Quantcast

The Lord of the Cookie

What's your favorite type of cookie?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

BikeMike

Monkey
Feb 24, 2006
I don't mess with Toll House. Inferior chocolate chips IMO.

We use these:

Toll House recipe = teh best

Anyways, Ghirardelli chips are overrated for cookies. I wouldn't argue their superior snackability, but that's not the issue here. (Considering the artificial syrup debacle, I'm surprised at your cost/benefit assessment of chips for cookies.:biggrin:)

Last edited:

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Toll House recipe = teh best
Anyways, Ghirardelli chips are overrated for cookies. I wouldn't argue their superior snackability, but that's not the issue here. (Considering the artificial syrup debacle, I'm surprised at your cost/benefit assessment of chips for cookies.:biggrin:)
So what kind of chips do you use?

And $7 for a bag of chips that'll last 6 months or more is well worth the expense. But the syrup only lasts about a month. And it's a GALLON. :panic:

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
I have been cold-turkey on chocolate chip anythings since arriving on the Dark Continent, ironically the ultimate source of my dark mistress, the cocoa bean.

I would kill for a ccc of any kind right now. All I can find are crappy cardboard [shudder] "biscuits" with a thin layer of brownish tasteless paste inside.

I can't wait until our consumables shipment arrives with all 3 tons of Giradelli chips. They'll probably be melted into one glorious block of bloomed chocolate.

On another note, if in San Francisco, visit Alfred's Steakhouse and suck down a chocolate chip bread pudding (made with croissants...) after stuffing your gob with the ol' 96'er.

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
If you ever make your own CC biscuits, don't use chocolate chips. Buy a block of good chocolate (dark, milk or white) and roughly chop them into chunks. Much better that way. I think I posted my recipe a while ago, but here it is again:

250g butter
1/2 cup caster sugar
4 tablesppons sweetened condensed milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Cream these together until light & fluffy. Then add:

3 cups plain flour & 2 teaspoons baking powder sifted together and as much chocolate chunks as you want (use a mix of different choc too). Mix to a dough and roll into balls. 170degC for about 7-10 minutes. Undercook them slightly to get a nice chewy biscuit.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
CC but only if its dark chocolate. I don't like sweet crappy milk chocolate.

Oatmeal or Molasses Clove otherwise.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
If you ever make your own CC biscuits, don't use chocolate chips. Buy a block of good chocolate (dark, milk or white) and roughly chop them into chunks. Much better that way. I think I posted my recipe a while ago, but here it is again:

250g butter
1/2 cup caster sugar
4 tablesppons sweetened condensed milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Cream these together until light & fluffy. Then add:

3 cups plain flour & 2 teaspoons baking powder sifted together and as much chocolate chunks as you want (use a mix of different choc too). Mix to a dough and roll into balls. 170degC for about 7-10 minutes. Undercook them slightly to get a nice chewy biscuit.
Hmmm... no eggs? :think:

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
I've never even HAD a chocolate-chip biscuit. :mad:
See?????!!!!!

You obviously have no idea on this subject.

Please leave the room.

See? The sh1t I have to put up with here! Just try the goddamn recipe and then tell me you need eggs!

Last edited:

BikeMike

Monkey
Feb 24, 2006
The key is the salt. Seriously. These are amazing.

Ingredients:

1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 stick plus 3 tablespoons (11 tablespoons) unsalted butter, at room temperature
2/3 cup (packed) light brown sugar
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon fleur de sel or 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
5 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped into chips, or a generous 3/4 cup store-bought mini chocolate chips

Putting it together:

1. Sift the flour, cocoa and baking soda together.
2. Working with a stand mixer, preferably fitted with a paddle attachment, or with a hand mixer in a large bowl, beat the butter on medium speed until soft and creamy. Add both sugars, the salt and vanilla extract and beat for 2 minutes more.
3. Turn off the mixer. Pour in the dry ingredients, drape a kitchen towel over the stand mixer to protect yourself and your kitchen from flying flour and pulse the mixer at low speed about 5 times, a second or two each time. Take a peek — if there is still a lot of flour on the surface of the dough, pulse a couple of times more; if not, remove the towel. Continuing at low speed, mix for about 30 seconds more, just until the flour disappears into the dough — for the best texture, work the dough as little as possible once the flour is added, and don't be concerned if the dough looks a little crumbly. Toss in the chocolate pieces and mix only to incorporate.
4. Turn the dough out onto a work surface, gather it together and divide it in half. Working with one half at a time, shape the dough into logs that are 1 1/2 inches in diameter. Wrap the logs in plastic wrap and refrigerate them for at least 3 hours. (The dough can be refrigerated for up to 3 days or frozen for up to 2 months. If you've frozen the dough, you needn't defrost it before baking — just slice the logs into cookies and bake the cookies 1 minute longer.)

Getting Ready to Bake:

5. Center a rack in the oven and preheat the oven to 325 degrees F. Line two baking sheets with parchment or silicone mats.
6. Using a sharp thin knife, slice the logs into rounds that are 1/2 inch thick. (The rounds are likely to crack as you're cutting them — don't be concerned, just squeeze the bits back onto each cookie.) Arrange the rounds on the baking sheets, leaving about 1 inch between them.
7. Bake the cookies one sheet at a time for 12 minutes — they won't look done, nor will they be firm, but that's just the way they should be. Transfer the baking sheet to a cooling rack and let the cookies rest until they are only just warm, at which point you can serve them or let them reach room temperature.

Recipe attributed to the Parisian pastry chef Pierre Hermé.

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
My sister makes chocolate chip biscuits with macadamia nuts in them. Bloody things are the size of a plate. Best biscuits ever in the history of humanity. Cookies are for people with comb-overs and dropsy.

Last edited: