the next level...

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet

RimJobbed

Monkey
Apr 11, 2006
How did he pedal forward when rolling backward??? Will the freecoaster let you do that? Or, was he chainless?

And that "music" can fyck off and die.
Ya, I definately pulled the double take. Pedal forward, manual backwards?! WTF! Talk about the next level, that fool took advantage of a defect.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Such a good vid. I got sick of Mike Taylor though. He's way better than me, but I just don't like his style.

RimJobbed

Monkey
Apr 11, 2006
I must ask the question of why don't we see this level or even close to this level of tech on 26 inches? Has it just not been a facet of street/park/dj for long enough? Any excuse like it's not as easy, is just bull**** cuz there's nothing easy about the videos in this thread. Fvck, I'm gonna go ride.

Hey my 200th post!

RimJobbed

Monkey
Apr 11, 2006
I understand the talent pool factor, it goes hand in hand with 20's being the norm for so much longer. Maneuverability seems like something that could be overcome with more practice.

Leethal

Turbo Monkey
Oct 27, 2001
Avondale (Phoenix)
I must ask the question of why don't we see this level or even close to this level of tech on 26 inches? Has it just not been a facet of street/park/dj for long enough? Any excuse like it's not as easy, is just bull**** cuz there's nothing easy about the videos in this thread. Fvck, I'm gonna go ride.

Hey my 200th post!
What answer are you looking for 26" riders aren't skilled? Unless your at that level don't worry about it.

ebrider510

Monkey
Dec 7, 2006
Bay Area, CA

Hey my 200th post!
26" bikes are not even close to as manuverable as a 20, that's a fact. also, some of the 20" riders in this thread are some of the best bike riders around...

RimJobbed

Monkey
Apr 11, 2006
What answer are you looking for 26" riders aren't skilled? Unless your at that level don't worry about it.
You've missed my point entirely, and it's really not worth re-iterating to you. I'm sure that you can't ride 26 the way that any of the folks in any of the videos riding 20 can, or even a 20in. for that matter. If you could we would see you in a video. With that said, I know 20's are more maneuverable, but maneuverability is an acquired skill, not something that just happens when you get on and ride around. So, someone with as much talent and time spent on a 26 in. bike should be able to eventually maneuver that bike as skillfully as anyone that put that much effort into riding a 20. I ride both, and no, I'm not nearly as good as "the next level". But I do know what the difference is, and for me that's it. Practice makes perfect. So, where are the crazy 26 videos that make your mouth drop? Not just a jump jam, or some smooth 360's or even turndown backflips, etc. Compared to the videos that have been posted lately, those tricks are cake walk.

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
I would say just look at WHAT we normally see 26" riders are riding. Not the bikes, but the terrain. 26" street riding is NEW. We've always had trials and we've always had big mountain, but technically, aggressive street riding and even two6 DJ, for that matter, are still less than a decade old!
And then there's the argument that we've got former 20" riders who've crossed over to 26", but name them: NONE of them did what we see in the vids posted when they did ride 20". Bearcloth did the same crap he does on a 26", 3s and Twhips. I still don't know how he is still winning comps today, 3s and Twhips are pretty much the tech standard, and I'm seeing them done MUCH better by "lesser" riders.
Put someone like Hamilton or Cramer on a 26" and I bet you'd see stuff within a month.
Our only hope SO FAR is riders like Chase, J-lo, Hauck, etc...and they are still more traditional mtn bike riders. Hopefully someone else gets my point...
I'd say just relax and watch as street mtb grows... Hell, BMX has roots 4 decades deeper than the 26" world and a gazzillion more follwers.
What I get a kick out of are the funny "standards"... Mtb riders tend to all wear helmets and Mtb parts are twice as expensive and half as strong. I think all that, too, comes with the simple masses playing the game. Times will change.