Quantcast

The Official Iron Horse Sunday / DW-Link Tech. & Tuning Section

stellan996

Chimp
Apr 27, 2020
Also For those interested, the marzocchi shocks can be found cheap online as they dont make this model anymore (i believe its because it crosses over into foxes high end market, and they want marzocchi to be their entry level stuff), there is the tiniest amount of play in the linkages when i slowly lift the bike of the ground, this could be my oe linkage getting worn or the oe bushes worn. The shock comes with half inch du bushings but for some reason they had a lot of play in them. First ride on it was a massive imrpovment compared to rebuilt 5th element. Rebound and compression dampning actually worked, it is a very light tune from factory so suits the sunday nicely. I had to wind both low and highspeed compression about 2 3rds up with a 450lb spring

Olly

Monkey
Oct 1, 2015
Looks like a Marzocchi Moto C2R with a Bomber sticker – I don't think they ever made a Bomber C2R. Still a nice shock though!

stellan996

Chimp
Apr 27, 2020
I believe when fox purchased marz they played with the c2r to bring it to there quality standards then restickered it. Its an awsome bit of gear thats for sure. Everything under the fox/marz line was named bomber so makes sense they changed its name to suit. It definetly gave a new lease of life to the steel donkey

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
I sold a buddy of mine my beloved Sunday, a long time ago. It has not been ridden since. I kind of want it back, but isnt realistic. He wants to get rid of it.

If a bro here is interested, please chime in! Is in great shape! Id gladly throw in some unused 26" wetscreams to go with the 26" mavic deemax wheels ;)

stellan996

Chimp
Apr 27, 2020
Looks like a Marzocchi Moto C2R with a Bomber sticker – I don't think they ever made a Bomber C2R. Still a nice shock though!
Do you know much about the the c2r2 fork that was made to match the moto shock, or even the new bomber 58 made by fox?

stellan996

Chimp
Apr 27, 2020
Hi all those looking for linkages, hit up BETD, bought mine from them last month. Heresy current project. Will take a full picture of bike tomorow

06 sunday team
Marzocchi bomber c2r shock
Original boxxer team fork
New shimano brakes each end
Straitline boxxer dm short stem
Straitline 36t chainring
Straitline defacto pedals
Lg1+ chainguide
Raceface atlas raised bars
5mm stem stem spacer

Hopin
Hi all those looking for linkages, hit up BETD, bought mine from them last month. Heresy current project. Will take a full picture of bike tomorow

06 sunday team
Marzocchi bomber c2r shock
Original boxxer team fork
New shimano brakes each end
Straitline boxxer dm short stem
Straitline 36t chainring
Straitline defacto pedals
Lg1+ chainguide
Raceface atlas raised bars
5mm stem stem spacer

Hopung after this season to strip it, paint it and fit new linkage and bearings

Attachments

stellan996

Chimp
Apr 27, 2020
So since fitting the moto/bomber ç2r i jave been considering a fork upgrade and today stumbled upon the avalanche cartridge upgrade in which they atill mke for a 06 boxxer, is is far cheaper and easier to find then a new or late model 26 inch fork. Just wondering if anyone has run this mod and was it as reliable as people say it was performance wise

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
So since fitting the moto/bomber ç2r i jave been considering a fork upgrade and today stumbled upon the avalanche cartridge upgrade in which they atill mke for a 06 boxxer, is is far cheaper and easier to find then a new or late model 26 inch fork. Just wondering if anyone has run this mod and was it as reliable as people say it was performance wise
@rpet to the white courtesy phone, don't you have one of these in an old 26" Boxxer?

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
Yea I have a 2010 avy cart in a 2010 coil boxxer. Reliability was excellent. I installed it myself, easy-peasy.

But I haven’t ridden or touched it in 5 years.

I had the extra mid stroke valving option and I liked the overall set-up back then. It was definitely a stiffer and more racey compression than I was used to at the time, but great if you were really on it. Most forks back then didn’t want to stay high in the travel, but in 2020 I find that’s waaaay less of an issue.

I haven’t kept up on the Avy cart... from their site it appears like it has been developed more since my version.

Other guys on here were running the Avy too.

@rpet to the white courtesy phone, don't you have one of these in an old 26" Boxxer?

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
Anyone interested in a 2005 (I think) Iron Horse Sunday?

I sold mine a looooong time ago to a buddy who doesn't really ride, and pretty sure has never ridden it. Years later he's looking to clear out his garage and get rid of the Sunday. I'd prefer that someone who appreciates the brand and lineage take over.

Should be in excellent condition. Ready to ride!

