Quantcast

The move from 26 to 24s

untitledsince89

Turbo Monkey
Nov 11, 2005
Winston-Salem NC
I've been riding a p2 chromo for the last two years and love it, but after riding a lot of street of it this past season, I feel a 24 would better suit my needs.
The only problem is that my 26 is my do it all street, trail, ds bike, and if I switch to 24 then I won't have a bike to fill that gap.

So should I suck it up get a 24" street bike like the new wtp?
and DS short travel rig to fill the gap
Or is riding trails on a 24 with a susy fork be a better fit.

Input, ideas, whatever
I've been putting it off for to long and need to make a decision this off season

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
I've been riding a p2 chromo for the last two years and love it, but after riding a lot of street of it this past season, I feel a 24 would better suit my needs.
The only problem is that my 26 is my do it all street, trail, ds bike, and if I switch to 24 then I won't have a bike to fill that gap.

So should I suck it up get a 24" street bike like the new wtp?
and DS short travel rig to fill the gap
Or is riding trails on a 24 with a susy fork be a better fit.

Input, ideas, whatever
I've been putting it off for to long and need to make a decision this off season
just depends if you want the sus fork option or not.....

sittingduck

Turbo Monkey
Jun 22, 2007
Oregon
Get the 24s for street, and set up a hardtail or short travel DS for everything else....
You have to figure out where you want your compromises, or else you end up with 4 or 5 bikes. Which is fine too, if you have the funds and a place to park 'em all!
Look at your main riding habits and locations real hard....... The right choice will come to you.
I probably wouldn't want to make a 24" bike an "all-around" like you can with a 26. Street/park is very doable on a 26, but freeride is not so great on 24s.

jonfaure

Chimp
Feb 9, 2009
San Marcos CA
I was riding a Eastern black betty with Argyle 318 lowered to 60mm travel and a 24" wheelset. It worked great for all. My first love is to ride dirt jumps, second would be park. I haven't spent a whole lot of time riding street. I recently switched to riding the Sunday model c. It has been an amazing change for me. Especially riding dirt. I can boost higher and I have more control. Same for park. And, from what I understand it is awesome for street. As soon as I got on this bike I forgot all about my mtb and sold it the next week.

nwd_26

Monkey
Nov 29, 2007
Toronto, Onterrible
I have a somewhat similar dilemna. I ride a Majesty with 26" wheels and suspension, and I ride it almost exclusively on street and jumps. All I've ever ridden is 26" wheels. Shortly I'll be building up another 26" hardtail to use for XC, so it'll be exclusively MTBMX territory soon.

I'm wondering why people prefer 26" wheels..24"s seem lighter and stronger, besides allowing for a smaller bike overall. Is it just people keeping it real? Some people switch up from 24"s to 26"s and prefer the larger wheels.

I've been thinking of getting a 24" wheelset and a Fall Guy from Taiwan, running that with all of the parts from my Majesty, and then selling either that or my Majesty/26" wheelset, depending on which set-up I prefer. But sepnding four figures on a set-up I won't necessarily even like seems a little rash.

Some input would be appreciated.

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
I was riding a Eastern black betty with Argyle 318 lowered to 60mm travel and a 24" wheelset. . . . .
I always preferred the 24's. But there really isn't that huge of a difference in how they ride.

Most of the riders on this board and others agree that 24" wheels on a 26" mtb is not a great setup. It's dropping your bottom bracket lower and not really getting the shorter-chainstay advantages you could be getting with a 24" specific mtbmx frame.

There are 24" wheel specific bikes out there, like the Union Street Molly Maguire, Tonic Fab Fall Guy, NS Suburban 24", Superco Satellite 24", etc. that would be a huge difference.

untitledsince89

Turbo Monkey
Nov 11, 2005
Winston-Salem NC
I have a somewhat similar dilemna. I ride a Majesty with 26" wheels and suspension, and I ride it almost exclusively on street and jumps. All I've ever ridden is 26" wheels. Shortly I'll be building up another 26" hardtail to use for XC, so it'll be exclusively MTBMX territory soon.

I'm wondering why people prefer 26" wheels..24"s seem lighter and stronger, besides allowing for a smaller bike overall. Is it just people keeping it real? Some people switch up from 24"s to 26"s and prefer the larger wheels.

I've been thinking of getting a 24" wheelset and a Fall Guy from Taiwan, running that with all of the parts from my Majesty, and then selling either that or my Majesty/26" wheelset, depending on which set-up I prefer. But sepnding four figures on a set-up I won't necessarily even like seems a little rash.

Some input would be appreciated.
I feel that I really would like to go to 24s either way the real part is having suspension or not.
If I get rid of my 26 then I'm stuck with my fully downhill rig, so I have nothing for trails and in between
I've seen quite a few people riding 24s with suspension on rougher sections,
anyone personally switched to that sort of set-up for there do it all from a 26?

sittingduck

Turbo Monkey
Jun 22, 2007
Oregon
Save some cash, and buy something used over the winter.... then you can really dedicate the 24" bike to street/park, and keep the hardtail for the stuff you don't ride the fully on.

DirtBag

Monkey
Feb 1, 2006
Well here is my story. I started getting into DJ late in life at age 33. BMX raced for many, many years and back then decided that 20" was not happening and moved to cruiser. I built a cheap DJ using some spare parts and getting a SC chamelion frame. Not bad nut not ideal. Changed some things around and eventually got a BM Riot frame and built a new bike from the ground up. I loved it. I then had a chance to get a Mob frame and swapped out all the parts and the bike is currently the best bike I have ever ridden. It took me 4 months to get everything right as far as crankset, pedals, stem, gearing etc. to get the feel dialed.

As I started riding indoors for the winter and hitting a lot of the quarters, hips etc. I found that a lot of the build of park/street is geared for a 20" - except for certain places. Sure I can ride my Mob in nearly everything but a lot of places make it hard with tight quarters and lips and whatnot. I had the urge to build a 24" specific DJ machine. Ended up finding a used USB Molly frame and grabbed it. I completely built it up from scratch mimicking the feel of the Mob with certain parts. As I began riding the Molly in certain places I found that I liked it better.

Took a trip to Rays and I was torn on whcih bike to bring - so I brought both. I rode the Mob for about 4 hours there and was dialing in everything. Then took a break and swapped for the Molly. I don't think I picked up the Mob for the rest of the trip only but a couple of times. I really rode the crap out of the Molly and felt better on it especially in the park/street sections.

This past summer I took the Mob to one of the big local DJ areas near me. I was hitting everything fine. The next day I took the Molly on the same stuff and it was far better for me. I felt more stable, more flickable, I was whipping a lot more and just boosting better overall. Even going up to Highland Mountain in NH I felt better ont he Molly on the DJ areas which are designed for 26" bikes.

So I think it is give or take. The Molly has a RS Recon fork and taller bars to simulate the cockpit feel of the Mob as best as I can. I like the 24" better for a wider range of riding that includes DJ/street/park. It is really a tough decision until you try both. Just my story....

Last edited:

DirtBag

Monkey
Feb 1, 2006
Yes long story alright. I didn't even add how I trained/forced myself to learn to ride on flats. After years of XC and BMX racing clipped in, flats took me forever to get......

In any case I really like the 24". But now and again I dig the Mob. I think I feel like I can ride the Mob with better control but I can do more with the Molly. The Mob I can just ride straight up and down. The Molly feels tighter and whippier if that makes any sense.