Quantcast

The Official Iron Horse Sunday / DW-Link Tech. & Tuning Section

Whoops

Turbo Monkey
Jul 9, 2006
New Zealand
Can anyone at IH let me know the DU bushing part nos? We might have to get some replacements locally and some stuff machined here so he can race in Jan....demomonkey's starting to sweat a little as he's been told that;

07 hardware will not fit in 05/06 frames

IH have redesigned the 05/06 hardware and improved versions have been produced.

IH have SOLD OUT of the improved 05/06 hardware and expect their nex order to be filled in 30 days.

Can any RM's tell me if this is true?

thanks

Whoops

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
I do not know specifics about the sunday other than there seem to be more than enough hardware problems to go around.

But, the bushings for either the fifth of fox are the same. I have a couple different kinds sitting around. One is a solid (non split) tube of a polymer material...mayge glas reinforced nylon...the other is traditional split steel (or something similar) with a rust red urethane/teflon film on the inner surface.

They are 12.5 mm long, 15mm O.D., and 12.8 mm I.D. by my calipers. Although I think they are actually imperial measures making them....0.50" long, 0.50" ID, and 0.60" O.D.

The metal bushing is a Garlock peice and the # is 08DP08 D5A
No idea what the 'plastic' one is. Hope that helped.

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
Can anyone at IH let me know the DU bushing part nos? We might have to get some replacements locally and some stuff machined here so he can race in Jan....demomonkey's starting to sweat a little as he's been told that;

07 hardware will not fit in 05/06 frames

IH have redesigned the 05/06 hardware and improved versions have been produced.

IH have SOLD OUT of the improved 05/06 hardware and expect their nex order to be filled in 30 days.

Can any RM's tell me if this is true?

thanks

Whoops
Whoops - whoever told you this is incorrect. If you check out the first page Dave Weagle (Dave, dw) who is the engineer that designed the DW-Link and the new 07' hardware has said that the 07 linkage WILL retrofit to all year Sundays.

The first page isn't just random bits of info you have to hunt through to find things - I have lists set up in 2 massive posts to make it easier to access info.

Whoops

Turbo Monkey
Jul 9, 2006
New Zealand
ok - thanks SKC.

I'll pass it on to my mate - he'll be quite relieved to hear that...

If this is the case, apparently the importer doesn't have a clue. Anyone know a source in the US where we could order something from and have it UPS'd to NZ?

Demomonkey

Monkey
Apr 27, 2005
Auckland New Zealand
Whoops - whoever told you this is incorrect. If you check out the first page Dave Weagle (Dave, dw) who is the engineer that designed the DW-Link and the new 07' hardware has said that the 07 linkage WILL retrofit to all year Sundays.

The first page isn't just random bits of info you have to hunt through to find things - I have lists set up in 2 massive posts to make it easier to access info.
Hi Todd, I think there is a mis-communication somewhere in here. The NZ Distributor advised me that the 07 hardware (bolts/bushings etc) will not work without upgrading the upper and lower linkages, but that there is redesigned hardware for the 05/06 model years that does not require an upgrade of the linkages. Im currently going for option 2 due to the lesser expense.

kieram

Chimp
Sep 13, 2006
my 07 sunday team arrived today and i went to set up what i thought was supposed to be a DHX5(stated in the catalogue) and its only a DHX3 so all i could do was set put some air in it.
apart from that everything is pretty sweet.

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
Hi Todd, I think there is a mis-communication somewhere in here. The NZ Distributor advised me that the 07 hardware (bolts/bushings etc) will not work without upgrading the upper and lower linkages, but that there is redesigned hardware for the 05/06 model years that does not require an upgrade of the linkages. Im currently going for option 2 due to the lesser expense.
Heh - Demo, this isn't Todd... I have only met him once or twice, and can skank to "Less Than Jake" just as effectively, but I am not he. :D

You seek the one known as SkaTodd...

O.K. - I think I misunderstood you - what you are saying is that you are trying to use the 07' hardware with the 05/06 links? Is this correct? If that's the case, then yes, - you cannot use the 2 together. The new linkage was designed around the new 10mm hardware, so the NZ distrib. is correct.

Going with the 05/06 linkage should be the way to go like you said - don't forget the easy way to tell if you have the upgraded links that will fit a DHX is that they are anodized RED.

As far as the dish on the rear wheel of a Sunday, I'm pretty sure it is a regular dish - not zero like on a Spesh. Demo 8 say... Dante or Todd could jump in on this and add to it if they want...

Hope this helps.

nugget

Monkey
Jul 4, 2006
somewhere near a town
Does anyone know how to tighten the 07 lower links?
The part that connects to the main frame.. there the 4mm screws and the hex head thingy..

which do i tighten first to how much torque?

ska todd

Turbo Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
Does anyone know how to tighten the 07 lower links?
The part that connects to the main frame.. there the 4mm screws and the hex head thingy..

which do i tighten first to how much torque?
Tighten the pivot caps first (the jumbo hex). Then tighten the shock bolts. Torque specs should be listed right on the 07 frames :thumb:

For reference, here they are again:
Shock pivots 13N*M
Front CS pivot 26N*M
Rear CS pivot13N*M
Front SS pivot13N*M
Rear SS pivot26N*M

-ska todd

teaguers

Chimp
Jul 21, 2005
Bellingham, WA
my 07 sunday team arrived today and i went to set up what i thought was supposed to be a DHX5(stated in the catalogue) and its only a DHX3 so all i could do was set put some air in it.
apart from that everything is pretty sweet.
It says its supposed to be a DHX 5 in the catalogue. I would raise hell if i were you :)

Teague!

ska todd

Turbo Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
It says its supposed to be a DHX 5 in the catalogue. I would raise hell if i were you :)
It's a typo caught post production of catalog...as it reads on the back of the catalog "Specifications subject to change. Not responsible for typographical errors."

-ska todd

pinkshirtphotos

site moron
Jul 5, 2006
Vernon, NJ
why 3 u should be going for a dhx 4 on the team or is the team the lowers and the eliet in the middle. if so that would make sence to give the team the lowest shock.

teaguers

Chimp
Jul 21, 2005
Bellingham, WA
If you look closely in the picture you can tell that its not a DHX 5, so i guess it was obviously a typo. Oh well, i have a '06 Sunday Elite arriving on my doorstep on friday :). Just hope the small parts box is intact this time.

Teague!

Demomonkey

Monkey
Apr 27, 2005
Auckland New Zealand
Heh - Demo, this isn't Todd... I have only met him once or twice, and can skank to "Less Than Jake" just as effectively, but I am not he. :D

You seek the one known as SkaTodd...

O.K. - I think I misunderstood you - what you are saying is that you are trying to use the 07' hardware with the 05/06 links? Is this correct? If that's the case, then yes, - you cannot use the 2 together. The new linkage was designed around the new 10mm hardware, so the NZ distrib. is correct.

Going with the 05/06 linkage should be the way to go like you said - don't forget the easy way to tell if you have the upgraded links that will fit a DHX is that they are anodized RED.

As far as the dish on the rear wheel of a Sunday, I'm pretty sure it is a regular dish - not zero like on a Spesh. Demo 8 say... Dante or Todd could jump in on this and add to it if they want...

Hope this helps.
SKC, thanks for that. Im not sure where I got Todd from...stoneover probably.

My problem has been fixed by good mechanic Dr J Timmer of Calibre Cycles. All bearings have been replaced and the lower linkage bolts have been replaced. Evidently the stockers were too long, thus they would run out of thread before fully tightening up. The good Dr reports its running "tight and smooth" which i guess is reason enough for a comment regarding how I like my bikes I like my females, but im just not that smutty :brows:

Thanks all and Merry Xmas. Peace, Love and Happy Trails.

saruti

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
Israel
it looks like all the Sunday's except the pink have a dhx 5
is that true? Because ska todd say that the team have a dhx 3..... And because of that I've canceled my purchase

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
the catalog has a misprint on the Sunday Team, it comes with a DHX3.0 instead of a 5.0. All other rear shocks specs are correct in the catalog.

World Cup - DHX5.0
Elite - DHX5.0
Team - DHX3.0
Expert - VanR

sorry to hear that you've canceled your order over the ability to adjust the bottom out on the rear shock. :(

D

demo008

i weigh 115 pounds and i was wonder what size spring rate do I need? Also what do the stock sunday factory frames come with?

Waddic

Chimp
Jun 17, 2006
Hi there.

I just brought a dhx 5.0 shock for my sunday.

I was wondereing if anyone on here can tell me how i can tune it to work best for me? I dont really want to fiddle with the bottom out as i have to take the shock right out so i want to take it out once. I am running a 300 pound spring at the moment with 150 psi and its way to sort for me. I weigh 60 kgs.

davetrump

Turbo Monkey
Jul 29, 2003
Hi there.

I just brought a dhx 5.0 shock for my sunday.

I was wondereing if anyone on here can tell me how i can tune it to work best for me? I dont really want to fiddle with the bottom out as i have to take the shock right out so i want to take it out once. I am running a 300 pound spring at the moment with 150 psi and its way to sort for me. I weigh 60 kgs.
try reading the first couple pages of this thread... this subject is covered many times.

macduck

Chimp
Jan 4, 2007
Hi there i have an 06 Sunday and in need to change and upgrade the bearings. Was wondering if anyone new what size and so on i will need to buy to replace them all?!

I also have an issue with my back bolt of the dw link there is alot of side to side movement, the spacers are all in and tightened up to recommened spec. the only thing i can think is that the bearings have shifted out in the frame causing the need for a bigger spacer! If this is the case what can be done to fix and remedy the problem. I'm just guessing but some help would be well appreciated.

Cheers

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
I would get the shop you bought it from inspect the frame and have them order any necessary spare parts from Iron Horse. The bearings in the Sunday are very durable and they most likely are still good or you can regrease them. Another solution is to upgrade to the new 07 links when the go on sale - still no date on that one from Iron Horse as far as I know.

pinkshirtphotos

site moron
Jul 5, 2006
Vernon, NJ
hey i have this idea that im going to strip the paint off my 06 wc does anyone know what it looks like under the green or how hard it will be im thinking just some aircraft stripper pm me if you have pix or something

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
NOOOOOOO!! We're using a proprietary *clear* alloy called unobtanium and we're forced to paint it to keep our competitors thinking that we're just using plain (although highly formed and butted) aluminum tubing. if you strip the paint off you'll see EVERYTHING!!! :(

stripping/repainting (without using Class Act in Portland, OR) voids your warranty due to the chance that you can easily destroy/weaken various parts of your frame with sandblasting, etc. one customer had his frame stripped to be repainted and they sandblasted it to the point of boring out the bearing holes and the bearings wouldn't stay in the frame. :shocked:

hope this helps.

sbabuser

Turbo Monkey
Dec 22, 2004
Golden, CO
I stripped my '05 7 Point using a combination of chemical stripper and scotchbrite pads for my dremel. It is a lot of work to get all the nooks and crannies, but it came out great. Unfortunately, after I got it done, I decided I'd be better served with a Sunday, so I sold it and never built it back up. I didn't remove the bearings, just the seals, and made sure I cleaned all the gunk out before regreasing them and putting it all back together. I've since figured out how easy it is to make bearing pullers with the proper sized bolts/ nuts/ washers and spacers. I think there was a thread on mtbr describing what you need to replace shock bushings, and I just expanded on that idea. Good luck!

pinkshirtphotos

site moron
Jul 5, 2006
Vernon, NJ
NOOOOOOO!! We're using a proprietary *clear* alloy called unobtanium and we're forced to paint it to keep our competitors thinking that we're just using plain (although highly formed and butted) aluminum tubing. if you strip the paint off you'll see EVERYTHING!!! :(

stripping/repainting (without using Class Act in Portland, OR) voids your warranty due to the chance that you can easily destroy/weaken various parts of your frame with sandblasting, etc. one customer had his frame stripped to be repainted and they sandblasted it to the point of boring out the bearing holes and the bearings wouldn't stay in the frame. :shocked:

hope this helps.
k well i got the frame used so no warentee to begin with. and i didnt plan on sand blasting hell i didnt know you could still get sand i use walnut husks but any who i was going to use the aircraft paint stripper just takes off the paint leaving an untouched frame no sanding filing blasting or anything of the such. so unless the bearings are pressed into the frame and paints helping to hold them in that wont do anything.

dG video

I blew a mod to get this title
Feb 25, 2004
vermont
Can someone get a measurement for me? :)

I need the length from center of the headtube to center of the BB on the 19" Sunday. It may be posted in this thread already but I don't think it has.

Dan

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
Menachite: the torque values for the hardware on that bike are on the first page toward the bottom of the first post with all the info in it...

Eren - not really sure where to start with the settings for the DHX Air, and I'm not sure if the settings for the DHX coil will be of much help either... wish I had a better answer for you but I guess trial and error is the best way to sort this out.

Myles

Chimp
Jun 20, 2002
Montréal , Canada
Trial and error on the DHX air is a real pain since you have to almost disamble the whole bike to have access to the air chamber valve... I haven't fund the best set up yet for the DHX air on the Sunday

macduck

Chimp
Jan 4, 2007
Can anyone help me i have an 06 sunday so the old type of shock hardware. Unfortunately the 3mm allen key bolt (top shock mounting bolt) has finally decided to round off and i ain't fussed about getting it out its just the replacement! Does anyone now what size and where i can get one etc.
The other thing is i need to replace my headset i know its the fsa orbit is 2 as standard but does anyone have any siggestions as to whats the best to use.

Cheers