Quantcast

The master of the foothills

XRT_SquallJt

Chimp
Apr 1, 2005
My Marin Rocksprings is a great bike, its treating me well, but there are a few peeves i have to it, and broken parts that if anyone could give an estimation of price to would help greatly, first off, the nut that holds in the entire left pedal keeps coming loose, the front derailluer is broken and wont shift into high, back brakes stick, i need to get disc brakes on it "just something i really need to get" if anyone has old callipers that they don't use that will fit a RockShox judy for then those would help out Greatly, the previous owner has the actual discs but not the calipers..., and possibly a new seat...., deffinetly new tires front and back though..., but if anyone would be willing to donate parts to this young/poor mountain biker than it would be GREATLY appreciated, thanks for reading this, and keep on bikin
Rocky
"Mountain Biking is MY way of life, and I AIM to keep it!!!"

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
I've got an XT front derailur I'll give you if it's the right clamp diameter, let me know what size you need and I'll let you know if it'll fit. If the derailur won't shift into high gear it may just be out of adjustment, a new derailur won't fix that if you don't know how to set it up.

If the pedal keeps coming off the spindle you've got problems, the bearing cone should jam against a nut so they don't spin off when the bearings turn, if the pedal has fallen of you've probabally lost some bearings and/or ridden with the bearings loose so the pedals are toast. I recently bought some cheap platform pedals for a commuter bike at performance for $8. For the price they're adequate, although I don't think I'd do any big drops on them. If you want good pedals look at wellgo pedals at places like www.jensonusa.com, they should have a platform pedal for around $30 that will work as well as any other. I'm assuming if you don't have money for parts you don't have money for special shoes and don't ride clipless. At least that's the excuse I use, well that and fear of ragdolling down the mountain because the pedal was clawing at the bottom of my foot.

The good news is that your brakes are probabally in good shape. You don't really need disc brakes unless you're racing downhill, you probabally just need to adjust your vee brakes. Check to make sure the brake pads aren't slipping below the rim, that could be really bad if it slips too far and gets itself wedged into the spokes. I've also seen brake pads that haven't been adjusted for a long time and a notch get's worn in them, if this is the case new pads may be necessary but they're pretty cheap especially if you've got the cartridge type. The pads do seem to have a lifespan of a couple of years max as the rubber hardens and stops working well, even if they don't look worn out new ones will make your brakes work better.

I've got some old Maxxis 2.3 tires with about 30% of the tread left, I don't remember what model they are, they don't even make them anymore, they're pretty sketchy but might be better than what you've got, you'll need to check clearances though. You can usually find IRC mythos XC tires on sale for like $14 at the mail order places, they're pretty good tires, not the best but for the price they're not bad, I think I've got a tioga XC 2.1 tire as well now that I think about it, I replaced it with an IRC Mythos actually because I didn't like it, it's yours if you want it.

Saddles can be found in the bargin bins at most local shops, I got a Titec Ithys something for $15, it wasn't the top of the line saddle, it's got a synthetic cover but it's almost as comfortable as my $50 Berserker.

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
I just remembered I've got a grimeca mechanical disc front brake, you can have it as well if you want, be warned that it doesn't work as well as vee brakes though. I bought it on ebay for like $10, I got it and after I realized how crappy it was only kept it on my bike because I was going to school in Utah and during the winter when I'd ride my bike to school through snow the rims would get wet, the disc worked marginally better than wet vee brakes so I used it during the winter.

XRT_SquallJt

Chimp
Apr 1, 2005
o thanks very much kornphlake, you can email me and i'll send you my address at xhcrockstarjt@yahoo.com or if you have a myspace account then mine is www.myspace.com/mountain_biker dude, it would be awesome if we could go riding, i've been training for harsh weather and elements...., and the tube for the derailluer is about 1 1/4 inch........., i think.... "estimated" but anyway, thanks for the help, the derailluer actually does have a break in it.... and once more, thank you very much....:-D, you are helping a mountain biker on the rise