Quantcast

The NEW '06 Chevrolet Camaro Z/28

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
It's a sports car. Most people don't drive their sports cars (well, maybe that's not quite a sports car) in the rain and weather.

Plus I live in SoCal so I don't care.

Aug 30, 2005
San Diego
Wow, I'd only seen the second one. I'm under the impression that that is the one going into production. IMO the first one is waaaay better. it has a look all it's own. the second one is good, but it looks way to conservative, way too much like the new mustangs and chargers. chevy should be smart for once and do something that sets them apart in a GOOD way. that first one is so beefy and clean looking. it just flows. but i'm sure they'll pick the uglier one for production like they always do.

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
After being a fellow 4th gen Camaro owner.......I'll chime in :)

I thought Chevy made a huge mistake taking away the Camaro. It allowed the Mustant to run wild in sales and now I see so many of them it makes me sick.

The funny thing was it wasn't like they didn't sell. The Z28/SS was a killer ride. 300+HP at the rear wheels was a excellent starting block. The LT1 wasn't the greatest but did a decent job and the LS1 was really a work of art as far as engines went. You could supercharge them pretty easy (put it over 400 horse's with that alone), nitrous, or turbo's on and have a streetable, runs 92 octane pump gas, and is easily a sub 12 second street car. It's funny because you can take a bone stock Camaro, add a supercharger to it, headers, performance exhaust, a cam/chip/intake, and one of the FAST intakes to it and you basicly have over 500 hp on tap. Plus the suspension to beef up was stupid easy (LCA's, Torque arm, Sway bars/shocks, panhard bar, subframe connectors) and it'd road race all day long. Brake systems were easy to upgrade (thanks to Baer brakes), and you could get a slew of body mods. It's really a great platform for someone who wants to make a drag car or road racing car for not a whole lot of $$$.

But the Trans Am/Camaro almost share the same everything short of badges and sheet metal. They are basicly the same car. I know that from mods I did to mine, all the parts were interchangeable.

As far as that pic goes, maybe take the front end off the first one and add it to the second one's front end (so a retro back/front look) and it might look a little cleaner.

I'd love to see them back, but give me a 98-02 SS and I'd be fine :)

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
Spunger said:
After being a fellow 4th gen Camaro owner.......I'll chime in :)

I thought Chevy made a huge mistake taking away the Camaro. It allowed the Mustant to run wild in sales and now I see so many of them it makes me sick.

The funny thing was it wasn't like they didn't sell.
Well being an Analyst in the Automotive industry, I will chime in :)

Actually they didnt sell, that is why the platform was killed. Mustang sales have always run amuck over GM's pony car offerings. Even at Camaro's peak, Mustang still out sold them by about 3 to 1 (I think that was the ratio). Even when you combined all the F-Body sales, they still didnt come close to Mustang's #s. GM has always faltered when trying to keep up with the Mustang in sales and profitability(I am not talking about performance). It will be interesting to see if they can make the line profitable. The key will be if they can offer an inexpensive V6 version that is profitable, and at the same time move enough high end versions that it keeps the car in the limelight.

It is a good looking car though.

peter6061

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Kenmore, WA
I like the first one better, and from searching for more info, it's looking like 2009 as opposed to 2006 before there is a production model.

Wish they were using this body style.

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
Ugly... and it looks like the stupid dodge wagon things. Why are all the 'muscle' cars that are coming out now using the same look? Can't anyone be original anymore?

Orange version was much better - at least it didn't look like all the others.

XtCamZ

Chimp
Nov 19, 2003
Fayetteville, Arkansas
The orange and green versions shown were drawn by a guy named Kris Horton. It was just something he came up with about 2 years ago. It is an awesome looking car, but it would be extremely hard to put in production. The proportions look good, but are too extreme for a production vehicle. BTW, those pictures were just computer renderings, a concept of that car was NEVER made... and GM had nothing to do with it.

As for GM's concept. There are 2 of them built, and man are they sweet. They will hit the showroom floor in 2008 as a 2009MY (model year). I drool everytime I see it and I'm so glad they went with sharp lines. Not to mention, check out this interior...

Chevy is also going to keep the production vehicle as close to the concept as possible, including the killer interior. In fact, this concept is, according to Chevy, one of the closest to production concepts they've ever built. That in itself is exciting.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I like the looks of it, but I haven't wanted to own anything Chevy-car wise after the '73 production year.

My wife talked me into buying her a Malibu back in '98. Not a bad car overall, but a far cry from the pre '73.

rooftest

Monkey
Jul 10, 2005
OC, CA
Even the second picture is likely a far cry from what the production version will look like. They've gotta "americanize" it first - make sure all the body panels have gaps big enough to stick a book through, put a nice crummy interior in, stick with a live axle so it handles like garbage, etc.

Chunky Munkey

Herpes!
May 10, 2006
is ALWAYS key I say...
rooftest said:
Even the second picture is likely a far cry from what the production version will look like. They've gotta "americanize" it first - make sure all the body panels have gaps big enough to stick a book through, put a nice crummy interior in, stick with a live axle so it handles like garbage, etc.
WAY TO GO DUMBY! You FORGOT the most important part! Putting a huge WAY over priced pricetag on it! :D

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
douglas said:
Where all the subie/import luving dudes saying all Chevy's are POS's??

We were just a little late. Sorry bout that.

Actually, I just didn't like the old f bodies, I thought they were hunks of junk. I'm still more of a fan of the v8 rumble over all.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
the old f-bodies were great cars if you held stock in windshield glass companies... i don't think i could have reached to the front of the dashboard from the instrument cluster :D

as for how well they handle, they seem to be holding their own in SCCA Touring2 racing, but if you look at the videos you can see the drivers barely have them in check.

Status
Not open for further replies.