Quantcast

The Official Iron Horse Sunday / DW-Link Tech. & Tuning Section

Hannu

Chimp
Jan 23, 2007
Finland
Hi !

Just got a 2006 sunday frame and having some problems with that. I found something with search, but still have some questions. First is that lower dw link(the red anodized one) has some play in rear pivot, it's kind a floating like 1-1.5mm, it seems that spacers might be too thin. Is this a common problem? Would it be okay to just put very thin shims to correct it? Other thing is that 5th element bushing seem to have a lot of tolerance, upper one is has already very small amount of play and lower one is super-tight. It also seems that even the lower one has some play, but I'm not sure about that. Bike has not been ridden at all yet.

Myles

Chimp
Jun 20, 2002
Montréal , Canada
Can anyone help me i have an 06 sunday so the old type of shock hardware. Unfortunately the 3mm allen key bolt (top shock mounting bolt) has finally decided to round off and i ain't fussed about getting it out its just the replacement! Does anyone now what size and where i can get one etc.
The other thing is i need to replace my headset i know its the fsa orbit is 2 as standard but does anyone have any siggestions as to whats the best to use.

Cheers
I'm using Hope disc bolts (they have 4mm head socket).

Mark W

Chimp
Jan 28, 2004
Canada
anyone knows about the new linkage?
when it will avaliable for regular people?
I just received a reply to an e-mail I had sent to Ironhorse asking the same question. The word is that the '07 linkage kit upgrade will become available late February and will retail for around $200. Hope thats true, I really want to upgrade.

gianthead

Chimp
Jun 26, 2006
I just called ironhorse and they told me the new linkage kits will be available late february for about 200 as well...Seems pretty steep. I might try to modify the original links myself to work with non 5th shocks. Anyone tried this yet?

Also, I called FOX and asked about sunday tuned DHXs. The guy told me that they dont exist. Has anyone actually bought a "sunday tuned" dhx from fox?? Is it possible that I talked to a guy who gave me incorrect info?

saruti

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
Israel
All the Sunday sizes are coming with a 300 spring on the rear shock.
Doesn't a 19" bike is for bigger riders? Don't they need a stiffer spring?
Or is the 300 good for every rider... ?
I'm 72 kilos. On a 16" Sunday, what spring do I need??

FastTimes

Monkey
Jul 2, 2002
Toronto
I just called ironhorse and they told me the new linkage kits will be available late february for about 200 as well...Seems pretty steep. I might try to modify the original links myself to work with non 5th shocks. Anyone tried this yet?

Also, I called FOX and asked about sunday tuned DHXs. The guy told me that they dont exist. Has anyone actually bought a "sunday tuned" dhx from fox?? Is it possible that I talked to a guy who gave me incorrect info?
What you need to do is buy a stock DHX, send it in and request that tune.

Pce,

hucked2bend

Monkey
May 24, 2005
Bend, Oregon
I'm running a 350 Ti spring on my medium Sunday, @ 6'-1" & 215 lbs with kit, works perfect for me.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
I am 72kg and run 300 spring on a Fox DHX.

RMboy

Monkey
Dec 1, 2006
England the Great...
Hi !

Just got a 2006 sunday frame and having some problems with that. I found something with search, but still have some questions. First is that lower dw link(the red anodized one) has some play in rear pivot, it's kind a floating like 1-1.5mm, it seems that spacers might be too thin. Is this a common problem? Would it be okay to just put very thin shims to correct it? Other thing is that 5th element bushing seem to have a lot of tolerance, upper one is has already very small amount of play and lower one is super-tight. It also seems that even the lower one has some play, but I'm not sure about that. Bike has not been ridden at all yet.

hey mate i had the same prob, yeah you can use thin shims to make it work, but if u can get a machine shope to make you some spacers to fit the frame exactly...with the shock a batch of the 5ths had a problem, i got my hardwear from tftuned.com, great guys they will sort you out....

Hannu

Chimp
Jan 23, 2007
Finland
I put in two 0.25mm shims, they seem to do the job. We don't have official 5th element service in finland, but I talked with importer and he is paying for service in local bike shop, so it should be fine. Btw, there was also something internally wrong with the shock, it was making terrible noises and almost locked out with more than 50psi pressure.

dhmtbiker9

Chimp
Dec 8, 2006
I just bought an 06 SUNDAY and was wondering if anyone new the spindle width of the bottom bracket,I know the cups are 83 mm. and people run 165 mm cranks.Thanks DH9

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
I just bought an 06 SUNDAY and was wondering if anyone new the spindle width of the bottom bracket,I know the cups are 83 mm. and people run 165 mm cranks.Thanks DH9
83mm is the bb width, has nothing to do with the cups per-se.
If you are talking about an ISIS bb then the spindle should be 128mm as any 150mm (non asymetrical) rear end will have a 57mm chainline.

113mm spindle = 47.5 - 50 mm chainline
128 mm spindle adds 7.5 mm to each side = 56-57.5 mm chainline.

Rafael-DH

Monkey
Nov 6, 2001
Brazil
so i just got an 06 Sunday Team last week
i'm around 100 kilos (220lbs)
the uses a 5th element shock.... and came with a 300lbs spring... that i noticed to be too soft...
btw what spring do you think thats going to be better?
even being heavy... i'm ride very flowy.... i was thinking about a 400lbs!
thanks

RMboy

Monkey
Dec 1, 2006
England the Great...
prob about right, im 13stone, dont know what that is in lbs, but i ride a 350, ad i ride flowy...

dont get any harder than 400, dont think the bike is designed to be hard at the rear..i set my shock up hard once, and it performed sh*t..but i could be wrong

sbabuser

Turbo Monkey
Dec 22, 2004
Golden, CO
I'm 185, and am running a 350 with almost zero preload - am very happy with it. At 220, you might need to go with the 400. Base your spring weight and preload on your sag and you're golden.

saruti

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
Israel
how do you guys tune your dhx 5? (72 kilos guys...)
how much air? how nany clicks on every valve?

thanks.

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
The bearings are all ABI/Enduro type cartridge bearings, so if you really want to, you could try to -CAREFULLY- remove the dust shield (plastic cover in the middle) blast some de-greaser in there, spin it, blast it with compressed air, then re-pack it and put the shield back on.

Thing is though - if you tweak the shield while removing it and bend it too much, you won't be able to put it back on the bearing.

The alternative is to tap out the bearings and just replace em'. They are between 10 and 25 USD each.

Jan 28, 2006
Ca
Hi my friend has a 2006 7.3 and he wants to know if a roco world cup will work without needing to be tuned. And is there any companies that can tune a manitou 6way? Thanks

Gelbwurstbrot

Monkey
Jul 31, 2004
Franken, Germany
Would a Manitou Evolver ISX-6 fit?

Which size would you recommend?
I am 5'8" with long legs (inseam 86 cm/34") and also longer arms (64 cm/25,2")
Size S with a 60 mm stem or
Size M with a 40 mm stem?

Does anybody know the distance from center of the BB to the center of the top of the headtube form size S or M?

Thanks a lot

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
Would a Manitou Evolver ISX-6 fit?
have not tried that specific shock, but it is based on the revox (with the 90deg piggyback mounting) which definitely does not fit.

Which size would you recommend?
I am 5'8" with long legs (inseam 86 cm/34") and also longer arms
Size S with a 60 mm stem or
Size M with a 40 mm stem?

Does anybody know the distance from center of the BB to the center of the top of the headtube form size S or M?

Thanks a lot
You'd probably be more comfortable on a medium, as the small is *real* small. can get you the "front center" measurement when I get to work. :)

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
we spoke with them about getting some test shocks, and then the whole HB thing happened. we try to test out as many shocks as we can get our hands on, but when a shock-maker changes their design so it appears it *won't* fit on our bikes, it's hard to keep up with what fits and what doesn't. they don't have the large adjustment knobs that the Revox does, so it's possible they might but I'm not holding my breath.

saruti

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
Israel
Can you drill the 06 links and make them 10mm, like the 07?
Drill the links, drill the bushings and use a 10mm bolts...
Did anyone try it?

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
I don't have access to FE analysis but I'm guessing this would be a REALLY bad idea.

Any drilling you do could weaken the links.

Rumor has it the 07 Link Kits should be available as early as March, but it's still just a rumor - some guys have contacted the I.H. warranty dept. and this was the response they got.