Quantcast

The "official" complaint thread.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
I work with fucking morons. Get in a van, see an O-ringed screw fitting with yellow paint on it in the door tray. I knew instantly that it was the pressure release from the bottle jack. grabbed the jack, yep missing the screw and all the hydraulic fluid leaked out. 4 ton jack is now a steel paperweight. idiots
IMG_20210407_194044491.jpg
IMG_20210407_194051910.jpg
IMG_20210407_194120998.jpg

junkyard

You might feel a little prick.
Sep 1, 2015
San Diego
I work with fucking morons. Get in a van, see an O-ringed screw fitting with yellow paint on it in the door tray. I knew instantly that it was the pressure release from the bottle jack. grabbed the jack, yep missing the screw and all the hydraulic fluid leaked out. 4 ton jack is now a steel paperweight. idiotsView attachment 158740View attachment 158741View attachment 158742
Just get some jack oil at harbor freight and fill it up. Fixed a bunch of “broken” jacks by adding oil.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Word is now crashing when I try to save a file to pdf, this is sub-optimal.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Sent the file to a colleague, same issue, Word hangs when saving to PDF.
Printing to PDF however worked for me when I tried that during my troubleshooting.
Stupid technology.
upload to Google Docs, export from there?

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
@Toshi Windows 10 comes with a built in PDF "printer", so no need for tomfoolery with ad filled 3rd party software.

I just tried saving a word file as PDF and got no issues - 365, Version 2008 (build 13127.21348).

Anything funky in the word file, like an embedded excel or visio file?

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
As per my post above, it worked when I print it to pdf, it hangs when I attempt to save as pdf...

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
As per my post above, it worked when I print it to pdf, it hangs when I attempt to save as pdf...

PC Load Letter?

Adobe Acrobat/Reader has been a piece of crap for me for the past few years. Could be my corporate core load but my last company used Bluebeam Revu, I really liked that package.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
PC Load Letter?

Adobe Acrobat/Reader has been a piece of crap for me for the past few years. Could be my corporate core load but my last company used Bluebeam Revu, I really liked that package.
I was out of ribbon on the dot matrix.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Wife's personal Dell laptop is less than 3 years old and I noticed last night the battery is horribly swollen. Dell website appears to tell you good luck if you're out of warranty.

New 3rd party replacement is about $100 and I haven't even checked YT to see how much of a pain to replace.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Wife's personal Dell laptop is less than 3 years old and I noticed last night the battery is horribly swollen. Dell website appears to tell you good luck if you're out of warranty.

New 3rd party replacement is about $100 and I haven't even checked YT to see how much of a pain to replace.
Let me guess, an XPS? Lots of small bolts to deal with, otherwise not that hard. Finding a reliable aftermarket battery is a crapshoot though.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Let me guess, an XPS? Lots of small bolts to deal with, otherwise not that hard. Finding a reliable aftermarket battery is a crapshoot though.
Latitude 7389, I'll take suggestions on good battery source rather than me picking at random if you've got one.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Dell should make their laptops from cardboard. Will make it easier to recycle them when they shit the bed every 2 years.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp

I wonder how many battery posts I've made over the last year about this. :busted:

According to my Dell rep, they know it's a problem and rolled out system/bios updates recently (last year or earlier this year, I forget..) to help prevent it from happening.

Which warranty do you have? We were also told, because of these known problems, as long as the laptop is in warranty, it will be replaced. Normally the battery is under warranty for only one year.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
I wonder how many battery posts I've made over the last year about this. :busted:

According to my Dell rep, they know it's a problem and rolled out system/bios updates recently (last year or earlier this year, I forget..) to help prevent it from happening.

Which warranty do you have? We were also told, because of these known problems, as long as the laptop is in warranty, it will be replaced. Normally the battery is under warranty for only one year.
It only had a year of warranty, expired August 2019 IIRC. I think I did bios and driver updates for her sometime last year.
We won't mention the fact that my Dell Inspiron 15 7000 Series has been happily chugging along since October of 2015...
Currently using a 9 year old Dell Latitude, one of my old work laptops which was written off through age.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
We won't mention the fact that my Dell Inspiron 15 7000 Series has been happily chugging along since October of 2015...

I have had a Dell laptop for work since 2000 with a 2 or 3 year refresh cycle. Haven't had a single one that did not have at least one major hardware failure. Now I have always used my laptops in industrial environments, getting picked up and moved around multiple times a day and often placed on a crate to connect to a machine so they do live rough lives. However my latest laptop showed up during the pandemic and largely hasn't moved from my dining room table and the HDMI port shit the bed within the first month.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
My older ones have been bullet proof, newer ones not so much. I only just sold an ancient 2008ish vintage one that someone wanted an XP laptop for car flashing stuff.

Dirtrider

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2006
Asheville, NC
It rained somewhere in the range of 8” to 14+” on my local trails in 72 hours and is now raining again. WTFF.

Last edited:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
My older ones have been bullet proof, newer ones not so much. I only just sold an ancient 2008ish vintage one that someone wanted an XP laptop for car flashing stuff.
I got one in 2010 for grad school, thankfully with the 3 year warranty. It ate 4 mother boards, 3 HDDs and one battery.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Latitude 7389, I'll take suggestions on good battery source rather than me picking at random if you've got one.
I really don't have any. Dell replaced the first battery under warranty (proactively), two years later, it's capacity was unsatisfactory so I bought a NOS one off ebay IIRC - and returned it a week later because it showed severe deterioration after only a dozen cycles. Then got some other no-name crap (I suspect all "aftermarket" XPS batteries are QA rejects while Dell does not sell the originals anymore) and just live with it. :mad: