Quantcast

The last person to post a picture from their last bike ride wins access to the white courtesy phone.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
It is a lot of fun. It has a 26” wheel up front and a 19” moto wheel on the back. I’m building up a 21” moto wheel to try on the front.
Why are you going bigger wheels? I thought 19F 16R would be a good combo for having some fun on rockier trails. Wider tires and such.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
Some trails are good to ride.
20221110_142153.jpg

20221110_141957.jpg

Some a little sketchy to send...run-in a bit covered, but, like where is the landing?
20221110_135329.jpg

...and some are just kind of gone.
20221110_134940.jpg

Gratuitous bike shot.
20221110_135047.jpg

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
Why are you going bigger wheels? I thought 19F 16R would be a good combo for having some fun on rockier trails. Wider tires and such.
It had 19” f&r to start with. It felt worse than a trials bike. This thing is really fast and needs some stability. It‘s very steep here and I felt like I was going to tuck the front wheel and go over the bars at every turn. I would have to run the rear wheel extremely offset to the left side if I was going to run a 16” rear wheel.

I‘m thinking a bib mousse in the rear on a 19” Maxxis mini front tire with a 21” front wheel could be nice. I like trying different setups.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
I’d like to know. He really was jra on the way to school. I haven’t seen this particular failure before. Will investigate later today.
Whatever little clip was holding this part together I can’t find. Nor can I see how I might access that area. First time seeing this construction for a derailleur. Seems totally non-serviceable - for example, the pulleys are riveted on… had to break the chain to remove the hanger. Well, it’s going in the bin to be replaced with a 9-spd setup tonight.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Whatever little clip was holding this part together I can’t find. Nor can I see how I might access that area. First time seeing this construction for a derailleur. Seems totally non-serviceable - for example, the pulleys are riveted on… had to break the chain to remove the hanger. Well, it’s going in the bin to be replaced with a 9-spd setup tonight.
Might still have a short cage SRAM 9 speed if it can be useful.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Stupid moose made me reroute on some ski trails. Was waiting for some anal xc skier to complain about me being on “their trails”, but no one around (fight me). Starting to get back at it and more aggressive trails. Left quad still very weak tho, doc said 40% of normal, but i could have sworn in PT it was ~1/3 of the right by the #. Making the climbs tho and able to pedal out of the saddle and with seatpost slammed.
11127BF3-4002-4FF8-B5EF-20B3DB8F7270.jpeg
F106FA78-3B70-4204-8DE4-7977FDAAEE1F.jpeg
88D34E8C-A871-42F0-884C-CBA0860E8691.jpeg

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Stupid moose made me reroute on some ski trails. Was waiting for some anal xc skier to complain about me being on “their trails”, but no one around (fight me). Starting to get back at it and more aggressive trails. Left quad still very weak tho, doc said 40% of normal, but i could have sworn in PT it was ~1/3 of the right by the #. Making the climbs tho and able to pedal out of the saddle and with seatpost slammed. View attachment 184682View attachment 184683View attachment 184685
The knee functional again?

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
The knee functional again?
I call it my "chicken leg". It bends far enough for riding. It's not very powerful. I can't do some of the bigger vert stuff I want to, but I can ride, I can get miles in, I can descend. FS is helping.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
It’s the bike god’s karma for leaving both the reflectors and the spoke shield on.
The kid is 7, and rides in the city daily. Those reflectors are staying on. Also, you should see the extra throw on the end of this shifter - spoke guard is a good idea in that case.

Bike gods karma? Direct them to commencal product managers and their questionable speccing if parts. The other spawn we have has sram x5, which seems better all around.

Last edited:

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
The kid is 7, and rides in the city daily. Those reflectors are staying on. Also, you should see the extra throw on the end of this shifter - spoke guard is a good idea in that case.

Bike gods karma? Direct them to commencal product managers and their questionable speccing if parts. The other spawn we have has sram x5, which seems better all around.
Much to my surprise when I removed the cassette, the interface is a freewheel! And the freewheel is integrated onto the 7 speed cassette! What year is it?! New wheel incoming. Guess the bike was a “good value” at $700cad, but my goodness the quality is fairly low. Guess it’s ok so long as you don’t have to replace anything! (28 spoke hubs for example) Guess he is also clearly on the high usage end of the spectrum… not the ride it five times and pass it down to the next. Fine with that. Onward!

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Much to my surprise when I removed the cassette, the interface is a freewheel! And the freewheel is integrated onto the 7 speed cassette! What year is it?! New wheel incoming. Guess the bike was a “good value” at $700cad, but my goodness the quality is fairly low. Guess it’s ok so long as you don’t have to replace anything! (28 spoke hubs for example) Guess he is also clearly on the high usage end of the spectrum… not the ride it five times and pass it down to the next. Fine with that. Onward!
I knew it was from the photo you posted with the broken derailleur, but I kind of figured you knew. I was waiting to see how you were going to make it 9 speed.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
I knew it was from the photo you posted with the broken derailleur, but I kind of figured you knew. I was waiting to see how you were going to make it 9 speed.
Never bothered to look, but as soon as I did, I knew I was in trouble. Stay tuned :)

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Icy roots make you look forward to wet roots

No snow like that here, but it was below or right around freezing all day today. Place I rode has those polished like mirror finish roots from so many people riding them. Couple that with frozen tires and whoosh, exciting times.

The white stuff what starting to fall towards the end.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
No snow like that here, but it was below or right around freezing all day today. Place I rode has those polished like mirror finish roots from so many people riding them. Couple that with frozen tires and whoosh, exciting times.

The white stuff what starting to fall towards the end.

Was just a few weeks ago when it was nothing but fires and moon dust. Dirt was perfect below 2000' but I like to get high.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
most leafs are down here bit still leaf surfin time for a bit...
arrrrrr! dem steep pirate trails on the local mtn be drifty fun!

this dude made me a lil nervous as i went under...

junkyard

You might feel a little prick.
Sep 1, 2015
San Diego
I fucked up big time by not taking a picture. But the mrs junkyard has started expressing interest in mtbing. 8 years of me dropping positive hints it took. But we stopped by the bike store to pick up my new frame and she took a ride on a full sus liv. She loved it so it came home and after I fitted her to it we scheduled a ride with the kids despite the cold weather. Turns out the trails were covered in snow when we got there. But everyone had a great time the little one complained despite kicking way more ass on her sisters old bigger bike. Mrs junkyard couldn’t stop talking about how nice it was and how she didn’t realize how comfy and easy the bike would be to ride. Anyway it was a short ride but I couldn’t be happier. New episode of life is apparently starting.