Quantcast

The Official Iron Horse Sunday / DW-Link Tech. & Tuning Section

May 3, 2004
Sanna Croooz
You are much too fat to ride bikes. Have you ever tried not eating thirds fat fatty:popcorn: fat head?
That must be the problem. I guess I'm too fat.

Anyway...it feels the same way that DW has been describing as a stock DHX. Too much compression damping. What would be the best way to tune a stock DHX for my sunday? I tried reading like 20 pages of this thread and I couldn't really come up with the answer I was looking for.

I'm guessing that if I end up using a 350lbs spring on a standard DHX, I might need to run the bottom out about halfway in and the boost pressure at less than 110? Is it possible that Fox didn't tune this shock for a Sunday?

woof

Monkey
May 17, 2005
There is a huge conspiracy go on here. Fox is lying to us all and plans on stealing our pension funds and moving to the Galapagos Islands.

May 3, 2004
Sanna Croooz
That must be the problem. I guess I'm too fat.

Anyway...it feels the same way that DW has been describing as a stock DHX. Too much compression damping. What would be the best way to tune a stock DHX for my sunday? I tried reading like 20 pages of this thread and I couldn't really come up with the answer I was looking for.

I'm guessing that if I end up using a 350lbs spring on a standard DHX, I might need to run the bottom out about halfway in and the boost pressure at less than 110? Is it possible that Fox didn't tune this shock for a Sunday?
I must sound like a total chode, 'cause I'm not really getting the reponse I was expecting from this thread. Any help would be huge, so please can I get a halfway serious answer?

rosenamedpoop

Turbo Monkey
Feb 27, 2004
just Santa Cruz...
I must sound like a total chode, 'cause I'm not really getting the reponse I was expecting from this thread. Any help would be huge, so please can I get a halfway serious answer?
Well...sounding like a chode is part of it, but quoting yourself seals the deal.

Oh yeah, and no you can't.

Besides, you already know what to do. Just run the 300 and increase your boost dawg.

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
Guys - go easy on Chimi OK?

Chimi - just sent you a PM that should answer all your questions. Sorry it took so long - been a bit busy lately.

-Your friendly neighborhood SundayMan.

sbabuser

Turbo Monkey
Dec 22, 2004
Golden, CO
I'm 185 and the 350 has been good for me. I ran the 300 for a little while and the bike definitely has more pop w/ the next step up spring weight.

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
If it were me, I wouldn't do it.

Will it effect the structural integrity of the HT? Possibly, but that is something that only time will tell.

If you DO weaken it by drilling and the HT itself fails (cracks)... ever seen what happens to a rider when the HT joint fails and the front end snaps off? Happened to one guy riding a SC Bullit and he almost got paralyzed.

Also - your warranty will go out the window.

Glue my friend.

Don't feel bad about it - the head badge won't know the difference. :)

Banga

Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Wellington, New Zealand
This is for Ska Todd or Dante

Stupid question(s) maybe, but my buddy has a 07 "World cup" nice pretty Monster green, there are a couple of things that are a bit weird about it.
First off its a complete bike so would have thought it would should have World Cup decals on the top tube , well his has Factory decals.

Secondly I thought the World cups and Factorys were US made, but his has a nice little "made in Taiwan" sticker under the BB in the same place as my team.

What Gives?

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
On that topic, here's some other interesting info about the us/taiwan sunday frames. A friend and I have both frames (07) between us, and when we weighed them they were pretty much the same:

Sunday Elite (same as factory/wc)
4095g

Sunday Team
4087g

That was for frame, shock pins/bolts, hanger, and all hardware (except shock reducers+spacers). Also included e13 headset cups and 2x bearings. Add 73g to either weight for axle.

The small weight difference could be put down to paint thickness or whatever, but there you go - the US made frames definitely aren't lighter! Good news for those team/expert owners. :)

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Anyway - I didn't get a solid reply to my previous question so i'll ask again. I'm ~145lbs and need a 275lb spring and want it in titanium to save weight. Problem is, they don't exist.

I don't want a 250 because I ride fairly aggressively and like a little pop, and also don't want to preload it much because that'll make it harder earlier in the stroke but still soft near bottom out (which I don't want on a sunday!).

I don't want a 300 because I won't get enough sag (need at least 33%), and even running zero preload won't let me achieve it.

So - I was thinking, could I get a 300 and get it lathed down slightly to get my 33%? Or will that make the spring likely to fail even if I chamfer all the sharp edges?

The other option is a dhx air, which will let me run the correct springrate and also weigh less (which would be great!)... surely they can't be all that bad? the tracks I ride regularly are all 3:30 max, and I could keep the coil shock and stock 300 spring to switch in for anything longer if needed...

davetrump

Turbo Monkey
Jul 29, 2003
The small weight difference could be put down to paint thickness or whatever, but there you go - the US made frames definitely aren't lighter! Good news for those team/expert owners. :)
are both frames in question the same size?

Salami

Turbo Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
Waxhaw, NC
Anyway - I didn't get a solid reply to my previous question so i'll ask again. I'm ~145lbs and need a 275lb spring and want it in titanium to save weight. Problem is, they don't exist.

I don't want a 250 because I ride fairly aggressively and like a little pop, and also don't want to preload it much because that'll make it harder earlier in the stroke but still soft near bottom out (which I don't want on a sunday!).

I don't want a 300 because I won't get enough sag (need at least 33%), and even running zero preload won't let me achieve it.

