Quantcast

the new firefox is the suck

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
constantly freezing, never shutting down until i close it in the task manager, eating up gobs of memory.

ive been reverting to IE...ugh.
i wish i could use Chrome on this computer

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
IE8 and FF3.5 use about the same memory with the same content in my environment (IE8 was 5% higher actually but I have a ton of memory so it does not matter).

You should use adblock and noscript to save net, cpu, and memory use - its safer too. noscript is among the best for secure browsing.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
There's your problem.
Its a Latitude/corporate and is good quality compared to the consumer crap and has free north american support for 3 years including on-site - among the best support contracts - don't have to mail it in or go to a chain store.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
IE8 and FF3.5 use about the same memory with the same content in my environment (IE8 was 5% higher actually but I have a ton of memory so it does not matter).

You should use adblock and noscript to save net, cpu, and memory use - its safer too. noscript is among the best for secure browsing.
i was using noscript on the older version of FF, but they finally released a workable version for the 3.5 that i just downloaded not too long ago.

8 tabs open in each FF and IE
memory usage:
FF-240k
IE 160k

Its a Latitude/corporate and is good quality compared to the consumer crap and has free north american support for 3 years including on-site - among the best support contracts - don't have to mail it in or go to a chain store.
their CS has been great when i have issues. thats never been a problem with any of our Dell's. as long as our IT actually remembers, they get to our office pretty fast
its all the operating problems that i have with it, especially compared to my Toshiba or HP laptop.

Last edited:

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
their CS has been great when i have issues. thats never been a problem with any of our Dell's. as long as our IT actually remembers, they get to our office pretty fast
its all the operating problems that i have with it, especially compared to my Toshiba or HP laptop.
Its your system admin fault for making poor system images for deployment then. I don't use stock configurations for any brand. Could be a number of things from an out of date bios, software, driver, etc.

Your browser use would be in MB, not K otherwise the browsers on your system are working awesome.

Mine with the same tabs in Win7 RC1 are just under 200MB FF3.5 and just over 210MB with IE8

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Its your system admin fault for making poor system images for deployment then. I don't use stock configurations for any brand. Could be a number of things from an out of date bios, software, driver, etc.

Your browser use would be in MB, not K otherwise the browsers on your system are working awesome.

Mine with the same tabs in Win7 RC1 are just under 200MB FF3.5 and just over 210MB with IE8
i never had these types of issues before with the older FF version on the same system

and yes, 240k would be awesome...i meant 240,148K...hence 240mb

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Perhaps the upgrade process from FF3 to 3.5 wasn't clean and some old configuration settings are causing issues. I'd try to reset your FF environment - flush cache/private data, remove plugins, etc. If you can and are comfortable doing it, you could uninstall FF and then delete the remaining files in program files and your FF user profile in windows then reinstall FF and download the latest version of your plugins?

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
that sounds like a good idea that ive been meaning to try. im in the process of backing everything up so i can just do a full system reformat which will hopefully resolve all the other issues im having with this POS.