Quantcast

The long, over-due Canfield Bros. Jedi review

gollub01

Chimp
Sep 10, 2010
jh wyoming
The long, over due review of the 2010 Canfield Brothers Jedi

The Canfield Jedi is REALLY that different of a DH bike! It’s a cheater bike we always say and laugh ! This past summer I have had the chance to build one up and rip on it, to see what all the fuss is about. Living around and getting to ride with the Lance & Chris Canfield gives me the chance to talk bike design and see where the inspiration for the Jedi comes from. Both guys are super talented and are always out to have fun.

Vie been on all sorts of different DH bikes in the past. Single pivots, modified, 4-bars, app., etc. As we all have im sure. The sport is relatively young and the bikes are finally to the point where everything is dialed . Everyone is well educated on suspension designs and wheel path arcs. This is where the Jedi is so different.

My Bike : 2010 Canfield Jedi (med.)
Full Fox
64 Degree head angle
14’’ BB
40 lbs. with 2.7 DH tubes

The Canfield Brothers Jedi is a scary bike. Its scary because when you first throw a leg over it you don’t realize how fast your going till it starts to accelerate just by coasting. Riding with buddies they confirm the fact that the bike makes speed where there isn’t. You do get used to it pretty quick and its a lot of fun. My last DH bike that I owned was a 2010 Giant glory(owned 2 months). Having owned a 2008 Glory and a 2009 I was pretty familiar with them and liked them a lot. The Canfield Jedi takes DH bikes to another level and hers some reasons:

Frame travel: The Jedi moves 7.75’’ travel up and 2.5’’ rearward. That in its self creates a lot of favorable characteristics. As the bike goes thru its travel the wheelbase grows. Hard cornering….The bike gets longer and more stable. Its such a triply feeling. Lower and Longer.

Geometry: Who doesn’t like stand over height ? Like you’ve ever heard that….”ouch that dh bike has too much stand over for me man” The Jedi has one of the lowest stand over heights in the industry. This allows you to tip the bike over side to side inside you legs with lots of room. Making is easy to pin point a line around a rock or rut or a hard fast turn. The Chain stay length is also really short compared to conventional downhill bikes. That because again of the rearward axle path. Combine that with the static numbers of 64 degree head tube and 46 inch long wheelbase and a low 13.9-14.2 bb….You have a pretty dial machine.

Jumping: Stay on the ground and let the bottomless travel work or take flight and skip it instead. The Jedi does very well taking airs and because of the suspension design it lands with ease. Like water pouring on the floor it spread out from all sides. The Jedi’s ability to compress and rebound help create its speed.

Cornering: Again low and long….Really quick to corner because of the chain stay length but still stable because as the bike goes thru the travel the chain stay length grows. That’s also what make short work for the idle pulley. That pulley takes most of the chain/pedal feedback away so you can pedal thru Armageddon like I say.

I am totally sold on the Canfields design and I just want to let everyone know to get ready for 2011. The new stuff is incredible and the Jedi is to die for. Also anyone who comes out here to Jackson Wee , and wants to take it for a spin let me know. I’ll show you some of the ever changing trails . It is something you wont forget to quickly.

Attachments

gollub01

Chimp
Sep 10, 2010
jh wyoming
The 2010 Jedi "is" supposed to be very linear...however the 2010 and '11 fox rc4 shocks are much stiffer than say its dhx5 counter-part. I weight about 165lbs. and I can get away with a 250 lb spring on the 2011 RC4. Set up like that feels bottomless but still able to keep all the control.

climbingbubba

Monkey
May 24, 2007
The Canfield bros have some sick stuff coming out next season. The One and the Jedi both look amazing. I was able to stop by and check the proto jedi's out the other day. definately sick.

If/when i build up another DH bike it will definately be a Jedi again. I loved my 08 and now that they are slacker, lower, more progressive, and have more travel (2011) they will be even better.

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
Like the new lines on the 2011 version. Think it will be killer to be able to have HA,BB adjustments via headset and also progression settings via shock mount.

flymybike

Monkey
Jan 7, 2004
Jackson Hole
Ha = 64 degrees
BB = 13.8"
CS = 16"

The new Jedi is the same suspension as current models, will feel the same but the entire bike has gotten a face lift. Hard lines with gently bent tubing. Keep an eye out in the Canfield Brothers News for the reliese.