Quantcast

The Mars Edited Volta!!!

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
I was one of the lucky few who scored tickets to see them last night here in SC (only NorCal show). I have been a fan since they formed but I missed my chance to see them this past spring on tour with APC. Well I saw them at the Catalyst (pretty small venue) and holy godamn sonuva bitch! they just plain rocked my f'in socks off! I swear to god Cedric never stopped playing for over two hours straight. They just linked one song after the other together and added at least ten minutes of solid instrumental jamming to every song sometimes twenty minutes or more. The best part is I scored free tickets from a good friend last minute after I had already given up completely on going. The ywill be in Irvine tomorrow with the Pixies go if you can, they are putting on the best live show right now of just about any bands still touring :thumb:

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
As you can tell by my avatar I am a very big fan of TMV. I cannot wait till they come up to the Northeast. I have seen ATDI live and have seen a live set on video of TMV and I cannot imagine how cool it would be.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
doooood you truly cannot fathom how awesome it is until you see them. I have rarely felt that amount of energy! You must go if you ever get the chance!

Unfortunately I missed out on seeing ATDI and obviously I won't be getting any chances to make that up...

WhiteRavenKS

Turbo Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
neither here nor there
it makes me very sad that so far i have managed to miss out on all the mars volta, atdi (rip) and sparta shows that have been within reasonable distance to me. youre lucky good sir.

stinky|Dan

Monkey
Aug 3, 2002
I second that motion. I saw them at 'the big day out' (a big festival in OZ) at the start of the year and they were so energetic it wasnt funny. We only got a 45 minute set so i can only imagine what went on in a two hour set..... Very jealous. I also got to see SParta play last year and they were excellent. Funny that i wasnt a At the Drive In fan before i became a fan of these bands. I'm so glad they split up.

Dan

Batman

Monkey
May 20, 2002
Mississauga
I've seen them twice. Once opening for the Chili Peppers at a huge venue (Air Canada Centre) and the other time at a small club. They rock!

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
man, we'd love to make it to that show. Our friends are getting married and are huge Pixies/MV fans...and would love to go there in the wedding get-up afterward. Unfortunately, they just can't make it, so we'll all be stuck in a wedding reception...

They'd be happier at the show, I think...

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
The funny thing is most show-goers would probably just think that the wedding get-ups were just street clothes at a show like that...

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
my ears are still ringing from you playing their music on your 4runner's stereo :dead: :D

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
i liked the music, just should have brought my -25 dB earplugs :D . the wheel is still alive, amazingly enough. i completely killed the rear wheel on the evil about a month ago, however. i think i'm going to wimp out and let the local shop (supergo, of all places) build up the dh bike's wheels and the evil's rear hoop

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
Okay so I saw the Mars Volta again last night at the SB bowl and I also saw them last June in Berkeley at the Greek Theatre. They are hands-down the sickest live bad ever. I go into a psychedelic trance once they start playing, it's insane. The best part about last nights show is there was no opening band and no encore. They just came out at 7:30 and played straight until 9:45 non-stop. Also John Frusciante came out and jammed on a few tracks. I am still smiling ear to ear. SO SICK! IF you haven't seen them put it on your list of must do's ASAP.

black noise

Turbo Monkey
Dec 31, 2004
Santa Cruz
Holy revived thread. I missed it the first time around.

I went to that show at the Catalyst too, holy **** it rocked. Before that I saw them in San Francisco with APC but they were like 6 miles away the threater was so huge so it wasn't as cool. Then I saw them in Berkeley, that place was awesome. I love their concerts. I emailed them asking them to come back to Santa Cruz. I love their stuff. Anyone who hasn't heard their music, hear it. It's like high-energy rock but very different from a lot of other stuff. Their cd Frances The Mute is like 80 minutes long that can be played beginning to end since all the songs link up to create an amazing cd.

On a similar topic, anyone who hasn't heard The Hilltop Hoods should. They're a hip-hop group from Adelaide, Australia, and a lot of their stuff is in bike videos. The Grant Allen/Dave Watson section in NWD5 is them, as is the Snowmass 4X sections in Synopsis.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
i'm a big fan of At The Drive In, and i guess mars volta was formed with a few of the atdi guys. I dont dig on the mars so much as their precursor though. athedrivein rocks!