Quantcast

The Official Iron Horse Sunday / DW-Link Tech. & Tuning Section

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Um, centerlock hubs won't work with 6-bolt rotors BUT rotors are interchangable from brand to brand so you can run Gustavs w/ Shimano rotors if you don't want to trade hubs.

top_dog

Monkey
Jan 27, 2006
Australia
how's your preload? try running minimal preload and backing the propedal out? those settings are almost identical to what I was running (same weight, etc) and had no issues with plushness, so not really sure. what sag are you at? if you're not getting the correct sag (33% or so), try dropping to a lighter weight spring. if you're getting correct sag but still feels harsh, then it sounds like the damping...
My preload is sweet. I'm getting about 40% sag, so I doubt thats the problem. It doesn't feel harsh when you sit on it or bouce around on it or anything like that.

I've had a brainwave though. Currently the bike has no chain on it (waiting for a BB to come in), so I was thinking that when it hits the ground, the energy that would usually spin the cranks, has no where to go, and therefore the bike bounces??? Maybe dw would know. It's sure got me confused.

Thanks

Tom

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
the magura has a 210mm rotor in the front.... so I need an adapter or something...
Magura and Iron Horse are sponsors of Diablo Freeride Park, and most of the guys that work at Diablo also race. They have Sundays set up w/ Magura brake systems, and I'm pretty sure some of them are Gustav's.

Saruti you are looking for an adapter to mount the rear brake caliper to the frame correct?

DSDom is one of the guys from Diablo - I'm pretty sure he has an Imola Yellow Sunday w/ Maguras on it.

Try shooting him a PM to see what his set-up is.

If not, try BTI:

http://www.bti-usa.com/

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Saruti you are looking for an adapter to mount the rear brake caliper to the frame correct?
He is trying to work around the center lock hubs on the Elite and his Magura 6-bolt rotors.

I would just run the Saint brakes that are on the Elite anyhow.

pinkshirtphotos

site moron
Jul 5, 2006
Vernon, NJ
yes the ppl over at diablo do run gustav dom and marc both have them. i also run them on my wc and i know the whole ems team ran them last year. so thats around 12 people rite there. 5 on factory frames.

sbabuser

Turbo Monkey
Dec 22, 2004
Golden, CO
Um, centerlock hubs won't work with 6-bolt rotors BUT rotors are interchangable from brand to brand so you can run Gustavs w/ Shimano rotors if you don't want to trade hubs.
But with the adaptor (DT makes one, not sure who else), you can run normal 6 bolt rotors with centerlock hubs.

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
But with the adaptor (DT makes one, not sure who else), you can run normal 6 bolt rotors with centerlock hubs.
The problem there is that the DT adapters (as well as others) only work with standard center lock and not the OS center lock that Saint uses.

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
top dog:
But basically the small bump feels not so flash compared to my old bike withs its swinger. If I drop the rear end of the bike it bounces up about 2", none of my other bikes have done that even with platform shocks. (which I would have thought to be worse in this situation.) Have I missed something or will it not matter out on the trail?
I was just thinking - have you checked your pivots? It might be possible that some of the pivots are sticking due to an over-torqued fastener, OR you might have a blown bearing somewhere in the linkage.

sbabuser

Turbo Monkey
Dec 22, 2004
Golden, CO
The problem there is that the DT adapters (as well as others) only work with standard center lock and not the OS center lock that Saint uses.
You're right - funny how universalcycles website says more about the adaptors than DT's.
You gotta figure at some point they'll make an adaptor for the Saint sized ones as well. Just like at some point shops will finally have the correct saint splined rotor tool... :skep:

top_dog

Monkey
Jan 27, 2006
Australia
top dog:

I was just thinking - have you checked your pivots? It might be possible that some of the pivots are sticking due to an over-torqued fastener, OR you might have a blown bearing somewhere in the linkage.
Not a bad idea. I might hit it with the torque wrench today. I doubt a bearing is blown, the frame is only two weeks old.

Does the Sunday need chain tension to work properly? Anyone know?

sbabuser

Turbo Monkey
Dec 22, 2004
Golden, CO
I say no, it doesn't. I've done a couple chainless runs on it and couldn't tell by the suspension action if the chain was still there or not.

Snowy

Chimp
Dec 10, 2006
QLD, Australia
Can anyone tell me the Chainline the Sunday (06 Elite to be specific) runs ?

i've had read through the thread but couldn't see anything :huh:

cheers.

Whoops

Turbo Monkey
Jul 9, 2006
New Zealand
Quick request for knowledge...

a friend (no, really) has a IH Sunday ('06) and just emailed saying:

"my bike is making a distinct click or clack in the lower linkage when i grab the rear wheel and give it a tug. there is also some movement in there additional to the regular flex. i think my lower bolt has broken......"

is this likely to be the case?

ska todd

Turbo Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
"my bike is making a distinct click or clack in the lower linkage when i grab the rear wheel and give it a tug. there is also some movement in there additional to the regular flex. i think my lower bolt has broken......"

is this likely to be the case?
It is possible he bent a lower shock bolt. Could also be DU's. Could be a spacer missing if he ever disassembled his linkage. Best to have a shop or mechanic take a look at it.

-ska todd

Whoops

Turbo Monkey
Jul 9, 2006
New Zealand
It is possible he bent a lower shock bolt. Could also be DU's. Could be a spacer missing if he ever disassembled his linkage. Best to have a shop or mechanic take a look at it.

-ska todd
Cheers

yes we'll strip it to look of course - just he's meant to be picking me up in an hour to go for a ride...

top_dog

Monkey
Jan 27, 2006
Australia
I would just like to congratulate dw and the Ironhorse boys for designing a great bike. I love my new one. It handles so well.

Except for one thing. I did 13 runs the other day and my new frame already has slop in the top shock mount. I hope I don't have to replace bushes/bearing etc, every 13 runs or I'm not going to be a very happy chappy.

What is the resaon for this flogging out?

ska todd

Turbo Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
On the 06 Foxes we did see some rapid DU bushing wear. Two things that will help are running the newer steel 3pc Fox shock hardware and a "big bolt". You can get the Fox reducers thru your Fox distributor and a big bolt by emailing Iron Horse.

-ska todd

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Got a few questions regarding the 07 Sunday weights, I did read the thread a few days ago but didn't find what I was after. Maybe one of the IH guys can answer these.

- What's the weight of the 07 WC/Factory frame (they are the same, right?) without shock, but with axle? Preferably without seatclamp or headset reducers.
- The weight of the same frame with a DHX Air would be great too if you have it handy. That's the only reason I asked for the above really.
- Are both the 07 WC and Factory available as framesets, or only the Factory?
- Finally, any comments in regards to running an air shock in the frame? This is for all out DH, and chairlift runs in the region of 3-7 minutes. I would think that the low leverage ratio combined with minimal damping settings would keep the heat level quite reasonable, but the proof is in the pudding. I weigh under 150lbs with gear if that helps.

Hope someone can nail those down.. thanks

ska todd

Turbo Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
- What's the weight of the 07 WC/Factory frame (they are the same, right?) without shock, but with axle? Preferably without seatclamp or headset reducers.
My 19" frame as described weighed in at 9.02lb.

- The weight of the same frame with a DHX Air would be great too if you have it handy. That's the only reason I asked for the above really.
Off the top of my head I can't recall the exact weights. I'm sure it's someplace posted here.

- Are both the 07 WC and Factory available as framesets, or only the Factory?
The World Cup & Elite share the same frame as the Factory.

- Finally, any comments in regards to running an air shock in the frame? This is for all out DH, and chairlift runs in the region of 3-7 minutes. I would think that the low leverage ratio combined with minimal damping settings would keep the heat level quite reasonable, but the proof is in the pudding. I weigh under 150lbs with gear if that helps.
The DHX Air does not dissipate heat as well as the DHX coil. We only recommend it's use for short, smooth courses where weight savings is key for shaving fractions of seconds off runs. The DHX Air has quite a "hammock" feeling at mid stroke and definitely not an optimal feel for the Sunday. I have run the DHX Air on a few occasions and actually found it ok for smooth bike park riding (think A-line, B-line, etc) but once into the consistent rough stuff the damping becomes quite inconsistent. It was most pronounced at Diablo actually because the runs are so rocky and the lifts are so fast. The shock never was able to cool down and actually was hot to the touch.

-ska todd

Demomonkey

Monkey
Apr 27, 2005
Auckland New Zealand

-ska todd

Hi Todd, thanks for response. Im the 'friend' in Whoops' post. The linkage hadnt been disassembled by me but it was purchased 2nd hand off IR and NZ Junior Worlds rider Mike Davis. Im pretty sure it had been disassembled prior to my ownership although I doubt if his mechanic put it back together wrong.

Anyway, Im keen to replace the bearings and bolts with the 07 spec hardware before I hit up Queenstown in a months time for some helibiking and other mischief.

Im a little worried that im not going to be able to get the parts in time. Has IH dispatched some to Flo Cycles your NZ distributor (I've tried phoning them, no response)? If not, could I arrange for some to be sent down (DHL) at the first possible instance?

As you can imagine, im freaking that our long planned DH holiday is going to come to a grinding halt without the parts. I'd very much appreciate your help.

Thanks in advance, Stuart

xemini

Monkey
Nov 4, 2004
Question : im only getting about 15% sag with 5th element on a sunday team, and the settings are tuned to the sundays, should i loosen the spring up to get more sag?

xemini

Monkey
Nov 4, 2004
how should the spring be adjusted is it all the way loose then a few turns in, i think mine is in quite a few turns, its pretty tight