Quantcast

the log bases on the jumps in "follow me"

Jul 29, 2009
in the movie "follow me" by the collective, some of the jumps are built up from logs, and the dirt is only a foot deep layer on top
that strikes me as a very time and effort saving technique (if appropriate wood is readily available) -
but how do you get the logs to lie still?
wont they dislocate when force is applied in a horizontal direction (which is the vector the bike would create as far as i can understand)?
and wont the rot?
and another thing: will the logs only work on the jump and not on the landing?
thanks
rasmus

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
in the movie "follow me" by the collective, some of the jumps are built up from logs, and the dirt is only a foot deep layer on top
that strikes me as a very time and effort saving technique (if appropriate wood is readily available) -
but how do you get the logs to lie still?
wont they dislocate when force is applied in a horizontal direction (which is the vector the bike would create as far as i can understand)?
and wont the rot?
and another thing: will the logs only work on the jump and not on the landing?
thanks
rasmus

you're talking about this one for example?

Dirtjumper999

Turbo Monkey
Feb 13, 2005
Charlotte, NC
It is a viable way to build jumps, however wood does rot. Wood is a very useful material when it comes to build jumps, but in my opinion there is nothing better than using dirt for the entire jump. A ) looks better, B ) if you want to take it down and try something different, it's easier C ) it's life is infinite as long as people are taking care of it.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Depends on the site, but lots of times they build stuff just to shoot the vid and then it gets torn down, so long-term issues like rot don't really matter.

Capricorn

Monkey
Jan 9, 2010
Cape Town, ZA
i'm with kidwoo: they musta struck locks pins thru most of those logs, or least the ones from the lip down to the ground. no ways it will just stand there, unless it's extremely heavy per log.

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
I think vitalmtb had an article on doing this. pics and everything. Or maybe it was on the Transition bikes site..

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009
could you use stakes to build a sort of 'holding pen' to keep the base layer of logs and the next few layers solid and then stack from there, rather than bolts? Also if the dirt you shape the jump on dries quickly and has a high clay content I'd imagine it wouldn't rot the wood much, if at all.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
could you use stakes to build a sort of 'holding pen' to keep the base layer of logs and the next few layers solid and then stack from there, rather than bolts? Also if the dirt you shape the jump on dries quickly and has a high clay content I'd imagine it wouldn't rot the wood much, if at all.
When I say 'bolt' I just meant some sort of fastener. Personally if it were me building something like that, I'd get a big ass drill bit and pound in rebar between them/through them. Either way, it's pretty cool looking and certainly kind of unique.

Zach Dank

Turbo Monkey
Jun 28, 2005
Gnarcal
We used to build jumps like this all the time. The easiest way is 2 vertically standing small logs into the ground as support to hold a stack of 10 or whatever you are using for your base.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
We used to build jumps like this all the time. The easiest way is 2 vertically standing small logs into the ground as support to hold a stack of 10 or whatever you are using for your base.
These are different than just normal framing. They literally look like a stack of logs.....all just laid on top of each other. No horzontals, no verticals........just a stack of logs.

Zach Dank

Turbo Monkey
Jun 28, 2005
Gnarcal
These are different than just normal framing. They literally look like a stack of logs.....all just laid on top of each other. No horzontals, no verticals........just a stack of logs.
Yes i know this. Just saying we built the exact same jumps with out bolting them, just threw a couple verticals in the front. No big deal, and no big difference. :thumb:

TheTruth

Turbo Monkey
Jun 15, 2009
I'm waving. Can you see me now?
If a tree falls in the woods, does it make a sound?
I cannot believe I said that! :rofl:

But in all honesty, I have tried building jumps with logs after I have been building the proper way, and I find that using logs is more of a bitch than just digging. Digging is like reading a book because when you get to the last page, you get that "fvcl yeah! I read every single one of them b1tches!" feeling. Same with digging. When you are done building the jump you get that "Fvck yeah! I just made that pile of sh1t with this shovel." feeling.