Quantcast

The last person to post a picture from their last bike ride wins access to the white courtesy phone.

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
Pics from two different rides actually. First was training for the last race I did this year, second one two weeks ago enjoying the sun above the fog and clouds.

PXL_20211016_122336130 - 2k.jpg

PXL_20211029_131726840 - 2k.jpg

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Does the watch have a remote external temp sensor you stick on the bike somewhere?
Yep, the Garmin Tempe. I actually have a couple of them. Watch can interface with multiple. It's nice to keep track of temps and stay ahead of important decisions on the cold. They say it's only good down to a certain temp well above this, but having used it for years (actually a couple now) and compared with known temps, car sensors, there's a school sign with a temp display on my way to the trails, they are very accurate. It just occasionally "spikes" at a higher temp, which is why it's showing a max of 68 or something. It never shows that while riding though. I get a temp-plot with Garmin Connect too. That part doesn't carry over to Strava, but I believe the average temp (from the watch and sensor) does.

Last edited:

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
1170BBFF-731B-487E-BC66-A69FE7280190.jpeg

love the color of this rain jacket. Sometimes mec makes way more interesting things for kids than it does for adults.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
awesome day @Wilson creek. 50* and sunny. still a bit o fall left. for those who know, hit yellowbuck, which was incredible and left me with a permagrin, and estes/jackson, which is getting worked on, so i will reserve judgement.
heading up yellowbuck

after the flowy, giant bmx track style dh, the soul crushing hike a bike. this does not do the steepness justice

top! no pix of the descent. first part was leaf surf excellence-so much drifting and sliding; bottom half was totally overgrown so you just pedal, put your head down, stay light on your bike, and fly through the ledgy chunk.

then some views of grandfather

and a cool waterfall before the last descent

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
Yep, the Garmin Tempe. I actually have a couple of them. Watch can interface with multiple. It's nice to keep track of temps and stay ahead of important decisions on the cold. They say it's only good down to a certain temp well above this, but having used it for years (actually a couple now) and compared with known temps, car sensors, there's a school sign with a temp display on my way to the trails, they are very accurate. It just occasionally "spikes" at a higher temp, which is why it's showing a max of 68 or something. It never shows that while riding though. I get a temp-plot with Garmin Connect too. That part doesn't carry over to Strava, but I believe the average temp (from the watch and sensor) does.
How do you keep your devices warm in the crazy-cold? Close to your chest?

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
How do you keep your devices warm in the crazy-cold? Close to your chest?
My instinct watch says warm because it’s on my wrist. I find my phone stays warmer in a thigh pocket and chest pockets are often the worst for that. If I’m taking and using an in reach mini, that goes in the thigh pocket on the other side (backcountry ski pants). If I’m doing expedition, I use a Garmin e-trex w/lithium (not LiIon) batteries. That doesn’t need to be warm, full power down to -20 and still works at -40. Last days in the cold on one set. Same with headlamp, use a model with AAA batteries and buy lithium.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Holding onto shorts as long as possible. Kind of odd seeing city folk riding around on their fat bikes with balaclavas and whatnot already. Like dudes, it's not even below freezing yet. :confused:

Pics from two different rides actually. First was training for the last race I did this year, second one two weeks ago enjoying the sun above the fog and clouds.

View attachment 167475

View attachment 167476
Is that a spitfire or rune? Thoughts on the bike?

Did you have the previous version by any chance?

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Holding onto shorts as long as possible. Kind of odd seeing city folk riding around on their fat bikes with balaclavas and whatnot already. Like dudes, it's not even below freezing yet. :confused:
if you ride fast, the wind will get you. Not that you’d know about that! :P

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria

Is that a spitfire or rune? Thoughts on the bike?

Did you have the previous version by any chance?
That's a Titan with mixed wheel sizes and I've been coming off a '16 Reign. I think I wrote down some thoughts in the "new bike or new parts..." thread in the DH forum. And I sent Udi some thoughts in a PM I can look up and post if you're interested. In short terms a very capable bike if you're after a metal bike, designed by a true engineer, long chainstays and have relatively long legs.

Props for shorts riding, I'm in the club too. :cheers: