Quantcast

The new wave of EndurBro's?

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
I was looking at the 2017 Spartan and can't help but notice Devinci's love for sram/RS as NONE of their bikes come with Fox, Shimano, Raceface...

The Spartan is set up 1x something and I noticed that their Marshall had a square seat tube by the bb, a press fit bb and ISCG tabs. That leaves nowhere for a FD. Devinci replied to my email saying that you can't mount one. But doesn't Shimano still do front derailleurs yet?

Who makes a bike like the Spartan/Nomad that can accommodate a FD or is devinci the only one to completely eliminate it?

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
I've never had carbon before so I'm interested in trying it. But that won't be the determining factor.

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
The Spartan will accept a high direct mount FD. The Nomad won't take a FD, but at 'Woo mentioned there are lots of other bike that will.

Attachments

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
Interesting... This is the email I received

"Many thanks for your interest in Devinci Cycles and the Spartan,

No, a front derailleur can’t be mounted.

As for the coil, there should be no problem. We haven’t test it, but some people ride theirs with a rockshox vivid and it fits perfectly.

Unfortunately, these are the only two colors available for 2017.

Hope this helps,"

Have a good day!

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC

As for the coil, there should be no problem. We haven’t test it, but some people ride theirs with a rockshox vivid and it fits perfectly.

Hope this helps,"

Have a good day!

That's certainly a strange reply. The Spartan will be the next bike in their line to get an update/overhaul and I expect it may do away with a FD option. Wonder if that's where the confusion was or if you just got bad info?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
what do front der's have to do with endurbros?

and how is it news that the bike industry is moving away from front ders? this has been happening for years.

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!

Hope this helps,"

Have a good day!

This image from their website begs to differ:

spartan.jpg

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
I really wanted to like that bike but the frame weighs a tonne even in carbon guise. I forget exactly how much now but it made me cross it off the list (was picking a bike for a friend). Just a heads up for anyone looking into it in case you make the assumption that carbon = light.

Not to say it's bad - maybe designed for heavier use etc. Just caught me by surprise.

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
You're right that Devinci doesn't make the lightest bikes out there. But that's why I personally like them. They're not cutting corners and trying to make it pass the showroom weight test. We joke about the "looks flexy" stuff, but I can't ride a Giant cause I flex the frame too much for my liking and they just don't fit me right. I can lose weight for sure, so a bike that's 4lbs heavier won't turn me away. I've broken plenty of chainstays on my favorite bike cough, cough, trek, cough... 4 frames later and their light weight, hydroformed, 7 series alpha aluminum, nuclear dynamic, proton tested, bike with 4 different BB standards (on the same frame!) won't hold up to me. I just want reliability.
Devinci still list their weights online for some reason. I know some years ago that Special Ed and Trek stopped listing it cause they didn't want people to judge the bike online and choose one from that specific factor.
I do get what you're saying though.

Last edited:

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Well hey, if you've sussed it out and the numbers work for you then sweet.

I personally like the kinematics on that frame much more than many others so if the weight isn't a dealbreaker and there's a size that fits, then it's probably a really good choice.

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
The Spartan is:
WEIGHT* 3.36 KG / 7.41 LBS
*For a size medium complete frameset, weight approximate and subject to change.

According to Damien Oton, there will be a new frame coming soon, check his interview on PB for details...

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Regarding the weight of the Devinci, it must be noted that they also have a lifetime warranty. For reliability purposes, they are probably slightly more overbuilt than your average ultralight dentist-rated frames.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Regarding the weight of the Devinci, it must be noted that they also have a lifetime warranty. For reliability purposes, they are probably slightly more overbuilt than your average ultralight dentist-rated frames.
Giant also have a lifetime warranty and I've seen way less broken than Devincis here. Santa Cruz frames are also very light and very durable (even though I am not a huge fan of the kinematics). In fact the "lifetime warranty" carbon Wilsons have been breaking notoriously regularly lately, so to assume great warranty = great durability is hardly correct. 3.36kg for a carbon enduro frame is quite heavy if we are being objective. A carbon Reign in medium is 2.48kg IIRC.

If we want to argue stiffness, there are alloy frames that cost a lot less, are very stiff, and come in at around the same 3.2-3.4kg weight. Good engineering is making something strong and light, and making something heavier doesn't necessarily make it stronger either.

Like I said the Devinci frames (especially the Spartan) have very good kinematics, I do think it is a great bike based on that, and by the sounds it would suit the OP's requirements - but I think it's important to be realistic.