Quantcast

The Official Iron Horse Sunday / DW-Link Tech. & Tuning Section

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
can I get a hard copy manual for an '07 Sunday Team? The info here is great, but I want a book I can put in my tool box. complete with torque specs and installation instructions, etc.
As far as I know it doesn't exist. You could print the torque specs off here or just use the ones on the frame.

Rob Munro

Monkey
Jul 22, 2005
I know. Its not just the torque specs though. I guess I just expected, and like to have, a comprehensive manual with my bikes. This thread will have to do for now, but it really is lame that there isn't even a PDF version available online.

phill1

Chimp
Jun 24, 2006
I just got a new 07 sunday team and i have a knocking noise coming from somewhere. It sounds like a loose linckage or something but everything is tight. It sounds like it's coming from the lower likage area bu tI am not 100% sure. Has anyone had anyissues like this ? any help would be appriciated. Thank's.

Phil

Rob Munro

Monkey
Jul 22, 2005
I just got a new 07 sunday team and i have a knocking noise coming from somewhere. It sounds like a loose linckage or something but everything is tight. It sounds like it's coming from the lower likage area bu tI am not 100% sure. Has anyone had anyissues like this ? any help would be appriciated. Thank's.

Phil
it could be the chain shortening and pulling on the cassette/hub when the shock compresses. makes a clunking sound. try compressing your rear shock rapidly by hand. I hear a similar noise when cruising through rock gardens, but never while pedaling. either that, or check the frame for areas of chain contact and use some inner tube to pad it.

phill1

Chimp
Jun 24, 2006
it could be the chain shortening and pulling on the cassette/hub when the shock compresses. makes a clunking sound. try compressing your rear shock rapidly by hand. I hear a similar noise when cruising through rock gardens, but never while pedaling. either that, or check the frame for areas of chain contact and use some inner tube to pad it.
Now that you mention it,your right I dont hear it when I pedal.Thank's I will check the chain out.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Now that you mention it,your right I dont hear it when I pedal.Thank's I will check the chain out.
FYI...since no bike company has ever comprehended actually supplying their bike with actual frame protection for the swingarm (could anyone imagine that crap in moto?)....slide plastic tubing over your derailleur housing or kiss that housing goodbye as the chain will eat right through it.

Seriously guys...why do we all not question this crap? Every bike company leaves it up to us to keep the chain from eating through hell and half of georgia!!! Why? B/c the frame is shiny in a pic?
One more reason why bike specing is LAME!!!

shagwell

Monkey
Jun 15, 2004
Okay, I'm also having issues with movement in my 06 linkage..

The problem area is the rear of the lower linkage which started developing movement after 8 months or so of owning the frame. This in itself I was pissed about as my last frame, an azonic recoil, took 3 years to start to show any signs of wear in the back end, and then only because the back end was twisted.

I have changed the bearings out but the problem is still there, is it possible that the pin that goes through the linkage could have worn? And if so, why? The only reason I can see for a part like this to wear is bad tolerances.

Also, these new "revised" 07 links.. I know the shock mounting hardware is different, but are there any changes to the bottom link which will prevent the problems I'm having arising?

Just so you know there is no way I will pay 300 pounds uk to put these new links on my now 1 year old frame. Why should I pay out more money for something that should have worked in the first place? However, I may consider upgrading to a new frame if the problem is guaranteed to have been ironed out. Basically if you can tell me I will get a good 2 years riding without having to waste my time arsing around with worn hardware then I will buy a new frame, if you can't then I'll do what I probably should have done in the first place and stay British and buy a 224.

Alot of questions in there I know but i would greatly appreciate the answers.:)

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
FYI...since no bike company has ever comprehended actually supplying their bike with actual frame protection for the swingarm (could anyone imagine that crap in moto?)....slide plastic tubing over your derailleur housing or kiss that housing goodbye as the chain will eat right through it.

Seriously guys...why do we all not question this crap? Every bike company leaves it up to us to keep the chain from eating through hell and half of georgia!!! Why? B/c the frame is shiny in a pic?
One more reason why bike specing is LAME!!!
My frame came with 2 custom-fit protectors. All Specialized bikes do.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Touché, but the other protectors work great. My Stumpjumper and Enduro had great guards that wrapped around the pivot.

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
Okay, I'm also having issues with movement in my 06 linkage..

The problem area is the rear of the lower linkage which started developing movement after 8 months or so of owning the frame. This in itself I was pissed about as my last frame, an azonic recoil, took 3 years to start to show any signs of wear in the back end, and then only because the back end was twisted.

I have changed the bearings out but the problem is still there, is it possible that the pin that goes through the linkage could have worn? And if so, why? The only reason I can see for a part like this to wear is bad tolerances.

Also, these new "revised" 07 links.. I know the shock mounting hardware is different, but are there any changes to the bottom link which will prevent the problems I'm having arising?

Just so you know there is no way I will pay 300 pounds uk to put these new links on my now 1 year old frame. Why should I pay out more money for something that should have worked in the first place? However, I may consider upgrading to a new frame if the problem is guaranteed to have been ironed out. Basically if you can tell me I will get a good 2 years riding without having to waste my time arsing around with worn hardware then I will buy a new frame, if you can't then I'll do what I probably should have done in the first place and stay British and buy a 224.

Alot of questions in there I know but i would greatly appreciate the answers.:)
I am kind of at a loss with this type of post. It is impossible for someone to help if you cannot tell what is loose. Take the frame apart and test fit all the parts together...what is loose? where?. It should be easy to figure out what parts are loose. Did you use any kind of bearing retaining compound (propper loc tite for this kind of assembly) when installing new bearings? Any and all pins/axles/bearings that are pressed and or slid into place in (another piece/part) should have some kind of retaining compound applied, to prevent galling/disimilar metal corosion/wearing of softer part.

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
What kind of play are you experiencing? Is it lateral (side-to side) or horizontal?

Sometimes when new bearings get pressed in, they are not seated properly - that is - they are not completely pushed in all the way.

Have you double checked the linkage for any other spots where you may be experiencing this play?

Biscuit

Turbo Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
Pleasant Hill, CA
What kind of play are you experiencing? Is it lateral (side-to side) or horizontal?

Sometimes when new bearings get pressed in, they are not seated properly - that is - they are not completely pushed in all the way.

Have you double checked the linkage for any other spots where you may be experiencing this play?
By the way he asked if the pins could wear, I'm betting it's up and down play when you wiggle the seat. Which would most likely be a worn pin (which is way easy to fix).

BTW: IH should include an exploded diagram with the '07 Linkage upgrade kit. Thankfully I found one online, but that thing isn't the most intuitive linkage I've ever seen. (primarily the direction the extended race on the bearings should point, and which length bolts go where).

Works great so far though.

Biscuit

Turbo Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
Pleasant Hill, CA
Anyone who has upgraded to 07 links want to sell me their 06 lower link? i'm looking to upgrade shocks on my 05 but dont have the coin for a shock and the 07 linkage kit at the same time.
What shock are you planning on getting?

The Roco clears the '05 if you remove the compression knob (and file a tiny mohawk on the upper eyelet), and I don't believe Fox is selling aftermarket sunday spec'd DHX's.

Here's a crappy pic to show the mohawk thing. You can see where the upper link was rubbing the eyelet during compression. You can also sorta infer where the lower link would usually hit the compression knob.

pinkshirtphotos

site moron
Jul 5, 2006
Vernon, NJ
i like my sunday but i have to developed play in the linkage. i can lift my seat 3 mm before the frame lifts off the ground. i have found the play is coming out of the lower shock pivot area. what needs to be fixed in order to get rid of the play. im also not upgrading to the 07. btw its an o6 wc. maybe ill get a new linkage in 2009.

MikeL

Chimp
Aug 23, 2006
LI NY
i like my sunday but i have to developed play in the linkage. i can lift my seat 3 mm before the frame lifts off the ground. i have found the play is coming out of the lower shock pivot area. what needs to be fixed in order to get rid of the play. im also not upgrading to the 07. btw its an o6 wc. maybe ill get a new linkage in 2009.
It could be worn shock bushings or bent shock pins.

FYI guys, we are ****SOLD OUT**** of the 2007 Sunday Linkage upgrade kits. Itll be another 90-120 days before I can get more.

-Mike L

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
The heavy duty shock pin axles and reducers look like this:

...but I'm pretty sure Fox call them something else other than "pin axles" (the hollow cylinder that the shock bolt goes through) I believe they are called "T-Fittings" or something to that effect.

DIRTWRKS

Monkey
Aug 13, 2003
Canada EH !
It could be worn shock bushings or bent shock pins.

FYI guys, we are ****SOLD OUT**** of the 2007 Sunday Linkage upgrade kits. Itll be another 90-120 days before I can get more.

-Mike L
Wow , what is it with you guys, first the Sunday frames were next to impossible to get this year as are the warranty parts and now the upgrade linkage kits that so many people need are also out of stock !

Please you need to do a better job of forecasting.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Not a comment to the above but the 07 linkage upgrade is not a must. I run the same bike with the same setup without a problem. If you take good care you the bike and locktite it correctly it can run fine. Also washing the bike as little as possible is one of my best advices over the last three years.

I am not saying the Sunday was perfect for day one but its easy to go online and complain. No bike maintains itself. At the bike shop we have spend good time understanding the bike and this has helped keep the bike in great shape over the last three years.

MikeL

Chimp
Aug 23, 2006
LI NY
Wow , what is it with you guys, first the Sunday frames were next to impossible to get this year as are the warranty parts and now the upgrade linkage kits that so many people need are also out of stock !

Please you need to do a better job of forecasting.
Im not in sales so I wouldn't know what the availability of the frame kits are, but what warranty parts are next to impossible to get? As for the kits being sold, I did not do the ordering, I can tell you that we sold roughly 250 kits though.. Thanks for you input

Have a nice day
-Mike L

mushik

Chimp
May 9, 2007
I want to mount my Rockshox Boxxer WC on a Sunday Elite '06 and I need to know what headset is compatible. As I read (i don't have the frame yet) I should buy IS 2 bearings and 1.5 to 1 1/8 reducers. Can you please recommend me where and what to buy? (a "best solution" and a "cheapest solution" would be apreciated)

Biscuit

Turbo Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
Pleasant Hill, CA
I want to mount my Rockshox Boxxer WC on a Sunday Elite '06 and I need to know what headset is compatible. As I read (i don't have the frame yet) I should buy IS 2 bearings and 1.5 to 1 1/8 reducers. Can you please recommend me where and what to buy? (a "best solution" and a "cheapest solution" would be apreciated)
If you don't already have them, get these cups, and there is a list of headsets that are compatible. (sunday's generally include the e13 cups).

http://www.e13components.com/product_zerostack.html

This is the "only solution" in my mind.

Biscuit

Turbo Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
Pleasant Hill, CA
Im not in sales so I wouldn't know what the availability of the frame kits are, but what warranty parts are next to impossible to get? As for the kits being sold, I did not do the ordering, I can tell you that we sold roughly 250 kits though.. Thanks for you input

Have a nice day
-Mike L
Don't take offense.

Congradulations on having such a popular bike. There are worse problems than selling too many of something.

IVCrider

Chimp
Jun 24, 2006
In Traffic
Hey I am trouble getting my rear shock off. I took off the little screws just like the directions and animation show on both sides but I can't get the pin out. I have tried hammering it( like the directions say) and it just wont budge. BTW I am hammering from the drive side. Any advice?

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
i think bikes should come with all the shock pins and pivot bolts removed, so the owner has to grease them and install them before they can ride. that or more people need to get in the habbit of taking their new bikes apart and greasing/loctiting everything before they take it out on the hill. that way, in 2 months it's not all siezed up.:banghead:

Aussie DH.

Chimp
Jun 30, 2007
I got one of the very first generation model sundays that came into Aus and it had issues with its linkages. The local support was not much help at all.. But, Mike L. and the guys @ Iron Horse have been super helpfull and went out of their way to help me sort it out. I am very impressed with the service that I got from them. I have now brought the 07 linkage kit and bolted it on.. It took less than a week to get my new linkage to Aus. Anyways, It is like a new bike now. The 07 linkage kit is a much smarter design and I would say to anyone with the older models that are having issues to make the upgrade. I'm stoked with mine.

Thanks Iron Horse!!!!

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
No Problem!

Glad to hear that Mike and the boys took care of you!

Been busy the past few weeks, but I'm back on a regular basis now...

As far as play in the lower linkage goes, there could be one of many culprits:

1. Bearings not pressed in properly.
2. Missing washer/shims (with the old-style non-extended race bearings)
3. Worn shock bushings.
4. Loose hardware.
5. One or all of the above.

I plan on doing an overhaul of the main page in such a way that I can squeeze in more information for everyone AND make it easier to navigate... :biggrin:

shagwell

Monkey
Jun 15, 2004
The play in my linkage simply came from the spacers that sit inside the bearings being undersized and consequently wearing. After speaking to the mechanic at the shop I bought the frame from it seems that he has to custom make these spacers as he has found that the sizes of the back ends of the sundays are totally inconsistent. Not very impressive iron horse. I asked the mechanic if I would be able to just make these up myself, but it seems they have to be perfectly sized to prevent them wearing if too small or loading the bearings once everything tightened up if too big. Iron horse had sent him various sizes of spacers but they were not accurate enough to prevent the problem happening again so he uses a lathe to make his own spacers up to the exact dimensions needed.What pisses me off about this is that if I were away riding for any length of time and had this problem again I would have no way of easily sorting it, unfortuanately I dont carry a lathe round with me in the van.

The guys from iron horse on this board seem very helpful but I would really like to know why I'm expected to spend even more money on new linkages to solve a problem that SHOULD NOT be an issue.

stoneyloon

Chimp
May 17, 2007
hi guys, i recently got the 06 sunday (red dw link) and love it. my only problem is i have about 2/3 mm of play in pretty much every direction. i am certain that is the rear of the dw link that is the culprit as i can see it by eye. im guessing that a couple of shims behind the bearings should sort out the lateral play? if so does any one know the sizes i should get? also does anyone have any tips for solving the up and down play?

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
Shag - sorry to hear about the issues you've been having with the rear links. What year is your Sunday? As I recall you said you used to have bottoming issues with your 5th Element shock which would lead me to deduce that you have an 05' Sunday. If this is correct, some of these bikes had issues with linkage play, but those customers who had problems were able to get shim kits from I.H. to solve the problem. Now that the new 07' F7 Link kit is out there - this completely replaces everything and should get you going.

As far as I know this issue is not widespread with the Sunday line, but like I said during the first year of production there were a few snafu's. It's frustrating I know, becuase I've been there with a different manufacturer before I started helping out I.H. with this thread. It sucks when you have to spend time working on your bike instead of riding it.

- you weren't having any problems with play in the linkage for the first 4 months correct?

shagwell

Monkey
Jun 15, 2004
Shag - sorry to hear about the issues you've been having with the rear links. What year is your Sunday? As I recall you said you used to have bottoming issues with your 5th Element shock which would lead me to deduce that you have an 05' Sunday. If this is correct, some of these bikes had issues with linkage play, but those customers who had problems were able to get shim kits from I.H. to solve the problem. Now that the new 07' F7 Link kit is out there - this completely replaces everything and should get you going.

As far as I know this issue is not widespread with the Sunday line, but like I said during the first year of production there were a few snafu's. It's frustrating I know, becuase I've been there with a different manufacturer before I started helping out I.H. with this thread. It sucks when you have to spend time working on your bike instead of riding it.

- you weren't having any problems with play in the linkage for the first 4 months correct?
No mine was an 06. Bought the framekit which came with the 5th. Which eliminates the first year of production excuse. The problem may well not be that widespread as the random spacing of the rear ends means you could get a good one, you could get a bad one.

No play at first with the linkage, but as the shop mechanic said to me if the spacers are only marginally undersized they will wear eventually which is why he makes up his own, as the various sized spacers you guys supplied to him are NOT accurate enough to solve this problem.

Yes I understand that these new linkage kits solve this problem but as I said before I would like to know why I have to spend a lot more money to solve a problem which should not have been there in the first place? I really would appreciate an answer to this..