I feel like I'm starting to get the hang of the balance and timing of skate skiing. Still need to work on cardio (that's what quick lunch time sessions are for)
View attachment 155289

TABARNAK! QUEEBS!

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
View attachment 155289

I don't understand why people do XC skiing.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
I don't understand why people do XC skiing.
I get why you would feel that way. I feel the same way about road riding and running. why?!

before fatbikes, back country xc skiing was the only way we could get out on the same trails we'd ride in the summer. and it's actually a ton of fun. think of riding your trails, but with no brakes! winters have been pretty shit here the past 10 years of so with lots of freeze/thaw cycles, and the snow pack hasn't been great. you need lots of snow for backcountry skiing. fatbiking bridges that gap. but I still kind of resent having to fatbike. it's not the same sport as mountain biking, and I don't find the skills are transferable to summer riding. it takes me a few weeks to ditch the fatbiking habits when regular biking season returns. I'd much rather have a deep stable snowpack and backcountry ski all winter. or better yet, do alpine skinning. but alas, my local terrain and climate aren't condusive to such pursuits.

Skate skiing is a bit different. because you need to do it on groomed, wide paths, I thought it would be like road riding. But I've found it's more like gravel riding, maybe even cyclo cross. It's so intense, I can't imagine doing it for very long (but the people that do are fucking fitness monsters). The main advantage is you don't need much snow, so the season starts early and lasts long. especially when trails are well groomed. I picked it up as a way to get out with my son. But it turns out its a really good way to get a quick workout in. I have lots and lots of very close options for skate skiing, and in this pandemic year, it's allowed me to transition straight from riding season, and get out every week. I could easily ski a different area every day now if work and kids didn't get in the way!

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I get why you would feel that way. I feel the same way about road riding and running. why?!

before fatbikes, back country xc skiing was the only way we could get out on the same trails we'd ride in the summer. and it's actually a ton of fun. think of riding your trails, but with no brakes! winters have been pretty shit here the past 10 years of so with lots of freeze/thaw cycles, and the snow pack hasn't been great. you need lots of snow for backcountry skiing. fatbiking bridges that gap. but I still kind of resent having to fatbike. it's not the same sport as mountain biking, and I don't find the skills are transferable to summer riding. it takes me a few weeks to ditch the fatbiking habits when regular biking season returns. I'd much rather have a deep stable snowpack and backcountry ski all winter. or better yet, do alpine skinning. but alas, my local terrain and climate aren't condusive to such pursuits.

Skate skiing is a bit different. because you need to do it on groomed, wide paths, I thought it would be like road riding. But I've found it's more like gravel riding, maybe even cyclo cross. It's so intense, I can't imagine doing it for very long (but the people that do are fucking fitness monsters). The main advantage is you don't need much snow, so the season starts early and lasts long. especially when trails are well groomed. I picked it up as a way to get out with my son. But it turns out its a really good way to get a quick workout in. I have lots and lots of very close options for skate skiing, and in this pandemic year, it's allowed me to transition straight from riding season, and get out every week. I could easily ski a different area every day now if work and kids didn't get in the way!
It's good to get out in the winter. The XC skiing is highly variable around here, sometimes it's ok early on, sometimes they have to wait until January to hit anything. Warmer temps make it quite variable. In the years where it's scarce, we are still able to ride fat-bikes on partial snow, ice and dirt, just fine, so the fat bikes and trails have just exploded, despite Nordic skiing being very established up here. The high school and jr high nordic teams are huge.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
I was fat biking yesterday, and thinking about how the trails are now smooth snow highways due to fat biking. It’s pretty amazing, some trails are much easier to climb in the winter now than the summer.
[/COOLSTORYBRO]