Quantcast

The Living Link has Died (Broken Spot Bike Creates Much Butturt)

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali

Skip to 7:00 for broken bike action

TLDR: It's a video you can't read it.
TLDW: YouTuber breaks rental Spot bike and posts it on the internet. Spot blames rider. Everyone argues about it (cuz internet). Lolz

Lots of back and forth in the bike-o-sphere on who's fault this was and if Spot had a shitty PR response. Spot seemed to just blame it on rider error:

Andrew Lumpkin from Spot here.

First of all, we’re grateful that Alex is okay. Rider safety is our utmost concern and whenever anyone crashes, regardless of cause, it makes us all pause and hope that the rider is healthy.

Regarding the break, we are currently investigating all possibilities of causality, which are manifold. We became aware of the situation on the same day of the crash. We take these situations extremely seriously so we called Alex and Steve immediately, even though we were very busy at Sea Otter. Alex gave us limited information so that he could protect his story and his sensational reveal.

All of our bikes are tested to exceed ISO standards, EN standards and, in addition, meet our stringent in-house standards. Relating to this break, we test our frames to failure in a machine that puts over 3,000 lbf vertical force through the bottom bracket while allowing the axles to move in any direction—it’s designed to replicate the worst-case huck-to-flat scenario. In addition to testing all of our frames to optimize structure, and ultimately, failure mode, we test many competitors’ frames in the same ASTM intended use levels to ensure that we exceed their results. Yes, we buy premium carbon frames (many brands mentioned in this thread) at retail and destroy them to study the results and better our frames. It’s an expensive exercise that is well worth the cost.

In our initial analysis, one issue is apparent—the shock was grossly under-pressured and the compression under-damped. It should have had approximately 60psi (33%) more pressure in the shock! Although it had been reported that he hadn’t been bottoming out, many frames in the footage show that the o-ring was off or at least at the end of its travel. Only yesterday were we privy to this additional evidence. It’s up to the rider to notice and remedy such a setup issue. Alex’s intuition was that something was wrong, but he continued to send it.

The purpose of a spring-damper unit is to absorb the energy from the trail or the rider when riding in uneven terrain. If the spring-damper unit is under-inflated and under-damped, it prevents the spring damper unit from absorbing enough of the energy to protect the frame. With this inadequate setup/trail conditions, if you repeatedly deliver a high spike load to the frame, it will likely fail. We hereby explicitly state that if you ride any of our bikes with such inadequate setup, sooner or later expect the same result. Ask any other manufacturer/expert in the field, and they will tell you EXACTLY THE SAME THING. If the frame is not protected from severe bottom-out events, all bets are off—THE FRAME WILL FAIL EVENTUALLY. Have we had a few broken frames since we started selling them two years ago? Of course. Who hasn’t? There’s nothing new here; this is basic physics. There is nothing inferior about our frames.

Then there’s the next factor: the [at least] three crashes on rocky terrain. As we all learned with the famous Minnaar crash last year, crazy things happen in crashes, even to downhill bikes. To define this bike as brand new is misleading due to these crashes and entirely inadequate air pressure and damping setup with the severe riding conditions. Riding aggressive trails aggressively requires suspension adjustments to protect yourself and your equipment. One very important lesson that’s apparent is to always inspect your bike (frame and components) thoroughly, especially when you suspect that something is wrong. This final crash was avoidable. Again, we are extremely grateful that Alex is okay. We will report back when our investigation is complete.

-Andrew
It didn't look like rider error to me. Pretty standard riding and crashing. Nothing super crazy. And interestingly enough the failure was near this whole Living Link situation.

Last edited:

KenW449

Thanos did nothing wrong
Jun 13, 2017
Floating down the whiskey river...
I just watched this video the other day, same guy my sig quote is from.
That comment pissed me off, and he tried to damaged control the damage control near late in the comment thread. He doesn't seem to know when to shut up.

Hello again from Spot,

Reflecting on my response, yes, I agree that it may have sounded a little too defensive, particularly by word count. Alex has been very positive and friendly to us, as has Steve. We're all on the same page in that we want to find a cause so that bikes are better in the future and rider experience and safety are optimized. Please hear me out as I provide some more context that the readers may not have been aware of.

-The frustration is that we had hoped to complete the investigation before he put the video up to prevent premature conclusions being formed. When I said that information had been withheld, my wording was too vague and therefore may have seemed aggressive toward Alex. Let me explain our frustration a little bit. When we spoke with Alex on the day of the event, he was definitely trying to give us all the information that may have been relevant to us, with a goal of improving product and therefore rider experience and safety. Not to say it was intentional at all, but we weren't made aware that the bike had been crashed in rocky terrain at least three times. Again, I don't think that this was intentional; he was truly trying to remember anything that could be useful in the investigation and I assume it was an honest mistake, or he didn't know that crash history with the frame would be relevant. Just seeing what happened to the Race Face bar show's that crashes cause damage.

