Quantcast

The new Foes RS7

BmxConvert

Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
Longview, Washington
So a customer of mine got his new RS7 a couple weeks ago and before he picked it up I grabbed some quick shots of the frame.
The RS7's haven't shipped yet, but they'll be out within a few weeks, I believe they were waiting to be painted.

The frame has since been painted a flashy orange to match the rest of the Foes in their stable. If anyone was at sea otter this year and saw the orange 2008 Foes 4x and 2008 Fly, it's the same orange(owned by the same guy).

I'll see if I can get pics of it built up. And some ride reviews.

Last edited:

RMboy

Monkey
Dec 1, 2006
England the Great...
Yeah i had a DHS mono for a few weeks just to sell, did not ride it. But the quality of the paint and the stickers was awful!

This looks nice, but i hope he got the paint done outside foes!:-)

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
Why does that Raw finish look so ugly?
does it just need to be wiped down or something?

seismic

Turbo Monkey
Dec 22, 2003
South East Asia
The alien-like TT looks like it is only made to make the frame look more interesting. And then it would be nice if Foes used shocks from one of the companies which actually can make a desent shock....

Trekrules

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2007
The alien-like TT looks like it is only made to make the frame look more interesting. And then it would be nice if Foes used shocks from one of the companies which actually can make a desent shock....
they already have a dhx5.0 option for the RS7

BmxConvert

Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
Longview, Washington
RS7= Race Specific 7" travel bike. The frame is a medium and the top tube is atleast 1.5" lower than the '08 Fly and looks fast as heck built up with with a Boxxer or WB Groove Race 180. We'll see how it rides.

For those that are too thrilled about the Foes bikes I must say that each of them rides rather similar but different. If you buy a Foes frame have the shock revalved for your weight and riding style. It's quick and simple just by sending it to Foes. The Fox DHX 5.0 feel horrible on the FXR as opposed to the air curnutt.

I've always had good experience with Foes customer service has been awesome.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
wtf, i ordered mine 4 months ago and havent gotten it yet....and in raw too, but judging by that picture i should get it cleared for sure.
that oxidation looks horrible

do you know if he can fit a tire bigger than 2.3"?

Last edited:

RJM

Monkey
May 18, 2005
on the rocks
i'll echo the raw pics look over oxidized for a new bike. they prolly skipped a step knowing paint was coming.

Never had any issues with my previous foes except for a clunk in either the shock hardware or the shock itself? dunno.

overall foes bikes are super nice imo...us made, brent is super cool. heck of a lot worse companies to buy from imo.

foes is top 5 in my book.....no need to bash em'

BmxConvert

Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
Longview, Washington
wtf, i ordered mine 4 months ago and havent gotten it yet....and in raw too, but judging by that picture i should get it cleared for sure.
that oxidation looks horrible

do you know if he can fit a tire bigger than 2.3"?
That is frame #3. He rides for Foes and got them to ship his out as soon as it was out of heat treat. I believe he placed his order at Sea Otter last year before the frame was finalized.

The frame will fit a 2.3 without issues. The tire on that frame is actually a 2.5 and it has clearance but it's a big 2.5. The clearance issue is mostly due to the floating brake arm.

-Kevin

Last edited:

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
The frame will fit a 2.3 without issues. The tire on that frame is actually a 2.5 and it has clearance but it's a big 2.5. The clearance issue is mostly due to the floating brake arm.

-Kevin
yeah i wanted to know if it could fit a 2.5" cause all the lit on it says 2.3" tire is the max size.
my buddy at Foes said the large's were suppose to go into production this month, so im jonesing to get mine.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Three shops in my area dropped Foes because their customer service was so bad. I hope its changed.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Three shops in my area dropped Foes because their customer service was so bad. I hope its changed.
i have never had any issues with any of their CS in the 8 years ive had them. most shops around me dont sell 'em because they think most people wouldnt know what they were and they honestly dont have a big presence in the east.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I just hope the shocks work now and do not use SPV anymore. The performance was absolutely horrible compared to mainstream shocks like the DHX and such, and well below aftermarkets like the avalanche and others. It would be one thing for them to push their proprietary shocks if they actually offered a suspension performance benefit, but not when they rode like jackhammers.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
I just hope the shocks work now and do not use SPV anymore. The performance was absolutely horrible compared to mainstream shocks like the DHX and such, and well below aftermarkets like the avalanche and others. It would be one thing for them to push their proprietary shocks if they actually offered a suspension performance benefit, but not when they rode like jackhammers.
the shocks have not changed, nor will they change. Foes is sticking with their in-house Curnutt shocks, and i think its a good idea personally. most of their bikes do have a option to use a Fox shock, but the dont give the bike a good riding characteristic imo.

i've only had great results thru thier customer/warranty service on heavily abused frames, but it was probably because i was spending 200 clams a pop to have my blown out shocks rebuilt every 4 months...

the frames are killer, but the proprietary shocks have to go...

BmxConvert

Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
Longview, Washington
no complaints on my shock.
cant wait to try the air version now.
Of the 10 Foes frames in our town(we're small 30,000 population) all of them run the curnutts, except one which uses a DHX 5(horrible feel). There are 2
4x, a Fly, an FXR, and the RS7 has both Coil and Air Curnutts and I must say the air shocks feel darn nice. I think you'll be quite thrilled with the Air version.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Of the 10 Foes frames in our town(we're small 30,000 population) all of them run the curnutts, except one which uses a DHX 5(horrible feel). There are 2
4x, a Fly, an FXR, and the RS7 has both Coil and Air Curnutts and I must say the air shocks feel darn nice. I think you'll be quite thrilled with the Air version.
i cant wait to find out. it was a toss of to get the 5" stroke air shock for my DHS, or to get a new frame. they want $1000 retail for the damn 5" stroke shock...my cost was a ton less, but still expensive none the less.

P.T.W

Monkey
May 6, 2007
christchurch nz
I just hope the shocks work now and do not use SPV anymore. The performance was absolutely horrible compared to mainstream shocks like the DHX and such, and well below aftermarkets like the avalanche and others such as Cane Creek or Boss. It would be one thing for them to push their proprietary shocks if they actually offered a suspension performance benefit, but not when they rode like jackhammers.
There you go JM i fixed it for ya:thumb: Id hate for some one to come on here an acuse you of being biased....its happend in other threads,an we all know what crap fight they turned into:biggrin:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
There you go JM i fixed it for ya:thumb: Id hate for some one to come on here an acuse you of being biased....its happend in other threads,an we all know what crap fight they turned into:biggrin:
No problem, aren't there even a couple more on the fringe?

Anyhow, SPV is a terrible way for a shock to work IMO, it ignores compression inputs below whatever the threshold is, and then provides "position" sensitive damping. I would only want position sensitive damping towards the end of the travel, the curnutt shocks were wildely overdamped in rebound and compression, and my fxr felt like a jackhammer going over rough rockgardens. Bikes shouldn't have to ride like that to have other decent traits and characteristics.

The one thing that could have made foes bikes rise above most others was decent shock technology. They already got the super-stiff chassis and such.

One day in the future, if they drop the whole spv / cv/t idea, I may consider foes again.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
If you know what you're doing, I'm sure you could take the cv/t valve out of Curnutt and give it a compression shim stack. It can be done to a 5th element and a swinger, so why not the curnutt? Are the internals proprietary? or does it require some special tool to open?