So - I was thinking, could I get a 300 and get it lathed down slightly to get my 33%? Or will that make the spring likely to fail even if I chamfer all the sharp edges?

The other option is a dhx air, which will let me run the correct springrate and also weigh less (which would be great!)... surely they can't be all that bad? the tracks I ride regularly are all 3:30 max, and I could keep the coil shock and stock 300 spring to switch in for anything longer if needed...

Check with RCS. I spoke to them a while back about getting some springs wound. One thing that was suggested to me is that they measure the actual spring rate of each spring and supposedly write it on the box. I forget the exact % variance but it was around 5%. So a 300 could range ~285-315. A 250 from ~238-262.

Maybe you could get one on the high or low side that could get you close to where you need.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Udi, have you weighed your self in all your riding gears, shoes, helmet and all? (heh..OK..so it was a lame thought...)

..but on a positive note, my 07 Sunday Elite will be paid for so I can take it off the shop floor finally.

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
Udi - that's a tough one. When you fall between spring rates, it's a real pain in the a$$. I have a similar problem with the 300 - 350# range.

I decided to settle on a 300 for racing and a 350 for freeriding, but that could change if I put on some more muscle.

Like what was mentioned before - try getting a spring that is a bit more on the high side of variance - that might do the trick.

I'll check around w/ Fox in the meantime and see what the deal is on a 275# spring.

BUTCH - glad to hear you got the Sunday paid off!

L

LFB

I've been looking to purchase a DH race bike to add to my stable. A couple of my bikes include an Intense 5.5 and VPX. I've been debating between a Socom and an M3, since I've been very happy with the VPP design; however, a couple people have suggested I consider a Sunday. Since I have become used to highly styled bikes, it's hard to accept the look of the Sunday. Although the functionality of it is well regarded, the contruction is rather plain, somewhat resembling a high-school metal shop project where a bunch of aluminum tubes and parts are welded together with no visual design consideration. Yes, visual design is important to me. And when the frames are at this expensive, I expect the whole package to be thought out.

My question is, is there any hope that the Sunday will receive a design make-over utilizing the DW link in the near future, such as for 2008?

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
I've been looking to purchase a DH race bike to add to my stable. A couple of my bikes include an Intense 5.5 and VPX. I've been debating between a Socom and an M3, since I've been very happy with the VPP design; however, a couple people have suggested I consider a Sunday. Since I have become used to highly styled bikes, it's hard to accept the look of the Sunday. Although the functionality of it is well regarded, the contruction is rather plain, somewhat resembling a high-school metal shop project where a bunch of aluminum tubes and parts are welded together with no visual design consideration. Yes, visual design is important to me. And when the frames are at this expensive, I expect the whole package to be thought out.

My question is, is there any hope that the Sunday will receive a design make-over utilizing the DW link in the near future, such as for 2008?
must....resist......responding........in.....my.......brutally.......crappy.....way!!!
Ska Todd......helllllppppppppppp!!!:huh:

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey

Butch - it's O.K., I got this one.

Actually, I kind of understand where you are coming from LFB. As someone who also has artistic aptitudes, I was a bit skeptical about the look of the Sunday as well. Up close it really is a work of art though if you look at the CNC work that was put into the uprights underneath the seat tube and the over-all design of the bike.

Compared to an Intense M3 or a Socom it is a different beast, but I like to think of it as more of a "heavy industrial" kind of vibe - think of some of the buttress style architecture from the early 20th century especially with regard to metal-framed structures.

Artistic qualities are subjective - what appeals to one may not to another.

I will say this however - on a race course the bike feels incredible.

Not sure what dw has in store for the future (well, I have a general idea - but nothing that I can talk about in public :biggrin: )

Get up close and personal with one in a bike shop - take it for a test drive and see what you think afterwards.

SpasticJack

Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
LFB...I'd suggest you stick to the M3 or the SOCOM if the Sunday's aesthetics don't suit you. After all...it's not about how fast you go, it's about how fast you look right?

L

LFB

Good answer SKC. I was trying to look at it from an industrial point of view, but it doesn't completely follow that. The front tri looks good, but the girder peice and the rear tri uprights don't seem to flow.

Yeah, I'm picky.

I have seen them in person, and did a parking lot ride, but I know that's close to meaningless, especially since it had a 300# spring and I weigh 190#. So basically, I can't take anything from that ride as useful.

BTW, I ride and race for fun, so I like having good looking bikes.

L

LFB

LFB...I'd suggest you stick to the M3 or the SOCOM if the Sunday's aesthetics don't suit you. After all...it's not about how fast you go, it's about how fast you look right?
BTW, no offense taken. When you go to the races, you can usually see who cares how their bike looks and those who don't. But when it comes to speed, neither are really any faster. Some people have bikes that just look hacked, but they still go fast. Six one way, half a dozen the other.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
RCS replied promptly - unfortunately all they had between 250 and 300 was a 258.

I decided to bite the bullet and try the air, figured being the weenie I am it was only a matter of time before I tried it out anyway :). Will post up how it goes after I get the bike built up and some ride time on it.

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
Really...

The "Gold Edition" Factory frames were only made for sponsored riders to use at the 06' World Championships in New Zealand...

Who sold you this frame?

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
I believe that our UK distributor special ordered some gold frames as a commemorative edition. :monkeydance:
Really?

That's pretty cool.

I was not aware of this - Dante, you gotta make sure these memos get sent my way. Send them to my my secretary at the marble desk by the water fountain with the lilly pads floating in it.
:biggrin: