Quantcast

The Official Iron Horse Sunday / DW-Link Tech. & Tuning Section

heikkihall

Monkey
Dec 14, 2001
Durango, CO
Hmmm... I have my own way of doing this, but I think DW knows how to do this properly.:biggrin:

I can say this - you do need to remove the cranks to get at the lower shock mount hardware.

As far as the upper hardware coming loose - this is a common problem with the 05/06 linkage.All you need to do is put some blue Locktite on the threads and torque it down to the proper spec.

Also: for the guy who is 6'1" - I'd say you're almost in between a 17" and a 19"... Personally I'd lean toward a 17" I think Duncan Riffle is about your height and he rides a 17" if I am not mistaken.
If you run a 36t front chainring then you do not need to remove he cranks to get at the lower shock bolt.

I think at 6'1" you can really go either way. I rode on a 19" last year and started out the year on the 19" again. I tried a freinds 17" and really loved it. So when I had the opportunity to get a 17" i jumped on it. As this point of the season I regret that decision a bit. If I were staying on the east coast permanantly I would deffinately stay with the 17" but as an all around bike for next year I think I will be on a 19"

I think Duncan is used to and really likes small bikes and that is why he rides the 17".

Mark W

Chimp
Jan 28, 2004
Canada
Has anyone found any more info on wheather or not IronHorse is actually going to sell the '07 linkage as a kit? I know dw mentioned it earlier in here, but wasn't entirely sure if IH was going to offer it. IronHorse has answered none of the five e-mails I've sent this season, the last two of which were about the linkage, so I was hoping someone here could shed some more light?

derry

Chimp
May 27, 2006
i have only just built my new sunday, it is the best bike i have ever ridden,i asked tim flooks (TFTunedshox) how to set up the fox dhx on the sunday and all you do is turn every thing off exceot the rebound wich you set to your personnal preference, and this works like nothing else i have ever ridden,
The sunday is easily the fastest bike on the planet.......

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
Has anyone found any more info on wheather or not IronHorse is actually going to sell the '07 linkage as a kit? I know dw mentioned it earlier in here, but wasn't entirely sure if IH was going to offer it. IronHorse has answered none of the five e-mails I've sent this season, the last two of which were about the linkage, so I was hoping someone here could shed some more light?
As far as I know from talking with some of the guys that work at I.H. there will be a linkage kit sold to the public as an upgrade for all 05' and 06' I.H. Sundays. Last I heard they were working out a pricing structure.

Dante would know more about this than I would - I'll shoot him a PM to see what the deal is.

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
What is the difference between the linkage on the 05/06 and 07?
What you are referring to here are 3 different iterations of linkages, so I'll try to clear things up as best I can.

In the first year of production - 05' the linkage was made primarily around the Progressive 5th Element shock. A DHX will not clear the lower link with this version of the linkage.

In 06' the linkage was updated and the lower link was redsigned to accomodate a Fox DHX. This linkage is easy to spot because it is anodized red. This linkage will allow you to run almost everything except a Manitou Revox.

The 07' upper linkage has a different cross-sectional profile, but the overall shape is exactly the same as the 06'. The main difference between the 06' and 07' is the size/type of hardware used.

For more info on the 07' linkage and everything else go to the first page - everything you need is listed there.

Hope this helps.

PAMS 25

Monkey
Feb 11, 2004
Métabief, France
Does anybody know what colors does the '07 factory frame come in ? And will it comes with a rear hub, reducers cups, BB, seatpost... as the last few years ? Thanks.

wil_e123

Monkey
Jun 7, 2006
London, England
is the pro pedal on the dhx of any use on the sunday? 'cos there's a good deal on a dhx 4 on ebay with ti spring, and the only thing that the dhx 4 lacks compared to the 5 is propedal (?)
cheers, Will

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Its not necessary but remember that the DHX will need to be tuned for the Sunday so you could also get the propedal tuned at the same time.

wil_e123

Monkey
Jun 7, 2006
London, England
that's the thing, if the propedal (tuned or not) is not essential for the efficient functionning of the Sunday, i will turn my choice to the dhx4. If there is a clearly noticeable difference between a tuned up dhx 4 and tuned up dhx5+propedal tune (what is the difference exactly?), then i will no doubt opt for the dhx5+tune+propedal'tune'...please enlighten me!

cheers Will

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
is the pro pedal on the dhx of any use on the sunday? 'cos there's a good deal on a dhx 4 on ebay with ti spring, and the only thing that the dhx 4 lacks compared to the 5 is propedal (?)
cheers, Will
No, the 4 lacks bottom out. It's got boost valve, rebound, propedal, and of course preload.

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
how do you adjust the boost valve is this the same as bottom out adjustment?
Whoops - I think Dave(dw) and I may have contributed to some of the confusion between the terms "Boost Valve" and "Bottom Out"... On the first page in some of the tech. discussions, we were using the term "Boost Valve" incorrectly - what we meant was the "Bottom Out"...:redface:

I have gone back and corrected these errors, so now things will read the way they should.

As was said before: (On a Fox DHX) the Air Valve is used to adjust pressure in the air chamber which in turn adjusts the behavior of the Boost Valve:

From the FoxRacingShox DHX Manual: "The Boost Valve creates a position-sensitive damping scheme that allows for a seamless transition from efficient ProPedal to square-bump absorption to a bottomless end-of-stroke feel. The Boost Valve decouples the ProPedal & Bottom Out adjustments, enabling ProPedal platform adjustment to be made seperately from the Bottom Out adjustment."

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
Class Act Paint and Powder of Portland Oregon does NOT have a website YET...

I spoke with LeeAnn about a month ago, and she said they are currently looking for a good web designer to get a site up and running soon.

In the meantime, the best way to get in touch with them would be through either Dante or SkaTodd here at Ridemonkey, for all your Sunday painting needs.

If you get it done @ Class Act, it's still under warranty if I'm not mistaken...

menachite

Monkey
Apr 18, 2002
The All American Valley
With this thread being in the Downhill section I feel funny asking...but here we go anyway...

What are the torque specs for the MKIII? Any setup tips for that ride? I've got a Swinger SRL on the bike now and run mostly about 1/3 stroke worth of sag and very little rebound damping.

Any suggestions on a better valved shock for the MKIII?

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
Instead of having a thread that is essentially an FAQ for the Sunday, wouldn't it be better if Iron Horse housed all this information on their website? Santa Cruz has this down pat....perhaps a benchmark for IH?

But then again, what would we all talk about in the DH forum?

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
Instead of having a thread that is essentially an FAQ for the Sunday, wouldn't it be better if Iron Horse housed all this information on their website? Santa Cruz has this down pat....perhaps a benchmark for IH?
I.H. is currently in the process of updating their site, so my "archive" is here to help them out until they finally get that up and running.

In the future, this thread will always be here to cover whatever info that requires more direct input from guys like dw, and the rest of the I.H. crew.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Question: If I want to run a DHX Air on a Sunday, do I need to send it in to be Sunday-tuned, or will it work stock?

FastTimes

Monkey
Jul 2, 2002
Toronto
If someone wants to purchase a spare/replacement shock. Can you buy an already tuned DHX from IH or do we need to buy one and send it to Fox to be tuned? Outside of the US this can be a real pain as distributors often do not have the expertise that Fox home office does.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Also, another dumb question: are the graphics on the 07 frames removable stickers, or under a layer or clearcoat?

brontes

Chimp
Nov 21, 2006
Hi there.

I have a question. Let's see if somebody can help me.
Well, I have a 06 Sunday Team, and the official dealer (Spain), who works well with Answer distributor, sent me a prototype revox shock (I've asked for a Fox one, but it's not possible), so I could change the 5th element. As I've seen in this forum, the revox doesn't fit the Sunday frame.
Now, I only have the possibility of the Swinger shocks. I've told the dealer that the Swinger needs a "Sunday tune" adjustment. Which one is better in this case, the 4 way or the 6 way? And the dealer needs the details ot the Sunday tune adjustment for the swinger, so he can explain to Answer Spain crew.

The other option is to buy a stock Fox DHX and send to the official service or TFtuned to tune it, but I've to pay all, and the Manitou option is zero costs for me.

Excuse my bad english please.
LOTS OF THANKS!!

Attachments

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
O.K. guys - these are some really good questions - I just sent a PM to one of the IH guys here at RM. Hopefully he or dw will have some answers for you all soon.

Cave Dweller

Monkey
May 6, 2003
On the new WC it lists dt swiss ex1750.

My understanding was these are dt swiss 5.1 rims and hugi 240 hubs.

Did iron horse get a special version built up with hugi 440 hubs? I can't see 240's holding up for DH, and they don't come in 150mm spacing either.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
Question: If I want to run a DHX Air on a Sunday, do I need to send it in to be Sunday-tuned, or will it work stock?
as with any of the shocks, it will run much better if it is tuned correctly for the Sunday. The Roco and DHX have less LSC than the stock Swingers and 5ths, but still are overdamped.

fasttimes said:
If someone wants to purchase a spare/replacement shock. Can you buy an already tuned DHX from IH or do we need to buy one and send it to Fox to be tuned? Outside of the US this can be a real pain as distributors often do not have the expertise that Fox home office does.
Unfortunately, we don't have DHXs for sale. However, you should be able to have anyone who is qualified to open it/rebuild it tune it correctly. They would have to contact Fox for the specifics, but it reduces the compression and rebound damping. (for example Mojo, etc)

brontes said:
Well, I have a 06 Sunday Team, and the official dealer (Spain), who works well with Answer distributor, sent me a prototype revox shock (I've asked for a Fox one, but it's not possible), so I could change the 5th element. As I've seen in this forum, the revox doesn't fit the Sunday frame.
Now, I only have the possibility of the Swinger shocks. I've told the dealer that the Swinger needs a "Sunday tune" adjustment. Which one is better in this case, the 4 way or the 6 way? And the dealer needs the details ot the Sunday tune adjustment for the swinger, so he can explain to Answer Spain crew.
unfortunately, there is no way we can possibly make the revox fit the Sunday. we were able to change the lower link to have it clear the DHX, but we can't make the revox fit and actually maintain structural integrity of the link. (side note, props to Marz for putting out a product that was shaped like others on the market so little/no changes to the frame are necessary)

As for the 4-way or 6-way, see if they are the old-style (shaped like the 5th) and not the new 90deg revox-shaped shocks. the old style will fit, and ask Manitou corporate about a Sunday tune. they're doing some cool new stuff (not sure if I should get into it, send me a PM if you're interested) but regardless they'd know how to tune it. tuned correctly they feel very good, almost on par with Fox.

seanmankiw said:
just realized that the 06 factorys were all 337 copies

imola yellow
jazz blue
black magic pearl

so whos the vw fan at iron horse
ska todd used to have a jazz blue 20th gti.

Cave Dweller said:
On the new WC it lists dt swiss ex1750.

My understanding was these are dt swiss 5.1 rims and hugi 240 hubs.

Did iron horse get a special version built up with hugi 440 hubs? I can't see 240's holding up for DH, and they don't come in 150mm spacing either.
not sure.I believe that the front is a 240 hub, and the rear (at least the 150mm version) is something different. not positive but i think that it's the 340 or 440.

:cheers:

pinkshirtphotos

site moron
Jul 5, 2006
Vernon, NJ
todd you just made my day GTI next to a matching sunday is there any way that i can get my wc painted in galactic blue to match my jetta :D iron horse should replace trek for the vw team. then continue the colors , mab even put a sunday team or a azure team on the new gti/gli instead of guitars. oh im gona have a good dream tonight.