Quantcast

The Official Iron Horse Sunday / DW-Link Tech. & Tuning Section

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
What size are the countersunk bolts for the lower shock mount on the 07s? I lost one yesterday...

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
Sean, I'll measure one off of my bike and post it up later this afternoon. Should be easy to get from a local hardware store,

BUT: make sure the bolt is at least "Grade 8"

EDIT:

Length: 16mm
Washer Thickness: 1.5mm

ZEDMAN

Monkey
Nov 19, 2003
S.F. California
im sure its been answered in one of these pages somewhere but searching through 50 pages to get this answer seems over the top. so here goes. need to know where the bb spacers go? sunday with regular e-13 guide that i setup with the iscg mounted with the black spacers as e-13's manual explained. i have fsa gap megaexo cranks 83mm bb and there are 2 spacers included with the kit and im wondering which side to throw the spacers on as its not shown in the installation instructions anywhere for the 83mm bb.

thanks for the help ahead of time

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
im sure its been answered in one of these pages somewhere but searching through 50 pages to get this answer seems over the top. so here goes. need to know where the bb spacers go? sunday with regular e-13 guide that i setup with the iscg mounted with the black spacers as e-13's manual explained. i have fsa gap megaexo cranks 83mm bb and there are 2 spacers included with the kit and im wondering which side to throw the spacers on as its not shown in the installation instructions anywhere for the 83mm bb.

thanks for the help ahead of time
Thats a bb/crank specific question, has nothing to do with the sunday specifically, except that the cranks only come on that bike....

just an educated guess, with two 2.5mm washers, one on each side would be my thought...you could always measure the chainline to figure it out..should be 57.5mm from center of frame to centerline of chainring.

ZEDMAN

Monkey
Nov 19, 2003
S.F. California
well i got the cranks off qbp so they are new to the frame technically......but now that i understand how to measure out the 57.5mm then thatll do just as well thanks.

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
well i got the cranks off qbp so they are new to the frame technically......but now that i understand how to measure out the 57.5mm then thatll do just as well thanks.
something is up..the gravity gap cranks available for purchace are 68/73mm only. Do you either have gravitys? or 73mm gaps?

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
You can source 83mm gaps davep, not sure where everyone got the idea that they're oem-only. I remember another guy in the "lightest 83mm cranks" thread buying a set of the 06 ones.

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
You can source 83mm gaps davep, not sure where everyone got the idea that they're oem-only. I remember another guy in the "lightest 83mm cranks" thread buying a set of the 06 ones.
Not listed on the FSA site, not listed at QBP, or BTI, or Cycleslambert (Canadian FSA distro) or any other distributors in any way. Not listed at any web-retailers, cant find them on google, not available through lbs. A good friend works @ FSA and did not know of them....my guess is they are comming directly from TH industries.

I am not saying they do not exist, as they are on complete sundays...I have just never seen them on any site, wholesale or retail, and I have been looking for the last month or so for lighter weight 83mm cranks for my personal build.

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
Yes, had my 04 DHR ripped off out of my garage a few months ago. Was thinking a new DHR to replace it but could not find any at the time, and the LBS just got their last Sunday frames (also on the short list) for the year.
Seems like frames are in short supply this year, and i did not want to risk being stuck without, so I grabbed a green frame and have been slowely putting it together.
Heading to Whistler this fri-mon to break it in...and me, as it has been over a year off the bike due to back problems/surgery.

cant wait!!

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
I have been looking for the last month or so for lighter weight 83mm cranks for my personal build.
If you've got something to get you by, wait for the new MegaExo Gravity Lites. Hill seems to be on them already, so hopefully they'll be out and available soon.

Judging by the Gap situation though, it mightn't be tooo soon... :twitch:

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
That's a good question, but as far as I know the updated linkage kits are only available for the Sunday at this point.

But - if you need replacement linkage for your 7Point you can contact Mike L. in warranty/tech support:

1-800-645-5477

MikeL@ironhorsebikes.com (warranty/tech support/CS)

dhjapan

Chimp
Jun 9, 2007
Both, actally. A good online shop for springs is:

http://www.go-ride.com/

Actually you are correct in your assumptions. A threaded bar that would fit through the center of both bearings on either side of the frame combined with some bolts and really large diameter washers would work.

An Easier solution though would be to purchase small to medium sized C-Clamps:

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Search?keyword=c+clamp&onlineStore=true&langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053&marketID=401&locStoreNum=8125

You can use one of these to press in the bearings one at a time.

Hope this helps!

Thanks for this info. I got myself a C clamp and it worked perfectly. Much appreciated.

DhDork

Monkey
Mar 30, 2007
Hell, AZ
Anyone have the full geometry specs for the World Cup?? I am trying to deside whether to get the small or medium, but all I could find were seat tube lengths, and my computer won't let me open the .pdf document on full specs.

~Thanks

Sgt.Retro

Chimp
Jun 26, 2007
Franconia
First of all :thumb: for this great thread! Till now it helped me a lot, especially for the set up of my shock!
I´m from Germany and, for about 2 weeks now, I´m a proud owner of a ´06 Sunday Elite, and I have to say I love this bike! I´ve never ridden such an awesome bike.
But although this thread helped me a lot, I´ve got a question and, I think, a problem!
Question first: What parts are included in the ´07 linkage-kit and will it be available in germany? And if not how can I get it?

To my problem:yesterday I´ve ridden the bike for the first time and I recognized that I need another spring, so I removed the shock to change the spring and saw what you can see on the pictures:
on the right side is quite a bit of space between the frame and the lower link, and on the left side there´s no space!
I don´t know if this is quite normal or not, but I can imagine that´s not! So I hope some of you guys can help me to get this right.