-Alex was kind enough to cut a couple clips of the video and send it to us on Tuesday. He had me agree that I wouldn't distribute publicly before this video went live on Thursday. So, in terms of scooping him, he asked that we not scoop his video. Of course, we never had any intention to do so, but it gave us a glimpse into his livelihood and incentives. After he sent the clip, I asked for more complete footage and he declined. I'm not sure why. Like any investigation, you want any and all evidence. We already knew that the shock was extremely under-pressured and under-damped, so we wanted to see more footage to look for bottom-out events, O-ring position, amount of gear, etc. We'd still like to see all of the raw footage. Particularly since Alex had already crashed at least three times. And because even in a seemingly minor crash where the rider doesn't have much in the way of injuries, the bike itself can sustain critical damage, particularly if any part of the frame impacts a sharp rock or takes an abnormal load from the rider's body mass.

-With the high-speed news cycle being as it is, it was frustrating to not be able to complete an investigation and get all the information out at one time. The under-inflation was a known factor from the information we received from Steve and Alex. 180 psi was in the shock, an alarmingly low number. We say on our website that for an aggressive rider on aggressive trails, shock psi should be set to 120% or riding weight (which includes you and all your gear on you and on your bike, including water bottles, bike packs, tubes, etc. attached to the bike) It also had significantly under-damped compression for that trail and aggressive riding (only two clicks from full open when it should have been at least 6). In retrospect, maybe we should have withheld this information as a high-road PR move, but like Alex's strategy, we felt it more authentic to relay the shock set-up data collected from Steve and our own inspection (it is our understanding that the shock setup was done by Steve, not Alex). It's entirely possible that we did not give Steve enough information on setup for different riders and different trails.

-We don't have a PR department or outside PR agency. Frankly, in our decades in this industry serving millions of customers (through Avid, the preeminent brake brand in the industry until it was sold), this is the first time we've had such a media experience. We have already learned plenty since Thursday and will learn much more from it in the future. As with every aspect of our business, we strive to get better every day. As a college coach used to always ask our team, "what are you going to do to get better today?" That still carries forward and we'll get better from this situation. We consider rider safety and experience as top priorities, and always have.

-Regarding the frame, yes, it's absolutely possible that there was a manufacturing defect in that frame. We have not seen this failure before even in our destructive testing, so we're still searching for a complete understanding. We hope to know more after our lab forensics are complete. Unfortunately, Steve had to extract himself by riding the broken bike down the last 8 miles of Porcupine (somehow finishing in the top 70% of Strava riders this year for that section. Wow!). In doing so, the broken area compressed against itself and got mangled significantly, so analyzing that critical area of the frame is unfortunately quite compromised. Because of this, we may never get to the bottom of what happened in that area of the frame. However, we'll use every resource available to find the cause and we'll fully disclose our findings when available.

-We drove to Chasing Epic on Tuesday and presented Steve with a brand-new bike and picked up the broken bike and are analyzing it. So, regarding warranty, this demonstrated our support of the customer by replacing the bike without question. We've inspected the entire bike, including all components, but the full analysis of the frame structure will take much more time, if it's even possible considering the above.

-Although our warranty process is known to be extremely forgiving, the whole industry is in a challenging place regarding bikes and their intended uses. Our current models are NOT made to be used for downhill, freeride, slopestyle, park, etc. If they were, they'd be at least 35 lbs. The industry standard that carves out intended use is the ASTM Standard Classification for Bicycle Usage. Unfortunately, the Conditions (classifications) are quite broad. Condition-3 bikes are stated to keep jumps or drops below 24". Condition-4 bikes to keep jumps and drops BELOW 48" and speeds lower than 25mph. Only Condition-5 bikes are for more extreme riding. For anyone out there wanting a bike for extreme riding, the inference is to only purchase a Condition 5 bike.

-In closing, we are really, really happy that Alex is okay and was able to walk away from the final crash and ride out with relatively non-serious injuries. We're truly grateful for that. We're fans of Alex and really think that he's one tough rider!

-Andrew

The second to last paragraph annoys me because it states their bikes are not meant to do what riders are going to use them for... in MOAB! Seems like they were asking for trouble.

Last edited:

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
My first gen aluminum RIP9 broke in almost exactly the same way. Weird sound beforehand, felt like I had a flat when I didn't, riding hard, but not "x-treme", broke near the pivot, etc. Turned out it was a known issue and bad design/QC. I don't recall offhand if there was an actual recall or not, but Niner treated me well on the replacement. I'll be curious to know if the same thing happens here.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
So now you have to change bikes at the top of every hill to have the right bike.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Who wears bibs?

EDIT- Who would also buy a bike that had anything to do with these two? Created by Avid founder Wayne Lumpkin, with brainpower from Maverick designer Andy Emanuel

Last edited:

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Watching the video you hear it bottom hard several times earlier in the video, he also notices something awry himself but doesn't really stop to look at the frame.

Bibs under baggies ftw.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
ftfy :D

from the few vids i've seen of the guy, he seems like kind of a tool
. . .
I watch some of his videos from time to time. With lots of skipping. he's not that bad, but sometimes his edits are a bit long. He's got a cool project currently building up a Sprinter van into his new home.

One things for sure, he's living the life...

Re this video... Seeing him just ignore a few strange noises was weird. For someone who makes his living through sponsorships and connections, I'd have thought he would be a little more careful with the gear he's been lent, by a company that paid for his trip.