Edit - Whoops, didnt realize i posted similar back in may...

Last edited:

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
I also know of 2 Sundays with Boxxers sitting unused in the Bay Area if anyone is looking for em. One is the gloss black with lime green logos, the other is the matte brown one. 07-08 models maybe, both L or maybe one L and one M... ?

My 2 buddies don't ride anymore, and they are just sitting... in very not mind condition. :)

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
IME, this is a no brainer. I'm on the edge about getting one for my Fox 34, really I should just "pull the trigger". It's $500, but I'm so sick of trying to get the damn thing to work well. 2 Push rebuilds, has always made a sucking noise with any significant rebound, always harsh no matter what token configuration, etc.

I have the cart on my Yarilanche (formerly a Lyrik) and just got my rebuilt Avy-tuned RC4 back. My god, I don't even think about suspension when I'm riding that bike, as in it's so F-ing good. The front and rear are so stable, they don't blow through travel, so much support, yet it's never "harsh". Seriously, after a run I think "maybe I should think about if I need to change something?" and then my mind is just elsewhere because it works so damn good when riding. If anything, at slower speeds, they can be a little "firm", but with the damping it's not a "harsh" feel and the harder you push them in hard terrain, the smoother they feel, vs. just about every other OEM piece where the faster/harder you ride the harsher it gets. The low speed support is real. Go off a curb and it doesn't blow through 3/4 of the travel, which is quite the different feeling if you aren't used to it. There's so much bullshit with suspension, year after year. Technically, a closed cart can provide more consistent damping due to no foaming, but the tunes are just so whacked out and the circuits don't work like they are supposed to, etc. The open bath cart is dead simple to change the oil and it just provides consistent performance run after run. With all the little bells and whistles that Fox and RS try to put out there (think about how long RS has been trying to make the Charger work decent, 1.0, 2.0, 2.1, ultimate, etc.), the cart with base valve, moving rebound and mid-valve with proper shims and circuits works better than any stock fork I've had. Every year the big suspension companies try to convince us that we should buy the new product that finally fixes all of the crap. It never happens.

Bnito

Chimp
Feb 18, 2020
Does anyone know what sort of rear brake adapter i would need if i were to replace current 185mm rotor to a 203mm rotor?

09 sunday world cup (photo in 5056 post)

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
I also know of 2 Sundays with Boxxers sitting unused in the Bay Area if anyone is looking for em. One is the gloss black with lime green logos, the other is the matte brown one. 07-08 models maybe, both L or maybe one L and one M... ?

My 2 buddies don't ride anymore, and they are just sitting... in very not mind condition. :)
Just an FYI, The shit brown one with the glow-in-the-dark-green decals (that don't actually glow) would be an '07 Elite. SUPPOSEDLY "Made in the USA", though it came with a "made in Taiwan" sticker on it.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Just an FYI, The shit brown one with the glow-in-the-dark-green decals (that don't actually glow) would be an '07 Elite. SUPPOSEDLY "Made in the USA", though it came with a "made in Taiwan" sticker on it.
Those particular frames are welded in the USA, they also use different tubing (6069 tubing instead of 6061). Toodles and I had both versions from the same year and the frames were (slightly) different. Probably just all assembled in Taiwan together.

For anyone interested the weight difference is negligible, basically all '07-'09 (inclusive) frames are good, and weigh about the same (within ~50g). The only exception is the '08 factory which is lighter due to anodizing.

stellan996

Chimp
Apr 27, 2020
Yea I have a 2010 avy cart in a 2010 coil boxxer. Reliability was excellent. I installed it myself, easy-peasy.

But I haven’t ridden or touched it in 5 years.

I had the extra mid stroke valving option and I liked the overall set-up back then. It was definitely a stiffer and more racey compression than I was used to at the time, but great if you were really on it. Most forks back then didn’t want to stay high in the travel, but in 2020 I find that’s waaaay less of an issue.

I haven’t kept up on the Avy cart... from their site it appears like it has been developed more since my version.

Other guys on here were running the Avy too.
I bought a set of 26 inch fox 40s for a bargain today, so will be getting those done instead. Keen to see if my boxxer teams are as bad as i think they are, could never get them to perform properly like the compression was nearly all or nothing and rebound seems non existent.

On another note, my moto/bomber c2r has been making a choof sound towards the end of compression stroke or possibly start of rebound. After the first ride there was a small amount if residue around the compression adjusters but a few runs today and couldnt see any oil. Is this nornal? The sound is almost like my the seat contacting the tyre over larger impacts but if i bounce on the bike hard i can replicate it.

stellan996

Chimp
Apr 27, 2020
So this embarassing but following the last post i forgot to check the steering tension and found it was stiff.
after loosening all 3 pinch bolts then the top cap bolt this was fixed but had the same play in it as before. I have tried everything i could think of such as changine the shim configuration, changing the spacer configuration, loosening pinch bolts and following standard procedure for headset adjustment but cant get rid of the play.

There is one thing that came to mind after packing all my shit up for the day, and that is i that i didnt use the the crown race of the original fork but instead the one that came on the 40s. Before i pull it all appart again on sunday hopefully can someone tell me this is where im going wrong.

stellan996

Chimp
Apr 27, 2020
While we are on this topic, can someone tell me what the difference is between the 40 float and 40 float R and how i can identify which model i have. This is a factory model and apparently a 14/15 but avalanche list two options the float and float r

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Keep the RC2 damper, it's excellent. I'd take it over the avalanche "upgrade" any day.
You have the newer (lighter) 40 chassis and higher-end RC2 damper (i.e. not R).

Any improvement to that fork will come in the form of replacing the air spring with a coil.
The 1st gen float 40 air spring is average at best, the 2nd gen not much better.

stellan996

Chimp
Apr 27, 2020
Keep the RC2 damper, it's excellent. I'd take it over the avalanche "upgrade" any day.
You have the newer (lighter) 40 chassis and higher-end RC2 damper (i.e. not R).

Any improvement to that fork will come in the form of replacing the air spring with a coil.
The 1st gen float 40 air spring is average at best, the 2nd gen not much better.
The avalanche is a hybrid air/coil. They dont do plain coil conversion anymore as they cant buy parts for a 2014/15. At nearly 1200aud plus fitting at my LBS I think ill hold off on the swap anyway, got it assembled today with no play and the top cap nipped up but no stiff steering. Put the original crown race back on and also turns out all 5 shims belong under the top cover, none between the race and bottom cap. Shame it will be a while before i can test it on the trails

stellan996

Chimp
Apr 27, 2020
So jobs for today, put the rebuild kit in the straitline pedals and see if i can sort out the play i still have in the headset (its minimal but doesnt feel right, advice on how many shims to use would be helpful or it may be something else hopefully).
On the same subject the top split race, does this have to be installed before sliding the the steerer through (prick of a job) or can i gently tap it in after using a similar technique to seating the crown the race?

Last edited:

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
On the same subject the top split race, does this have to be installed before sliding the the steerer through (prick of a job) or can i gently tap it in after using a similar technique to seating the crown the race?
You mean the conical compression ring that sits above (in) the top headset bearing?(under the headset top seal)
Those just slide into position. no tapping required. and compress to preload the headset via the star nut top cap bolt (or alternative) as it pulls the stem and spacers down the steerer

or are you talking about some non standard headset design?

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2019
Hi guys I've just bought another iron horse Sunday I'm looking for a dw link and the relevant bolts for it , has anyone on here got any I could buy , cheers Carl

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Hi guys I've just bought another iron horse Sunday I'm looking for a dw link and the relevant bolts for it , has anyone on here got any I could buy , cheers Carl
The DW link is the overall design of the suspension, to clarify, you are asking for the linkages themselves it sounds like?

Bnito

Chimp
Feb 18, 2020
My son has been riding his ironhorse very active this summer. Last time we went to our local bike park he crashed twice as we did few challenging routes.

Yesterday i noticed his rear deraullier had taken some damage, only the adjustment bolt for the smallest gear had broken, other than that seems ok. I'll see if i can find a replacement bolt..

But i cant seem to find a sram 9 speed short cage rear deraullier. Any suggestions?

Or should i start to look for a whole new drivetrain (casette, rear deraullier and gear lever)

MrBaker87

Monkey
Mar 30, 2014
neverlandranch
I’m not positive on this, but I think that you can mate a 10spd derailleur up (at least shimano) with a 9spd trigger just fine. I think people were doing that for awhile to get clutched derailleurs on 9spd set ups. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I’m not positive on this, but I think that you can mate a 10spd derailleur up (at least shimano) with a 9spd trigger just fine. I think people were doing that for awhile to get clutched derailleurs on 9spd set ups. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

Pretty sure you needed a little plate that changed the cable throw. On some derailleurs you could drill out the arm to get the throw right, but it was a challenge. You can find some 9 speed derailleurs now with a clutch, but your best bet is ebay.

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!

Pretty sure you needed a little plate that changed the cable throw. On some derailleurs you could drill out the arm to get the throw right, but it was a challenge. You can find some 9 speed derailleurs now with a clutch, but your best bet is ebay.
Handy link is handy...