Quantcast

the man with the 186 miles commute... each way.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
:hot:
With his family still sleeping, Givens heads out the door at around 4:30 a.m. from a horse ranch at the edge of the astonishing Yosemite National Park. On a good day, he can make the 186-mile trip to Cisco's sprawling offices in less than three hours.

It takes about nine cups of coffee, XM satellite radio and audio books to make the drive tolerable.

Givens then usually arrives home at around 8 or 8:30 p.m. This drive home through thicker traffic can take up to five hours some days.
http://www.theregister.com/2006/04/13/cisco_commute/

in the age of telecommuting he works for cisco... i like the irony....

GumbaFish

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2004
Rochester N.Y.
Wow, I think half an hour would be pushing it for me...unless I had a really kickass house and job. Then maybe I could go a little longer.

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
valve bouncer said:
I'm sorry but that guy is a f*cken moron.
I am with you! I thought my commute was on the brink of stupidity at 39 miles (50 minutes) this guy is a FVCK! I didn't see any mention of the car he does it in either. maybe I just missed it, but he probably drives a 72 bookmobile! He is single handedly causing a gas crisis!

blt2ride

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2005
Chatsworth
At one point, I was given a “special assignment” (which was only supposed to last a few months) that had me driving 90 miles one way to work. Even with the additional $1500 a month I was getting for my mileage, it wasn’t worth it. It was horrible; I had no life during the week. After 6 months, I was finally given an assignment that was 12 miles from home…

GumbaFish

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2004
Rochester N.Y.
I thought this was going to be a story about some nut that rode his bike 186 miles to work, which would be like a whole day of work just going to and from work...

imageWIS

Chimp
Mar 19, 2006
Boca Raton, FL
GumbaFish said:
I thought this was going to be a story about some nut that rode his bike 186 miles to work, which would be like a whole day of work just going to and from work...
Well, at least doing that is environmentally clean. This guy on the other hand…

Jon.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
i remember getting up at some ungodly time in the morning so i could catch a 6:30 flight out of Manchester NH...the amount of cars heading south on I93 towards boston at 5:30AM was unbelievable.

J

JRB

Stupid is the only thing that comes to mind. Who can't work from home for Cisco, except the janitor???

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
My commute is 90 minutes by bus or bike and train each way. If I drove, it would be more like 45 minutes, but I don't like ot drive downtown unless I have to.

I would like to be closer, but I like where I live and I like where I work, so it won't change for a while at least.

I wonder if he drives something like an H2, I didn't see that they listed it in the article.

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Six hours of driving each day is such a waste of life. He spends 65 full days every year commuting, and that's not taking into account any traffic problems. That's roughly 50 days more than me. Boy, there is a lot I could do if I suddenly had 50 more free days every year.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
jimmydean said:
My commute is 90 minutes by bus or bike and train each way. If I drove, it would be more like 45 minutes, but I don't like ot drive downtown unless I have to.

I would like to be closer, but I like where I live and I like where I work, so it won't change for a while at least.

I wonder if he drives something like an H2, I didn't see that they listed it in the article.
I suspect that there's more to this article. Like he commutes 3 days a week. Or he does 3 weeks on, 1 week off. I wonder if they're telling us the whole story.........

:think:

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
SkaredShtles said:
I suspect that there's more to this article. Like he commutes 3 days a week. Or he does 3 weeks on, 1 week off. I wonder if they're telling us the whole story.........

I was wondering that too, but that article says "his daily 372 mile trek."

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
We had a guy we went to school with in Phoenix do that. He stayed at an apartment during the week and worked out there But everyfriday after class he would Drive home to San Bernadino, And head back SUnday night. That way he got to see his wife and kids!!!

L

luelling

loco said:
Stupid is the only thing that comes to mind. Who can't work from home for Cisco, except the janitor???
No crap...I wouldn't commute that far ever. I only live 2.5 miles from work and ride my road bike :)

Fshflys

Monkey
Jun 29, 2005
SkaredShtles said:

Me too, then I did the math. leaves by 4:30, 3 hr commute, that's 7:30, 8 hr day, 4:00 PM, 4 + to get home, that's 8:00 - 8:30 PM. Now what if he only has to go in every now & then, telecommute the rest of the time.

black noise

Turbo Monkey
Dec 31, 2004
Santa Cruz
Now why would you live in Yosemite if you can only see it by sunlight 2 days out of the week? He spends 8 hours in Yosemite and 16 doing work-related stuff, and all his time at his house is eating and sleeping. This guy needs a slap in the face and a re-evaluation of his life.

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
When I worked for Fairfax County Public Schools in Fairfax VA, we had a bunch of guys that commuted from different parts of WVA to come work. They had almost the same hours as that dude. They would leave around 4:45am and get home at around 7pm.

It don't make sense to me, but........ they have been doing it for years.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
black noise said:
Now why would you live in Yosemite if you can only see it by sunlight 2 days out of the week? He spends 8 hours in Yosemite and 16 doing work-related stuff, and all his time at his house is eating and sleeping. This guy needs a slap in the face and a re-evaluation of his life.
I suspect he has a bunch of spawn to send through college and can't stand the thought of leaving Yosemite.

def

Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
knoxville, tn
All that coffee sure helps w/ the morning constitutional. I bet he's one regular cat.

The longest commute for me was 2 hours, one way for a summer internship. That lasted 3 days before I found a cheap (turned out to be free) place to say during the week. Although the old man has had numerous occasions where it takes 3+ hours to get from Fairfax, VA to Stafford......but that is all traffic.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
DirtyMike said:
We had a guy we went to school with in Phoenix do that. He stayed at an apartment during the week and worked out there But everyfriday after class he would Drive home to San Bernadino, And head back SUnday night. That way he got to see his wife and kids!!!
I used to work with a guy who had a house in Portland and took a job at Microsoft. He got an apartment in Redmond and would go to work Sunday night and come home Friday after work. It was a 3 month contract the extended to 18 months.

I would never do that unless I hated my wife and kids.

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
186*2=372
372/22(avg gal)=17
17*$2.85=48.25 a day
48.25*5*4=969 a month

Thats an ok apt all the bills and 32 hours(3 monday to get there 5 friday to get hom) of your life back a week.