Thanks!

Attachments

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
Question first: What parts are included in the ´07 linkage-kit and will it be available in germany? And if not how can I get it?

To my problem:yesterday I´ve ridden the bike for the first time and I recognized that I need another spring, so I removed the shock to change the spring and saw what you can see on the pictures:
on the right side is quite a bit of space between the frame and the lower link, and on the left side there´s no space!
I don´t know if this is quite normal or not, but I can imagine that´s not! So I hope some of you guys can help me to get this right.

Thanks!
To answer your first question: The 07' Linkage Kit replaces the Upper Links, Lower Link, all of the bearings, all of the mounting hardware for the shock. If you need to order a set they are available now. To order call 1-800-645-5477 and ask for Mike L.

Second Question: It's a bit difficult to see detail in the pics but from the looks of things, you might be missing a spacer that goes in between the link and the frame. The 07' Linkage Kit does not use these spacers, but instead uses special Enduro MAX-E extended inner race bearings that eliminate the need for the spacers. At least this is what I'm gathering from the pics - kinda hard to see. :)

Hope this helps.

Aussie DH.

Chimp
Jun 30, 2007
Deleted.. This problem has been sorted. Mike L. was very helpfull with this. It is just a pity that the Aussie suport wasn't as helpfull.

Cheers.

FarkinRyan

Monkey
Dec 15, 2003
Pemberton, BC
I will second Aussie DH.'s assertion that it's as if the Australian distributor actively tries to be as unhelpful as humanly possible. They go a long way to destroying any and all goodwill that the IH employees on this board engender through being so helpful and up front.

All I can say is contact Iron Horse USA direct for any issues you have mate, every time I've emailed them I've gotten a response in under 24 hours that specifically addressed every question asked and offered useful advice and possible solutions to any problem I was having.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Aussie support sucks for most mtb products really, I don't think IH is the sole offender at all.

IH USA have been brilliant though, including sending small parts for free and offering fast and helpful responses like ryan said. Talk to them directly and see how you go.

Daver

Monkey
Jun 1, 2005
Shiddeny
Aussie support sucks for most mtb products really, I don't think IH is the sole offender at all.

IH USA have been brilliant though, including sending small parts for free and offering fast and helpful responses like ryan said. Talk to them directly and see how you go.
Agreed 100%, although Kevin is probably the worst I've delt with, but that was made up by Todd.

Sgt.Retro

Chimp
Jun 26, 2007
Franconia
To answer your first question: The 07' Linkage Kit replaces the Upper Links, Lower Link, all of the bearings, all of the mounting hardware for the shock. If you need to order a set they are available now. To order call 1-800-645-5477 and ask for Mike L.

Second Question: It's a bit difficult to see detail in the pics but from the looks of things, you might be missing a spacer that goes in between the link and the frame. The 07' Linkage Kit does not use these spacers, but instead uses special Enduro MAX-E extended inner race bearings that eliminate the need for the spacers. At least this is what I'm gathering from the pics - kinda hard to see. :)

Hope this helps.
Thanks for answering my question for the linkage-kit, but one part of this question is still unanswered: will it be available in Germany?
Another question which I have is: will I also need new reducer hardware for the shock? I hope you can tell me that. Thanks

For the problem with the link, I can just say sorry for the bad pictures, but they looked better on the camera!
Anyhow, I don´t think that I´m missing a spacer, because on the left side there´s no spacer between the link and the frame, too!
You can also see that the "blue caps"( sorry, but I don´t know the exact name in English) fit right into the link on both sides!
So I really don´t know what´s the cause for the space and how I can get it right. Perhaps someone from IH will read this and can help me!

But nevertheless a big "Thanks!" for trying to help me!

dhjapan

Chimp
Jun 9, 2007
Agreed 100%, although Kevin is probably the worst I've delt with, but that was made up by Todd.
The IH distributor here in Japan is a waste of space. I've only ever been told "we don't have it and can't get it". IH USA on the other hand are fantastic to deal with. They have sent me small parts free of charge before now, and I called them a few weeks ago to get the new 07 Linkage kit. Spoke to Carl in CS and he was really helpful. The kit was in Japan 2 days after I ordered it from IH USA (took a few more days after that to get to my house though as Japanese Customs were taking their time with it:banghead: )

dhmtbiker9

Chimp
Dec 8, 2006
Are the 10mm shock hardware still 1/2 du bushing size?I might be getting a shock off of an 07 for my 06.I am hoping to swap out bushings and be all set. DH9

G3ars0fDH

Monkey
Dec 26, 2006
I cant wait to get an iron horse sunday frame.IH horse seems to have Amazing customer service based on the repsonses of emails ive sent to them. Unlike the current brand bike I have where I spent 5k on a bike and there to lazy to even answer basic suspension questions or give me auto replies or insult me... Ill give you a hint it starts with a K cough cough kona

May 30, 2005
A$$pen
Any suggestions on setting up an E.13 SRS on an 06? Right now the chain is rubbing on the backplate, the inside of the lower roller assembly, and the upper guide is rubbing the inside of the bashguard. I had 1 spacer between the mounts and the backplate, but that pushed it even further so now I have no spacers. I am running the recommended 83x128mm BB.

RD

Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
Boston, MA
Any suggestions on setting up an E.13 SRS on an 06? Right now the chain is rubbing on the backplate, the inside of the lower roller assembly, and the upper guide is rubbing the inside of the bashguard. I had 1 spacer between the mounts and the backplate, but that pushed it even further so now I have no spacers. I am running the recommended 83x128mm BB.
Do you have a spacer behind your BB cup? You need that.