Quantcast

The much anticipated...

Stoked

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2004
LI, NY
sweet. also read the hazard lite rims are in. i'm stoked on the aitken tires too in 24".

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
http://bmx.transworld.net/2009/03/06/jim-cielencki-24-bike-check/

So… is big really better? What are the advantages?
I don’t know if it’s any better. When we made this there was never a thought that we were going to make riding better. Rather we were just trying to have fun with bikes. And by this I mean different bikes, I just remember thinking it would be funny to do a handrail on a cruiser. It was a total experiment that became really fun and funny at the same time. The bike acts like a big BMX because that is exactly what it is—just a larger version of what we ride today.

Does it feel weird when you get back on the 20”?
Yeah, it feels completely weird. Now I understand why mountain bikers can’t get on a BMX and do tricks. It’s like a total other world. The steering is way quicker for some reason, you are more over the bars, the wheels feel totally smaller and the bike feels way shorter and less stable. After riding the Model C, I added a quarter inch to my normal BMX’s top tube length and brought out the rear end to 14” just because I felt the bike would be more stable. It’s way easier to go from the 20” to the 24” than go back the other way. I try to not mix the two when I’m riding. I just pick one and use it for a little while then back to the other.

I think it's cool that Jim is experimenting with cruisers and sharing it for the rest of bmx'ers to see.

However, I can't help be slightly annoyed at the tone of the questions like it's some kind of new experiment. Some of us have had cruisers in our stable since the S&M Widowmaker and before. We've been switching back and forth between 20" and 24" for 15+ years (not to mention now 26"s too). I understand that for today's 20" riders it IS new...but the subtext is it wasn't real or wasn't "street" enough till SUNDAY did it.... hmm..

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
I especially respect that Jim is riding the hell out of the 24: testing geo, experimenting with tricks, taking it to a bunch of different spots and terrain... in other words, it's a genuine commitment and interest in the idea, not just slapping his brand name on something so it will sell.

Hup

Chimp
Apr 6, 2007
Portland, OR
The video is great. Looks like a fun bike.

I am hoping that the pricing for the bar/fork/frame is going to be around the same as their 20" stuff. So probably $400 for the frame, $120 for the fork and $65 for the bars.

Hup

Chimp
Apr 6, 2007
Portland, OR
Here's Jim C's comment on pricing:

"The MSRP will be around the same price as the current Second Waves maybe a little less. The bars will be the same as the current and forks will be a touch more."

Stoked

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2004
LI, NY
sounds about right since the model c doesn't have all the fine details of the 20" frames which = more $$.

Cru Jones

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2006
Hell Track
However, I can't help be slightly annoyed at the tone of the questions like it's some kind of new experiment. Some of us have had cruisers in our stable since the S&M Widowmaker and before. We've been switching back and forth between 20" and 24" for 15+ years (not to mention now 26"s too). I understand that for today's 20" riders it IS new...but the subtext is it wasn't real or wasn't "street" enough till SUNDAY did it.... hmm..
I agree with that. I think they ignored a whole section of riders who have been doing bmx type riding on bigger wheels for years. I think that's the main reason the geo is whack. I'd def like to try one... but, I can't imagine that a 13.75" bb feels even close to good when flying through some big trails.