Quantcast

the morality of profit

SPINTECK

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2005
abc
Sliding scale. He mays many more millions than I.
Yeah, because he has many many more millions than you. and because he pays less tax, his fortune exponentially compounds so he emasses even more. While you have less to take home and invest.

You have a right to your opinion. Thanks for endulging me. Good rep to ya.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
I work for a Fortune 500 company who's shareholders profit from my labor... so I'm down with profiting from the sweat of children in far off lands.

Unless Oprah says its no longer OK.

Defenestrated

Turbo Monkey
Mar 28, 2007
Earth
so if my portfolio chases down profits by investing in halliburton/kbr, mcdeez, & vivid entertainment, are my investment choices - which are used to provide for my family - immoral?
yep, then your part of the problem, an enabler of sorts

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
yep, then your part of the problem, an enabler of sorts
so if i hope to increase my personal wealth by going along for the ride with shady corps is to some extent immoral, would you say the same of consumers who prop up these corps as well (through daily purchases)?

for background, remember this from a year ago? An anti-terrorist divestment campaign fires blanks

goes to show you can't legislate morality when money is involved.

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
That's what i said. They pay way more taxes than anybody. While it's not a larger percent, it is a substantially larger amount. I am fine with the amount they pay.
you are a dumbass, they pay 60% of the income taxes in the us because they make such immense amounts of money. a smaller percentage of their income goes to taxes than of your average working-class american. are you aware of what a percentage of something is? jesus tap dancing christ, here, maybe some numbers will make you understand:

some random ceo pulls in $2,000,000 a year, while a teacher makes $45,000 a year. 15% of the ceo's paycheck goes to taxes, while 28% of the teacher's paycheck goes to taxes as well.

the ceo ends up paying $300,000 in taxes, while retaining $1.7 million. the teacher pays $12,600 in taxes and brings home $32,400.

sure, the ceo pays more taxes, but he also brings home so much more money. who do you think is more affected by taxes? oh wait, the ceo will probably have to settle for a gulfstream 1 instead of the roomier gulfstream 2 because of the immense amount that he pays toward taxes. what a travesty.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I believe it is possible to make a profit and be ethical or moral. Take Warren Buffett, who has taken some very strong ethical stances as well as large contributions, both in amount and percentage of his wealth, to philanthropy.

I do not think it is easy to follow the rules and be successful, but there is a benefit for it: the ability to hold your head high.

It is worth something to do this.

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
If the majority of their income comes in the form of long-term capital gains (just means it was invested for more than a year, which can mean invested in a fund for more than a year, even if the fund was trading daily), they are taxed at 15%.

Considering we are talking about wealthy people, this scenario is pretty realistic.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
If the majority of their income comes in the form of long-term capital gains (just means it was invested for more than a year, which can mean invested in a fund for more than a year, even if the fund was trading daily), they are taxed at 15%.

Considering we are talking about wealthy people, this scenario is pretty realistic.
judas electric sliding priest, i expect when talking out of my ass that you send someone to sop it up w/ a biscuit, not try and make sense of it.

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
judas electric sliding priest, i expect when talking out of my ass that you send someone to sop it up w/ a biscuit, not try and make sense of it.
I sop only with the ultra-absorbent biscuity-goodness of reason.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
In any system, moral behavior is moral behavior and carries its benefits and drawbacks, just like immoral behavior.

Of course, morality is contextual as well, so this is simply silly, all the know-it-all adolescents aside.

Thinking that any economic or political system will force people into morality, or even necessarily entice them toward it, is folly.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
All monkey-sh!t flinging aside, it appears themontashu has gone to college.

Oh noes! ;)

Capitalism benefits the haves over the have-nots 99% of the time. It's an evil system that allows those on top to fvck everyone else. The end. :)

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
Capitalism benefits the haves over the have-nots 99% of the time.
i hope we can both agree our country has an epidemic of laziness, which capitalism doesn't reward with favor. so what would you prefer over our current system?

it's a serious question.

Red Rabbit

Picky Pooper
Jan 27, 2007
Colorado
So the average person pays a higher percent tax than the rich and you are ok with that?
It's more that I accept it. It's not going to change and it really doesn't matter that much.

People get soooo heated over this subject, stop worrying about it.

It's not like the gov't isn't collecting anything from them. Liek i said, they pay 60percent of all income taxes paid.

Acceptance is a great thing, makes life a hell of a lot easier.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
You cannot bring about prosperity by discouraging thrift.
You cannot help small men by tearing down big men.
You cannot strengthen the weak by weakening the strong.
You cannot lift the wage earner by pulling down the wage payer.
You cannot help the poor man by destroying the rich.
You cannot keep out of trouble by spending more than your income.
You cannot further the brotherhood of man by inciting class hatred.
You cannot establish security on borrowed money.
You cannot build character and courage by taking away men's initiative and independence.
You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves.

-- Rev. William John Henry Boetcker, 1873

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
is this moral?

hillaryclinton.com
Hillary is unveiling her aggressive plan to address the problem of skyrocketing gas prices. Hillary's plan includes:

• Imposing a windfall profits tax on oil companies and using the money to suspend the gas tax for the peak summer months;
  • Closing $7.5 billion in oil and gas loopholes and using the funds to provide assistance for lower-income families to pay their energy and grocery bills
  • Cracking down on speculation by energy traders and market manipulation in oil and gas markets that are driving up the price of oil by at least $20 a barrel
  • Pressuring OPEC to increase oil production, including by filing a WTO complaint against OPEC countries

Hillary’s plan will be fully paid for by taking away oil company profits

Oil and gasoline markets contain loopholes for traders, and the markets are inadequately policed [free markets seldom are, honey]
re-distribution of earned assets & market manipulation anyone? leftist havens like norway & canada, as well as egregious environmental polluters like china & nigeria are getting record leases for off-shore drilling (even in the gulf of mexico) and all she can do is play her fiddle?

seems like an odd way to go about getting elected.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
is this moral?

hillaryclinton.comre-distribution of earned assets & market manipulation anyone? leftist havens like norway & canada, as well as egregious environmental polluters like china & nigeria are getting record leases for off-shore drilling (even in the gulf of mexico) and all she can do is play her fiddle?

seems like an odd way to go about getting elected.
You think we should continue giving tax breaks to oil companies?

