Quantcast

The New Casa.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
The wifey and I got keys to our new pad last week. I took the week off from work and have been hustling. I have been perpetually sore the last week, but it's been better than being at work.

Garage demo:

New garage concrete to replaced the F'd up floor:

Covered patio demo:

Pool net for the kid:

Garage toys coming:

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
is your garage big enough?

i still need to learn how to use my grandfathers old lathe....

Last edited:

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
nice Ranch Style House. Perfect size no stairs for junior ( or you) to fall down. Block off access to the diving board too or the kiddo will end up in the net and water.

One other thing to think about is the back steps out of that sliding door. We had the same set up at my old house. I tore the steps out and built a window wide, window high deck, that came out 3 feet with 3 board wide steps to the ground. much safer and looked way better

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
The tools, crazy as they may look, aren't that loud. I was actually looking at doing a deck. The diving board is getting removed.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
Why stop there…

not fat. elderly. I have a father that is 92. A fall at 85 almost killed him. Hip fractures can turn a mobile parents life into a nursing home wheelchair bound hell for the last few years. Better to think about family, and guests and their health and safety than have a "What can't you walk up a simple stair" mentality. Its the same reason kazlx netted off the pool, no dead children. Plus those extra touches help with resale and lower home owners insurance rates.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
There is a systemic problem with humans if no stairs lowers the insurance on homes. Never mind the rotating equipment in the garage.

However, I am intrigued to see this garage setup. Looks very cool, even if it might result in dead children or elderly folk that might wander in there because there are no steps to keep them out.

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
There is a systemic problem with humans if no stairs lowers the insurance on homes. Never mind the rotating equipment in the garage.

However, I am intrigued to see this garage setup. Looks very cool, even if it might result in dead children or elderly folk that might wander in there because there are no steps to keep them out.
AGREE!

The garage should look good, but man, we're worried about 2 steps? Are you sure you should be on a mountain biking site eric str6? Seems mountain biking could get dangerous for you.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
Haha yea, the steps are fine. I have thought about doing a deck, not for safety because the steps are fine, but because the house has a raised foundation, it would connect the inside and outside of the house a little better. Buuut, we might do an addition at some point, so I would hate to build a nice deck to tear it out to add on to the back of the house in a few years. Decisions, decisions. There is plenty to keep me busy at the moment. I need to finish the drywall in the garage so I can work on storage and getting things organized. Everything is cluster F'ed in the center of the garage right now so I have access to all the walls to finish drywall and electrical.

Having a new 200A panel put in the house and pulling a 100A sub to the garage so I can run all the fun stuff. Will also have a 15hp phase converter to generate 3 phase electrical since most of my equipment is 3 phase.

Last edited:

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
This is taking forever. On the plus side, it's going.

Wall removed, A/V surround wiring done, everything drywalled and painted. Furniture delivered. Wife happy.