Quantcast

The new old school wHip!

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I wanted one of these when they came out, but I am too cheap. While researching a DH rig for this season, I came across this '03 GT DHi frame and '02 Monster T. Combine my favorite frame with my favorite fork (for $350 too) and I am a happy bastard!

Craig's List somewhere in California:

New technology where it counts:
SRAM x.0 shifter
SRAM x.9 derailleur
Hayes Stroker Ryde v8 discs
WTB SpeedDisc DH wheels

The swing arm was replaced last year and the whole thing was serviced before I bought it. The fork was serviced at the same time and feels as good as new. I can't wait for this season!

I love global CL searches!

SDH Racing

Monkey
Apr 5, 2006
NE
:cool:
Nice deal, I had a few DHi's myself and loved them. One suggestion... move the MRP boomerang down some, turn the bottom limit screw on the rear derail to lock out the top cog and take a link out of the chain to keep a tight drive line over those bumpy sections.

Enjoy the ride.
Team SDH

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Thanks for the tips. The best thing is the build total was just under $1100. The frame/fork/cranks/guide are used, everything else is new. The wheels/tires/brakes were never mounted take-offs I got off ebay for $325.

I had a hell of a time finding a 12mmx150mm rear wheel on the cheap until I found this set.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
enjoy it for the year or two you'll get out of it....

seriously, even after the "fix" you should be extrememly mindful of the shockmount on the swingarm. From what I understand, they are amazing bikes...until they crack at the shockmount...and they all do.

Awesome find though, I would have picked that up for $350.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
enjoy it for the year or two you'll get out of it....

seriously, even after the "fix" you should be extrememly mindful of the shockmount on the swingarm. From what I understand, they are amazing bikes...until they crack at the shockmount...and they all do.

Awesome find though, I would have picked that up for $350.
Having never owned a bike for more than 2 years, I would be surprised if it lasts that long.

I'm not much for drops and jumps these days. I built this bike to race almost exclusively, so it should hold up. I have 8 races scheduled with as many as 2 more in California if things go well.

I haven't been very hard on bikes the last few years. But I will certainly keep an eye on it.