But whatever, the innertoobs delivers more ennertainment Again.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
This thing gave Spot significantly more visibility than they could have hoped for. It is easy to troll crabon lizards but bad publicity does not really exist, esp. given just one broken frame.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
This thing gave Spot significantly more visibility than they could have hoped for. It is easy to troll crabon lizards but bad publicity does not really exist, esp. given just one broken frame.
True. Without this thread I would have never know about Spot bikes and their carbon spring leaf pivot. Just can’t unsee some things unfortunately.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Our current models are NOT made to be used for downhill, freeride, slopestyle, park, etc. If they were, they'd be at least 35 lbs. The industry standard that carves out intended use is the ASTM Standard Classification for Bicycle Usage. Unfortunately, the Conditions (classifications) are quite broad. Condition-3 bikes are stated to keep jumps or drops below 24". Condition-4 bikes to keep jumps and drops BELOW 48" and speeds lower than 25mph. Only Condition-5 bikes are for more extreme riding. For anyone out there wanting a bike for extreme riding, the inference is to only purchase a Condition 5 bike.
Not that I really care much or even know what the big deal is here, but that just seems like....an excuse for...something?

I mean for one, basing a frames strength on how much it weighs is horseshit. How many sub 35 pound DH bikes are out there now, being absolutely pounded into the ground by some of the hardest riding guys on the planet?

I for one would never buy one of their frames, or any other brands, if I saw them write something like this. I don't care what bike I'm on, but it has to handle whatever comes up on the trail in front of me. Whether it be a small drop or a pile of gnarly roots that get slammed into. Unless its labeled as an XC race bike (and probably limited more by the components than the frame), the weakness should be the rider not the frame. I was and am completely confident in my Banshee Spitfire and Transition Scout. Smaller bikes, but I would never hesitate taking them down a more DH orientated trail. Neither of those brands have written anything like "don't do this on that bike" etc etc.

meh

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Not that I really care much or even know what the big deal is here, but that just seems like....an excuse for...something?

I mean for one, basing a frames strength on how much it weighs is horseshit. How many sub 35 pound DH bikes are out there now, being absolutely pounded into the ground by some of the hardest riding guys on the planet?

I for one would never buy one of their frames, or any other brands, if I saw them write something like this. I don't care what bike I'm on, but it has to handle whatever comes up on the trail in front of me. Whether it be a small drop or a pile of gnarly roots that get slammed into. Unless its labeled as an XC race bike (and probably limited more by the components than the frame), the weakness should be the rider not the frame. I was and am completely confident in my Banshee Spitfire and Transition Scout. Smaller bikes, but I would never hesitate taking them down a more DH orientated trail. Neither of those brands have written anything like "don't do this on that bike" etc etc.

meh
bingo. i've taken a yeti FRO xc hardtail from 2002 off at least 3-4 foot drops.

KenW449

Thanos did nothing wrong
Jun 13, 2017
Floating down the whiskey river...
Unless its labeled as an XC race bike (and probably limited more by the components than the frame), the weakness should be the rider not the frame.
:stupid: Spot on. I have never heard of bike conditions. But i would assume its safe to say Chasing epic would not get bikes they didn't think would survive on Moab trails. Nor do i think an experienced rider such as Alex would rent a bike he did not think would survive. Why he didn't check the bike after the first crack, idk. We are all human, but he thought it was just the tire. But yes, XC bikes would not fare well, and i assume that's a trail bike he's on.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
Is that the same Bro Jesus that took a giant group to Pisgah and posted them all sliding around in the mud during winter?
yeth.

"cat 5" bikes . . . lolololol . . . i smell new standards!!! i, personally, will now be asking people what category their bike is. and bike parks should now have you sign an additional waiver stating that your bike is at least a category 4 before they let you ride. "I'm sorry sir, get that category
3 shit the fuck off my lift!"

also, they gave the dude a bike to use in moab . . . did they think he was gonna go for a greenway cruise? and i'd be interested to see the size of the "drop" he took it off - didn't really look like more than 2 feet anyway.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
<snip>
also, they gave the dude a bike to use in moab . . . did they think he was gonna go for a greenway cruise? and i'd be interested to see the size of the "drop" he took it off - didn't really look like more than 2 feet anyway.
I watched the video - that wasn't even a drop. That's normal Porc Rim high speed chunder. The diving-board... I'd consider that a drop.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
And the bike broke in not 1, but 2 places.
Here is what one commenter on the video said.
"Your Warranty page would scare me away. 5 years on a carbon frame with more disclaimers than coverage. (https://spotbrand.com/pages/warranty) Bye Spot, no really bye. I don't see a big future for you."
I don't want to pileup on the company, shit happens and shit breaks.

But...
THE MAXIMUM LIABILITY OF Spot Brand LLC SHALL NOT EXCEED THE ACTUAL PURCHASE PRICE PAID BY YOU FOR THE PRODUCT. IN NO EVENT SHALL Spot Brand LLC BE LIABLE FOR SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL, CONSEQUENTIAL OR INDIRECT DAMAGES
What is special damages? lol