Quantcast

The Lords of Dogtown

ncrider

Turbo Monkey
Aug 15, 2004
Los Angeles
i think it will be pretty cool. It's hollywoods interpritation of the documentary, but still it should be good. The santa monica pier stuff was all filmed in Imperial Beach. It was amazing how they recreated the entire old abandoned amusment park.

on a side note. if you're into the skate movies then check out the Gator documentary. It was very interesting. Crazy to see what fame can do to people.

Actually hosoi got popped transporting poundage of meth to hawaii, He must have been up for about a year to think he could get 1 1/2 pounds of meth into the state after he already had a record for that kind of sh*t. he's out though I hear and ripping it up again... At least he is out and trying toget his **** straight, fingers crossed for another addict on the come back road.
hes back

J

JRB

Homeboy's riding the first deck I have seen in years with rails.

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
this movie sounds/looks like all the other sport specific movies aimed towards youth.
that is, lame if your over 20 years old.

Thrashin'
Gleeming the Cube
Rad

the list goes on and on.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
pnj said:
this movie sounds/looks like all the other sport specific movies aimed towards youth.
that is, lame if your over 20 years old.

Thrashin'
Gleeming the Cube
Rad

the list goes on and on.
All of those movies were low-budget, quickie affairs affairs trying to capitalize on the "Skateboarding" craze in the 80's. If I am not mistaken, Gleaming The Cube had Christian Slater chasing after bad guys who kidnapped his girlfriend on his skateboard.

I am sure Lords of Dogtown will have all the trappings of a 2000 teenage movie: good soundtrack, fancy camera angles, Playboy-quality babes, and subtle product placement.

But the people involved behind the scenes have made their bones in Indie Film: the director made "Thirteen", the guy who plays Tony Alva was the title character in "Raising Victor Vargas", and of course, Stacy Peralta made the successful documentary which this movie is based on.

I expect this to be a great film. One huge advantage for any story based on real life is that if the real story was dramatic and engaging, all you need to do is to follow it exactly.

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
Is skating still cool like it was a few years ago? I haven't seen as many pre pubescents carrying a skate board everywhere they go as if it were diamond encrusted lately. I thought the fad was headed for another downward swing.

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
Kornphlake said:
Is skating still cool like it was a few years ago? I haven't seen as many pre pubescents carrying a skate board everywhere they go as if it were diamond encrusted lately. I thought the fad was headed for another downward swing.
based on the number of public parks in this area, I would say it's popular.

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
Maybe it's reigonal. I've moved around a bit over the last couple years, I definately see fewer skateboards in So Cal than I did in Utah.

Roasted

Turbo Monkey
Jul 4, 2002
Whistler, BC
Kornphlake said:
In whistler it is the 3rd sport. Boarders, skate, skiers bike :)...thats the theory anyways haha

I will go see it. Looks like a good flick.

HRDTLBRO

Turbo Monkey
Feb 4, 2004
Apt. 421
I'm definetly seeing it. The documentary is one of my favorite...if you haven't seen it, you need to. I'm not sure if the movie will be as sweet, but if it follows in the original film's footsteps, it should be a good flick.

mtnluvn

Monkey
May 14, 2005
Squamish/Whistler
Roasted said:
In whistler it is the 3rd sport. Boarders, skate, skiers bike :)...thats the theory anyways haha
That theory works here too. Maybe it's a Canadian thing. We proudly boast the largest outdoor skate park in north America, and one of the largest indoor ones - or at least the last time I checked it was something like that:) Boys and girls on skateboards EVERYWHERE! Even some old school ones kicking around. Definitely still popular here.