Quantcast

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I don't think there's a ton I can add that hasn't already been said, but to take what H8R said in a slightly different direction, to my mind, teaching requires, in addition to a complete and thorough understanding of the field, an unbelievable amount of patience. I know that's not something I possess, and, though I've never met you, from the impression I've gotten on here, you're nowhere close. That's not to say it's not something that'll come as you get a bit older, but from a bunch of your posts describing fights and interactions with the population at large, it seems like you've got an awfully short fuse. How do you picture teaching going? I can't even imagine trying to balance the needs of everyone in a high school classroom, from the disadvantaged kid in back who never had anyone push him to give a fvck about school, to the more privileged/ gifted/ whatever kids who'll inevitably be bored by the pace of the class. You say you understand the kids who act up because that was you at one point, but do you really have the patience and understanding of what they need to help them turn things around? It doesn't sound like you've done that too well yourself yet, so how can you expect to be on the other end of it? You say you like kids, and that's fvcking great, but guess what? I like cars, but that doesn't make me a qualified auto mechanic. I'm not saying you can't or shouldn't teach at some point down the road, but it sure as hell is worth thinking a little harder about what it will entail, and how your current abilities and shortcomings will affect your ability to do it effectively.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Then when (if) you grow up, please leave teaching to others. California schools have enough problems. Thanks.
:stupid:
My father could not act to save his life, yet he could teach others to act and taught for 45 years. He was living proof you needed more than talent (or no talent at all) because he understood and could teach that.

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
Ignore Mooshoo. At his comprehension and attention rate, he will soon tire of the Monkey and go elsewhere. We can hope anyway.

So glad my family and I will be leaving Cali before my littel gromms are in HS. I cant even picture the wreck that would be having him as a HS teacher...

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
I don't think there's a ton I can add that hasn't already been said, but to take what H8R said in a slightly different direction, to my mind, teaching requires, in addition to a complete and thorough understanding of the field, an unbelievable amount of patience. I know that's not something I possess, and, though I've never met you, from the impression I've gotten on here, you're nowhere close. That's not to say it's not something that'll come as you get a bit older, but from a bunch of your posts describing fights and interactions with the population at large, it seems like you've got an awfully short fuse. How do you picture teaching going? I can't even imagine trying to balance the needs of everyone in a high school classroom, from the disadvantaged kid in back who never had anyone push him to give a fvck about school, to the more privileged/ gifted/ whatever kids who'll inevitably be bored by the pace of the class. You say you understand the kids who act up because that was you at one point, but do you really have the patience and understanding of what they need to help them turn things around? It doesn't sound like you've done that too well yourself yet, so how can you expect to be on the other end of it? You say you like kids, and that's fvcking great, but guess what? I like cars, but that doesn't make me a qualified auto mechanic. I'm not saying you can't or shouldn't teach at some point down the road, but it sure as hell is worth thinking a little harder about what it will entail, and how your current abilities and shortcomings will affect your ability to do it effectively.
I had a cabin of 8 kids for 2 weeks 24/7 one had autism and wet the bed, another had aspergers his parents also didn't mention that on his medical forms. This was also with the cabin who had the 12 year old that wore a diaper to bed and was allergic to everything he wanted to eat. These were rich jewish kids I couldn't yell at. For being 20, that's pretty damn good dude, I don't know how many 20 year olds you know......

nmjb

Monkey
Apr 26, 2005
Idyllwild, CA
Let me elaborate....Just sayin.
Great advice.

If I were montashu, I would try to sit in on some public high school classes in the area. Volunteer as a teacher's aide or do whatever it takes. Assess the real reasons you want to be a teacher - if they are selfish or if you are doing it for lack of anything else to do, you're going to be miserable as a teacher.

As someone who recently made a career transition into teaching math, I would say that the best teachers I've seen have altruistic goals, mastery of their subject, and are very patient - all in addition to being able to manage a classroom.

While you may be teaching a specific subject in your high school class, you should also be teaching your students to think critically and analytically in a way that they can apply to any subject/life.

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
Great advice.

If I were montashu, I would try to sit in on some public high school classes in the area. Volunteer as a teacher's aide or do whatever it takes. Assess the real reasons you want to be a teacher - if they are selfish or if you are doing it for lack of anything else to do, you're going to be miserable as a teacher.

As someone who recently made a career transition into teaching math, I would say that the best teachers I've seen have altruistic goals, mastery of their subject, and are very patient - all in addition to being able to manage a classroom.

While you may be teaching a specific subject in your high school class, you should also be teaching your students to think critically and analytically in a way that they can apply to any subject/life.
I have a year and a half's worth of mechanical engineering units. If I wanted to make money I would be doing that.

while I haven't helped out in any classes, I am only 3 years out of high school, as well I did spend 10 weeks after I graduated with kids 24/7.

I understand what you are saying there. Especially if I'm going to try teach seniors government. I'm going to have to be teaching them how to make and informed vote, that's a huge responsibility, not just that but I will have the challenge of convincing them to vote in the first place. I can't say for sure whether I'm going to be able to teach students to think critically cause I have not tried. As a Jew who thinks Palestine should be a totally free state I can think for myself and read facts for what they are....

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
I had a cabin of 8 kids for 2 weeks 24/7 one had autism and wet the bed, another had aspergers his parents also didn't mention that on his medical forms. This was also with the cabin who had the 12 year old that wore a diaper to bed and was allergic to everything he wanted to eat. These were rich jewish kids I couldn't yell at. For being 20, that's pretty damn good dude, I don't know how many 20 year olds you know......
Just because none of these kids died on your watch means you should teach.

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
Saw them last night actually. Met Tunis with the guitarist from veil of maya. We burned with the dude from veil last time we saw them and Tusin wanted to get in on it this time. Very soft spoken, super nice guy. He knows he shreds though.