Quantcast

the next generation? enclosed drivetrain, nitrogen dampening and compression?

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
While were on the off-topic of crazy ideas, maybe one could add an air valve on the top tube,seat tube and down tube and fill it all with helium, then shave your balls, then take a crap. How well would that work
Look at the lengths people here are trying to lose weight on their DH bikes. DH racers here are starting to act like little girls when they can save 50grams by changing their entire crankset (for example) and spend $250 just to do it.

What you said may sound silly but it might be the next step.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Look at the lengths people here are trying to lose weight on their DH bikes. DH racers here are starting to act like little girls when they can save 50grams by changing their entire crankset (for example) and spend $250 just to do it.

What you said may sound silly but it might be the next step.
Are you refering to me! :D
If so dont leave out my $260 pedals. :D :D

P.T.W

Monkey
May 6, 2007
christchurch nz
slacktastic!!!
i dont know if the single sided swingarm is a good idea
also is it just me or does the "supershock" look a lil bent in this shot?
love the bike as a whole tho

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
i dont know if the single sided swingarm is a good idea
on paper it would work well tho, that bike has a narrower hub then usual so the load isn't that far off center. then again with normal hubs the load isn't that far off center anyways. and its got a big closed section swingarm which will be able to take the torsion well.

thats all i have to add.

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler
on paper it would work well tho, that bike has a narrower hub then usual so the load isn't that far off center. then again with normal hubs the load isn't that far off center anyways. and its got a big closed section swingarm which will be able to take the torsion well.

thats all i have to add.

Hub width wouldn't really make a difference, the torque the rear wheel could provide over the axle would be most significantly using the radius of the wheel which is constant anyway.

In torsion, the moment of inertia you use is the lowest MoI... the swingarm is very high but not that thick. I think these guys are just trying to innovate the hell out of the bicycle for the sake of it to be honest. Maybe it'll work but I remain skeptical.

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
time will tell i guess. didn't the old bike have the main pivot around the bb? so now it is a high pivot single pivot. edit: wait, it still might be around the bb.

also realized how great this bike will be at the races, no tools tire change. awesome mud clearance. i hope i get to see this bike at the races soon.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
have any of you ever pedalled a concentric pivot bike? Easily the worst pedalling bike I have ever owned, and that was with 5" of travel. I can only imagine how aweful an 8" or so travel bike will be. Now, I didn't have das wundershocken, but still, pedalling is so important on a bike that it really makes me wonder what Dirt was thinking when they gave the bike great reviews. I'm sure it cornered well, and probably jumped fantastic, but my bike stiffened significantly under braking without a floater, pedalled aweful, and really didn't do a good job of sucking up bumps, great shock or not. (I had a fox TC).

As for the shock, maybe it uses liquid nitro, which would have no thermal effect? Or perhaps it's just an air/air shock with nitro instead of air. That would make way more sense, but it's nothing new. Cane creek used to make the AD-5 which was air sprung and air damped. I think they worked well but were never "great". The nitro in most shocks (avy) is simply there as a compensator for thermal expansion, as far as I know.

I bet that shaft does very little, the "shock" probably resides inside the body, and the shaft just presses against the bottom, sort of like a sunn style "extender" against a fox alps4R.

While i do love the innovation, they need to shift the pivot to the upper location, put the other side of the swingarm back on (a solution to a problem that doesn't exist? Kind of like a lefty?) and let it rip. Frame construction is beautiful and the shock does sound interesting...if it does work as it should.

EB-Mitchell

Chimp
Jul 15, 2007
Vancouver
^^ If it was not a concentric pivot it would be way harder to make it a concealed drive train. Also the guy in the Dirt review said he expected it to pedal like garbage but he was surprised to find that it pedal very well.

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
I'm sure I read that the one thing against the bike is that it DOESN'T pedal very well - due in part to the suspension design I expect, but also a gearhub like the nexus can't approach the efficiency of a derailleur setup.

Another sweet innovation that you guys haven't mentioned is it's foldability: take the front wheel out, undo one bolt, and the swingarm swings all the way around to nestle the back wheel between the fork legs, making for a very compact and easily packed bike in a small car.

One of the recent dirts had an "undisclosed" DH racer testing the Millyard. The article hinted (to me anyway) that it was Vouilloz.

big-ted

Danced with A, attacked by C, fired by D.
Sep 27, 2005
Vancouver, BC
As for the shock, maybe it uses liquid nitro, which would have no thermal effect?
That's a big no. Liquid Nitrogen boils at 77K. Unless you were prepared to refill it daily you would rapidly find yourself with no fluid in there.