And the American government has always controlled price speculation because it screws the customer over. It is not exactly fair.

Last edited:

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
a cartoonish question warrants a cartoonish response:
When the price of gas is X dollars at the pump, who pays that tax: the average citizen.

When the US Govt give big tax breaks to the oil companies who pays the breaks: the average citizen.

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
a cartoonish question warrants a cartoonish response:

how do they do this?
Didn't exxon mobile for the 10th or so time in a row set the profit record for a company? And lets not also forget that the money the government gives exxon mobile (and doesn't ever seen to get back) for exploring new oil, or the corporate tax cuts. Oh and lets also not forget the fact that oil prices has slightly more than doubled, all other cost has stayed pretty close to the same, and gas prices have almost tripled now. Oil companies are making a lote more than 10 cents a gallon

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
When the price of gas is X dollars at the pump, who pays that tax: the average citizen.
what does that have to do w/ the oil companies? (hint: "{}") it has everything to do w/ our elected leaders, who levy the tax. in fact, it's called a levy.
When the US Govt give big tax breaks to the oil companies who pays the breaks: the average citizen.
should i also feel guilt b/c me & my family also enjoy tax breaks? i should also point out these tax breaks as a portion are larger than those enjoyed by the oil companies.
TheMontashu said:
Didn't exxon mobile for the 10th or so time in a row set the profit record for a company? And lets not also forget that the money the government gives exxon mobile (and doesn't ever seen to get back) for exploring new oil, or the corporate tax cuts. Oh and lets also not forget the fact that oil prices has slightly more than doubled, all other cost has stayed pretty close to the same, and gas prices have almost tripled now. Oil companies are making a lote more than 10 cents a gallon
since exxon is the largest corporation in the world (yes, it's true), it makes perfect sense they have the largest profit. do you think they got to be that way b/c they suck at teh business? would you have the gov't penalize them for exploring for oil? the demand is still out there. i would rather have it go to an american company than saudis. i hope we can agree on that.

as far as prices doubling goes, the oil market is global and china & india are increasing their demand of the limited supply of resources. did you catch that? i used 'supply' and 'demand' in the same sentence, but not in that order. i can see where you could get confused.

i have previously provided sources showing oil companies profit margins hover in the upper single-digits. if you have other info, please throw that **** up.
sanjuro said:
Hey Stinkle, you ever heard of the Security and Exchange Commission?
yes; please clearly tie that in

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
what does that have to do w/ the oil companies? (hint: "{}") it has everything to do w/ our elected leaders, who levy the tax. in fact, it's called a levy.
And the oil companies have no influence on the American Government? Like a VP who was the chairman of the largest oil service company?
should i also feel guilt b/c me & my family also enjoy tax breaks? i should also point out these tax breaks as a portion are larger than those enjoyed by the oil companies.
You got multi billion dollar tax return?

If the oil companies were in a down turn, like when the price of oil was $12 a barrel, then I can appreciate the tax breaks. It is $130 a barrel now, and these companies are receiving record profits.

since exxon is the largest corporation in the world (yes, it's true), it makes perfect sense they have the largest profit. do you think they got to be that way b/c they suck at teh business? would you have the gov't penalize them for exploring for oil? the demand is still out there. i would rather have it go to an american company than saudis. i hope we can agree on that.
Maybe you have forgotten, but I used to work for Exxon's direct competitor, and I still have a lot of money tied into their business.

I am not for hamstringing my profits, but I can't why we need to help them when they are doing super-well.
I said the govt stops price speculation. The SEC is one example of this. I didn't say it had to do with the oil business.

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless

as far as prices doubling goes, the oil market is global and china & india are increasing their demand of the limited supply of resources. did you catch that? i used 'supply' and 'demand' in the same sentence, but not in that order. i can see where you could get confused.

i have previously provided sources showing oil companies profit margins hover in the upper single-digits. if you have other info, please throw that **** up.
I'm not saying we should penalize oil companies for exploring new oil, but when they are making billions a year, the TAX PLAYERS should not be paying for it. I'm not suggesting we not give oil companies tax payer money, and that we also collect on penalties for environmental and labor issues.

I understand supply and demand, I do not believe how ever that it would cause gas prices to triple. Demand effects crude prices, crude prices double cost for demand as well as middle east instability. Crude prices doubling causing gas prices to nearly triple doesn't sit right with me and it looks to me that something more than simple supply and demand is changing things

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
sanj: so what you're saying is
- exxon & their ilk have found a way to make profits outside of the global supply/demand
- have found a sufficiently influential ally in dick cheney to lock in those ill-gotten gains?
- taxes, while 4X+ the profit margin, are a necessary evil which should not be questioned for the only reason they cannot be called "profit"
- the profit-to-tax ratio is a bit misaligned for arbitrary reasons

when we walk back the cat, this is a bit intriguing given the tongue lashing issued by big oil last week to tell gov't the reason why supply is so disproportionate is due to their hamstringing legislation. doesn't exactly look like big oil is in their pockets, but congress could do something to give relief in the near term.