The Official 2006 NFL Draft thread

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
April 28, 2006 7:53 PM ET
Texans: Williams signs, will be the top pick

The News
The Texans have agreed to a contract with defensive end Mario Williams and will make him the top pick in Saturday's draft, according to the NFL Network. The Texans are allowed to negotiate with players because they hold the top pick. The deal is worth $54 million over six years, according to ESPN.

Our View
There had been some rumors over the last 24 hours that the Texans were involved in negotiations with Williams, but it is hard to believe they're going to pass up Reggie Bush. The biggest question right now is what the Saints will do with the second pick. Will they take Bush despite having Deuce McAllister, who is recovering from reconstructive surgery on his right knee, or trade the selection? They may receive more inquires about the pick than Houston did because the price of the second pick is lower than the top one. The Texans may still end up with a new running back to challenge Domanick Davis for playing time, as there are now rumors that they may trade for another pick in the opening round.

http://www.fanball.com/fb/newsbreakers.cfm
WOW! I knew Houston wasn't going to draft anyone, including Bush, without a deal in place, cuz that leads to serious frustration and if he holds out, well, that'd really suck.

In a bizarre world, Bush falls to #5 or 6, GB or San Fran.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
NO POSSIBLE WAY he falls past #4. I sincerely believe he will go @ #2 to the raiders or 49ers who will trade up to get him.

The Bears will take ANOTHER stud LB, and be even more dominant. No point in even playing this season. Just mail the rings to chicago.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
BurlyShirley said:
NO POSSIBLE WAY he falls past #4. I sincerely believe he will go @ #2 to the raiders or 49ers who will trade up to get him.
I can see NO demanding too much, no one biting, and them taking D'Brick or Hawk. And doesn't TN and NY really need a QB? I can see TN taking Young and NY taking Cutler. GB taking Bush.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
LordOpie said:
I can see NO demanding too much, no one biting, and them taking D'Brick or Hawk. And doesn't TN and NY really need a QB? I can see TN taking Young and NY taking Cutler. GB taking Bush.
If Bush fell that far, GB would take him, but its impossible. No way he falls that far. Im positive the jets would take him if he were around.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Micro-Sanjay said:
Ryan Leaf is putting himself back in the draft pool and looking good as a third rounder.
I guess delivering pizza wasn't paying well enough.

I know, he was a coach somewhere, but I hope the experience has matured him and sharpened his focus.

dogwonder

Nitro
May 3, 2005
Walking the Earth
LordOpie said:
Jets had talked about trying to trade up to get Bush at #2 but NO is asking a pretty hefty price tag. It'll be interesting to see how this plays out. No way he gets by 4. If NO passes, I see the Jets and Titans swapping picks (with TEN picking up some other picks) and Bush will be gone by 3.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
BurlyShirley said:
Titans Grab:

Vince Young

Lendale White

WOW!
i kept pretty quiet about all the draft stuff, because nobody is an expert on this kinda thing, especially the experts. But i held my tongue on Vince Young. i've seen USC play and Lienart is going to be an average qb at best. He doesn't have any mobility or a cannon for an arm. Vince Young does, and from witnessing the championship game he's got ice water in his veins. i betcha this guy is a lock pro-bowler, and a potential hall of famer.
So i wasn't too suprised to see things pan out as they did.
Also...
Watching Reggie Bush play will be a treat in coming years too. You can tell if he stays healthy, that he will be one of those guys you'd buy a ticket just to go watch him in action, like a Barry Sanders.

Seahawks draft standup athletes, making character paramount, which isn't a bad idea when filling gaps in a championship team.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
I dont think Vince Young is that good. He certainly CAN run,but he doesnt have that great of an arm, and struggles with accuracy. Jay Cutler EASILY has the best arm of the three, and is mobile, though not to the level of Vince Young. Cutler went to a good team though. Not to a bottom feeder like TN or Arizona. He'll be the most successful of the bunch.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
BurlyShirley said:
He'll be the most successful of the bunch.
Maybe so, but have you ever even seen him play in a game? That's why draft talk is so funny, you just never hear about these guys til draft time. Except for the few obvious stars, and even then there are intangibles that come into play where they don't pan out as pros....

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
Skookum said:
Maybe so, but have you ever even seen him play in a game? That's why draft talk is so funny, you just never hear about these guys til draft time. Except for the few obvious stars, and even then there are intangibles that come into play where they don't pan out as pros....
Yeah, I dont really talk about people unless I see them play alot. Cutler went to Vandy (a few blocks from my house), so I saw most of his games this year. He's the next Favre. Super tough, throws some INTs, but he's a warrior. I think Young can work out after a couple years of learning, I just dont see dominance in his future. You cant rely on raw athleticism in the NFL (see Akili Smith, Michael Vick) you have to seriously work hard. Peyton Manning is the perfect example. Not quite a physical speciment, but a student of the game who knows exactly where and when to throw. Same with your bald guy up in Seattle.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
GumbaFish said:
I am a bills fan, feel free to send me free beer to cheer me up.
LMAO @ the Bills...who REACHED on EVERY pick. All the guys they selected could've been take a full round later:rofl:

..oh yeah, good luck with Dick Juaron too. He was AWFUL as the Bears coach, and AWFUL as the Lions DC. Why he keeps getting jobs is beyond me.:rofl:

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
the Inbred said:
also, just saw that LenDale went in the 2nd round. wow...why'd he go so late?
Cuase he's a fat and lazy slob. A primadonna. He will be good tho, I bet.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Did Leonard Pope (TE) go in the 3rd round?

Why don't they recruit sumo wrestlers?

Lendale White (I think) had more yards and TDs than Reggie Bush last year.

I like Denver picking up Jay Cutler. Aggressive and smart move.