Quantcast

The Official Iron Horse Sunday / DW-Link Tech. & Tuning Section

brontes

Chimp
Nov 21, 2006
unfortunately, there is no way we can possibly make the revox fit the Sunday. we were able to change the lower link to have it clear the DHX, but we can't make the revox fit and actually maintain structural integrity of the link. (side note, props to Marz for putting out a product that was shaped like others on the market so little/no changes to the frame are necessary)

As for the 4-way or 6-way, see if they are the old-style (shaped like the 5th) and not the new 90deg revox-shaped shocks. the old style will fit, and ask Manitou corporate about a Sunday tune. they're doing some cool new stuff (not sure if I should get into it, send me a PM if you're interested) but regardless they'd know how to tune it. tuned correctly they feel very good, almost on par with Fox.
Thanks Dante. I'm waiting for the dealer response. I hope in a few days I could post some good news from Manitou service.

See you!

shagwell

Monkey
Jun 15, 2004
a torque wrench.

this thread is the best.. what other bike could you buy and have the kind of in depth information available that being able to ask the guys who designed/built/sell them gives you?

i'm not gonna kiss anyones arse here but ive had my sunday for about 4 months now and i'm really happy with it, its not that its far and away the best bike ever it just gets the job its supposed to do done well and with minimum fuss. i like the geometry, its seems like the frame can take some **** and so far ive had absolutely no reliabilty problems - so i'm happy.

and now i wanna take advantage of being able to ask these guys a few questions:-

i've been playing around with set-up for a while and i'm pretty happy with where i'm at but it'd be interesting to hear the sort of settings people like hill are running (and also their weight, just to compare).. like what spring rate, how he likes his rebound,compression etc. ive been running a 5th with a 275 spring most of the time which feels pretty good, but maybe a little dead feeling at slower speeds fooking ace on the fast stuff though. i suppose thats a 5th for you, ive also been running a vanilla rc (i'm not really a fan of platform shocks) with a 300 spring, which feels real good on the steep, muddy, slimy, rooty tracks that i ride alot. it just seems to bottom out too easily even though ive had it shimmed to ramp up, i'm gonna try a 350 spring over the winter for a while on it, but any advice would be appreciated - as i understand it the dw link isnt really progressive, unlike the fsr recoil i was using the fox on previously, where i very rarely bottomed out hard. so is the rc suitable for a sunday, and what spring rate would be ideal?

also gearing.. what sort of setups are being run by the team, i`m on a 36t ring at the front with a 36t e-13 bash guard and i get a lot of grounding out on rocks on our trails which can be pretty gnarly with no smooth line through, i was thinking of trying the 32t street bash guard but i think a 32t ring would be too small on faster sections, would a 34t ring work with the 32t bashguard? (on my 36t bash theres quite a lot of overlap)

fork settings on the boxxer world cups to match up with the rear?

be interesting to hear anyone elses little sunday mods or setup tips also..

i run my gear cable up and over the seat stays as running it along the chain stay was pissing me off with the chain slapping against the cable on rough sections (i like my bikes silent).

..stuff like that.

cheers

si..

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
Shagwell
i've been playing around with set-up for a while and i'm pretty happy with where i'm at but it'd be interesting to hear the sort of settings people like hill are running (and also their weight, just to compare).. like what spring rate, how he likes his rebound,compression etc. ive been running a 5th with a 275 spring most of the time which feels pretty good, but maybe a little dead feeling at slower speeds fooking ace on the fast stuff though. i suppose thats a 5th for you, ive also been running a vanilla rc (i'm not really a fan of platform shocks) with a 300 spring, which feels real good on the steep, muddy, slimy, rooty tracks that i ride alot. it just seems to bottom out too easily even though ive had it shimmed to ramp up, i'm gonna try a 350 spring over the winter for a while on it, but any advice would be appreciated - as i understand it the dw link isnt really progressive, unlike the fsr recoil i was using the fox on previously, where i very rarely bottomed out hard. so is the rc suitable for a sunday, and what spring rate would be ideal?
As far as I know, Hill is about 160 lbs. and used to run a 300# spring on his 5th Element. (I don't know what he's running on his DHX right now) He likes the feel to be really supple and smooth. The RC should be fine for a Sunday, but you would need the "Sunday Tune" for it to work effectively with the DW-Link... FoxRacingShox or Darren Murphy at PUSH Industries should be able to do this for you. You mention that you aren't crazy about the RC because you don't like Platform Shocks... As far as I know the Vanilla RC's didn't have a platform (this is called ProPedal in the realm of Fox).

also gearing.. what sort of setups are being run by the team, i`m on a 36t ring at the front with a 36t e-13 bash guard and i get a lot of grounding out on rocks on our trails which can be pretty gnarly with no smooth line through, i was thinking of trying the 32t street bash guard but i think a 32t ring would be too small on faster sections, would a 34t ring work with the 32t bashguard? (on my 36t bash theres quite a lot of overlap)
I.H. Factory riders were running the 36T Bash Ring/Chain Ring set-up for a lot of the races in 06'. This combo worked so effectively, that I.H. has spec'd all of the 07' Sundays with a 36T Bash and front Chain Ring. You could be having issues with ground clearance due to bottoming issues w/ the suspension like you mentioned previously. I'm pretty sure that a 34T chainring w/ a 32T bash ring will not work. The over-lap that you see is there for the upper guide plate to butt up against and keep a tight fit so the chain doesn't get bucked off of the chain ring.

fork settings on the boxxer world cups to match up with the rear?
Udi, Vitox, or Acadian are the Jedi Masters of Boxxer tuning and set-up. Shoot them a PM, and I'm sure they could offer volumes of advice and tips.

be interesting to hear anyone elses little sunday mods or setup tips also..
i run my gear cable up and over the seat stays as running it along the chain stay was pissing me off with the chain slapping against the cable on rough sections (i like my bikes silent).

cheers

si..
It's understandable that you were getting annoyed with chain-slap against the shifter cable on the chainstay, but running it on the seatstay is not advisable - this will adversely effect your shifting performance. Chain-slap happens a lot on these bikes and there are 2 solutions to this problem:

1. Old Skool Ghetto Fix: The mechanics for the Factory Team used to take the fuzzy side of adhesive velcro (bought in 1" wide rolls) and wrap the chainstay & cable with it, - adhesive side stuck to the chainstay, with the fuzzy side facing out. Then they would wrap that with the center strip cut from an old inner tube and zip tie it. Works like a charm.

2. T.H.E. Iron Horse Sunday Chainstay Protector: For 07' T.H.E. (Toby Henderson Enterprises) is making a chainstay protector just for the I.H. Sunday. All of the 07' models come with one now, so you don't have to do the ghetto fix anymore. You should be able to get one from a T.H.E. distributor soon, but if not - try dropping the guys at I.H. a line (Dante, SkaTodd) and they should be able to hook you up with one directly from Iron Horse.

Hope this helps.

shagwell

Monkey
Jun 15, 2004
cheers for the speedy reply mate.. this is exactly what i was talking about.

just to clarify i was using the fox because i'm not a fan of platform shocks, i wasn't actually describing the rc as a platform shock..my bad. i have had the dw tune by tftuned in the uk, as i said the performance of the shock is great on the small stuff its just the big hits that seem to make it shoot through its travel, i'll try a 350 and see how that works, though i'd be interested to hear what mr weagle has to say about the rc's compatability with the sunday.

i'll look into the the chainstay protectors, but i haven't really had any shifting issues running it on the seatstay as yet, and as i run a shimano mech (sick and tired of destroying sram) i can get a smoother cable run to the rear mech along the seatstay.

shagwell

Monkey
Jun 15, 2004
Shagwell

You could be having issues with ground clearance due to bottoming issues w/ the suspension like you mentioned previously.
i only get the problems with excessive bottoming running the fox, the 5th runs fine. the clearance issues ive got arent so much when the bike is bottoming out over big rock sections or anything (although i do get this on one particuler section of local track which is pretty much a step down into a landing pretty much full of rocks) but more slower speed sections where you're rolling over and off big rock slabs and the bash sort of skids over the knuckle of the rock slab.. i know this is down to the geometry which i wouldnt want to change but it would be nice to have more clearance which is why i was wondering about running the 32t bash setup.

MouseMonkey

Monkey
Jul 29, 2006
Salt Lake City
Shag- If you want more clearance, the FSA 32/34t polycarb bash guard is big enough to keep the chain on when you use a 34t. PM me and I can send you a used one for a couple of bucks and shipping. Give er a try.

JMH

nugget

Monkey
Jul 4, 2006
somewhere near a town
Does anyone know if the team did any mods to the DHX or Boxxers? Eg, Shim change?

Does anyone here use a 40 on their sundays?
What kinda of setting do you use, mines does not want to become balanced, they seem to work against each other.. :( help help

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
Does anyone know if the team did any mods to the DHX or Boxxers? Eg, Shim change?

Does anyone here use a 40 on their sundays?
What kinda of setting do you use, mines does not want to become balanced, they seem to work against each other.. :( help help
Well... as far as giving you an answer to how the Factory bikes have their suspension tuned, I can't really... I was privvy to some info about this during the summer, but I'm positive that this info is not meant to be public knowledge.

I think there is one guy on here who rides a black Sunday w/ a 40 on it. The key to getting the fork and shock to work together is to make sure the compression characteristics are the same, although compensated (you can't directly translate 4 clicks of compression on your fork to 4 clicks of compression on your shock). After you have the proper compression settings for the fron and rear, start working on the rebound. It's not going to kill you if the rebound on the fork is too fast, but if the rebound is too fast on the rear shock, it could send you over the bars.

I seem to luck out in that I can do it by "feel"... whether this means doing a bounce test on flat ground or taking a few shuttle runs, eventually, if you understand how compression and rebound work, you should be able to dial in everything properly.

Unfortunately I'm not a Fox 40 guy - I'm a Marzocchi 888 guy, but if you do a search, there should be some useful info on Fox 40 tuning.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Well... as far as giving you an answer to how the Factory bikes have their suspension tuned, I can't really... I was privvy to some info about this during the summer, but I'm positive that this info is not meant to be public knowledge.

I think there is one guy on here who rides a black Sunday w/ a 40 on it. The key to getting the fork and shock to work together is to make sure the compression characteristics are the same, although compensated (obivously you can't directly translate 4 click of compression on your fork to 4 clicks of compression on your shock).

I seem to luck out in that I can do it by "feel"... whether this means doing a bounce test on flat ground or taking a few shuttle runs, eventually, if you understand how compression and rebound work, you should be able to dial everything properly.

Unfortunately I'm not a Fox 40 guy - I'm a Marzocchi 888 guy, but if you do a search, there should be some useful info on Fox 40 tuning.
Just curious, why would you not be allowed to release a bit of factory bike setup info? I mean it's not like anyone's gonna knock Sam Hill from the top with new suspension settings, and if there's anything custom in there us mortals won't be able to craft it from the skulls of the infidels like Hill (or whoever) could either.

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
Just curious, why would you not be allowed to release a bit of factory bike setup info? I mean it's not like anyone's gonna knock Sam Hill from the top with new suspension settings, and if there's anything custom in there us mortals won't be able to craft it from the skulls of the infidels like Hill (or whoever) could either.
Hey I understand - I don't mean to be "CIA/covert" with my response. I heard some things through the grapevine about suspension development - some really cool new things being tried. I was also told to keep a lid on it. I'll put it this way: If someone were to get into detail about how Sam has his suspension set up (I wouldn't know this to begin with anyway - just a few key things here and there), certain people could read it, and extrapolate that info into what is actually going on inside the suspension.

In general I can say that from what I have heard, Sam likes his suspension supple and smooth - not stiff and hard the way Rennie likes to run his V-10 for example...

nugget

Monkey
Jul 4, 2006
somewhere near a town

I think there is one guy on here who rides a black Sunday w/ a 40 on it. The key to getting the fork and shock to work together is to make sure the compression characteristics are the same, although compensated (you can't directly translate 4 clicks of compression on your fork to 4 clicks of compression on your shock). After you have the proper compression settings for the fron and rear, start working on the rebound. It's not going to kill you if the rebound on the fork is too fast, but if the rebound is too fast on the rear shock, it could send you over the bars.

I seem to luck out in that I can do it by "feel"... whether this means doing a bounce test on flat ground or taking a few shuttle runs, eventually, if you understand how compression and rebound work, you should be able to dial in everything properly.

That feel you get, do you adj the High speeed or Low speed Com on the fork?

& for the DHX, the compression is controled by the air pressure am i right?

nugget

Monkey
Jul 4, 2006
somewhere near a town
Hey I understand - I don't mean to be "CIA/covert" with my response. I heard some things through the grapevine about suspension development - some really cool new things being tried. I was also told to keep a lid on it. I'll put it this way: If someone were to get into detail about how Sam has his suspension set up (I wouldn't know this to begin with anyway - just a few key things here and there), certain people could read it, and extrapolate that info into what is actually going on inside the suspension.

In general I can say that from what I have heard, Sam likes his suspension supple and smooth - not stiff and hard the way Rennie likes to run his V-10 for example...

Cool, Sam likes it soft dan, I asked cuz when you see him riding rocky sections, the bike is in so much control and level, while when seeing our (me & friends) our bikes are like the pirate ship you see at carvinals.

Another thing, how do you use the controls to make the shock smooth?

Sorry, Totally new to the sunday and my first non Single pivot bike. :happydance:
I'm love every bit of it, just wondering if i can get more out of it.

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
If you want to know how to dial in your shock, go to the first page of this thread - I have a permanent list of information there that I continually update.

top_dog

Monkey
Jan 27, 2006
Australia
Sunday's have an ISCG-05 mount don't they? I was trying to confirm this before I bought a new e-13 but couldn't find the information anywhere on the net.

pinkshirtphotos

site moron
Jul 5, 2006
Vernon, NJ
is there a way to run profile cranks on a sunday or are the bb sizes wrong, because from the looks of profiles site you cant but mab im just reading wrong.

ska todd

Turbo Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
I've seen people do it. They must make a spindle long enough. Just need that & the right spacer for between the BB cups. Call Profile up and ask them for some help.

-ska todd

Fool

The Thing cannot be described
Sep 10, 2001
Brooklyn
They do. It's the 6 7/8" spindle. I ran one in a Chumba which has an 83mm BB shell.

Any word on 07 linkage kits or am I just being impatient?

top_dog

Monkey
Jan 27, 2006
Australia
G'day lads,

I got my Sunday the other day, trying to suss the shock out now. It's an 06 with a DHX 5. I assume its a Sunday tune. The guy I bought it off said its the shock that came with the bike. Is there a way to tell?

Never had a non-SPV shock before so its taking a bit of getting used to. At the moment I've got it set up pretty close to dw's settings as described earlier in this thread. I'm running a 300lb spring, 4 clicks of pro pedal, bottom out all the way in, and air pressure at 75psi. Oh I weigh 167lbs and will be using it for DH racing.

But basically the small bump feels not so flash compared to my old bike withs its swinger. If I drop the rear end of the bike it bounces up about 2", none of my other bikes have done that even with platform shocks. (which I would have thought to be worse in this situation.) Have I missed something or will it not matter out on the trail?

I was thinking it may need a bit of wearing in. (The bearing and bushings etc, as its only 2 weeks old), and there is some stiction in the system, but the suspension moves slightly when I rest my hand on the seat, so it doesn't seem to need too great of an input to get moving, so i'm not sure.

Any ideas???

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
how's your preload? try running minimal preload and backing the propedal out? those settings are almost identical to what I was running (same weight, etc) and had no issues with plushness, so not really sure. what sag are you at? if you're not getting the correct sag (33% or so), try dropping to a lighter weight spring. if you're getting correct sag but still feels harsh, then it sounds like the damping...

tne

Chimp
Feb 14, 2002
Is it possible to get a 06 stickers kit ? Are they available ?
I'm about to repaint my frame..

wil_e123

Monkey
Jun 7, 2006
London, England
would it be possible to install a dhx5 coil with remote reservoir (like the one on turners) onto the sunday (2006 sunday team)? (i suppose that the tunability of the remote one does change, does it?)

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
would it be possible to install a dhx5 coil with remote reservoir (like the one on turners) onto the sunday (2006 sunday team)? (i suppose that the tunability of the remote one does change, does it?)
It is possible, but the regular DHX will do the job fine. Plus, you can get a regular DHX that is tuned for the dw-link from FOX, whereas you would have to send the remote resi shock in to fox to be tuned.

Dave

.thumper.

Chimp
Dec 17, 2005
My race team just reserved six Sunday World Cups for the next racing season and they were told by the person (I don't know their name) at IH that the factory frameset was exactly the same as the world cup frames. Is that correct? Has something changed? The reason I'm asking is because I was interested in getting one of the factory frames for 2007. Can anyone confirm or deny this for me? Thanks.

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
My race team just reserved six Sunday World Cups for the next racing season and they were told by the person (I don't know their name) at IH that the factory frameset was exactly the same as the world cup frames. Is that correct? Has something changed? The reason I'm asking is because I was interested in getting one of the factory frames for 2007. Can anyone confirm or deny this for me? Thanks.
The complete World Cup and Elite bikes use the US made Factory frames.

saruti

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
Israel
I have agood price for the 06 elite sunday. so I plan on buying it :biggrin:
but I want to put on it my magura gustav.
can it be done? :brow:
the elite come with a centerlock hubs....
can I put my gustav rotors on this hubs?

xemini

Monkey
Nov 4, 2004
hey i got a 5th element on my sunday now, im thinking i wanna try out the fox dhx, do i need the tune for this shock or can it be setup without?

pinkshirtphotos

site moron
Jul 5, 2006
Vernon, NJ
I have agood price for the 06 elite sunday. so I plan on buying it :biggrin:
but I want to put on it my magura gustav.
can it be done? :brow:
the elite come with a centerlock hubs....
can I put my gustav rotors on this hubs?
i have gustav on my sunday wc and it has dt 440 hubs