Quantcast

The Official Iron Horse Sunday / DW-Link Tech. & Tuning Section

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
bizutch:
Only bad thing...I wasn't expecting it to come so quick and it has to sit there til I can sell a kidney.
THAT'S why you were worried about race fees...

Damn man, sorry to hear about the screwed up cash flow situation.

If you need a fork that's in excellent condition for cheap, let me know.

pyynö

Chimp
May 6, 2006
Finland
Ok, I also have a problem in Sunday Factory 2006.

There was noticable play right out of the box between dwlink and "reartriangle" axle. Feels like loose rearhub bearing. No missing spacers. I have taken it apart, the play is between the dw-link and the axle. Seems odd to fix this kind of play with spacers? The axle is machined, but the link is...

So I need to upgrade my bike before I even ride it???
(buy new links 'hence the originals are ???)

I have had this problem since june 2006, hopefully I'll get this issue fixed before the snow melts. Yes I have been in contact with my importer, many many times.

Ps: The axle has also started to develop grooves.
Pps: Grooves also on the upper shock fixing bolt, and in the lower fixing cups.
Pps: Don't think for a second that I don't like my bike :)

Bati

Monkey
May 8, 2003
Santiago - Chile
pyynö;2496513 said:

There was noticable play right out of the box between dwlink and "reartriangle" axle. Feels like loose rearhub bearing. No missing spacers. I have taken it apart, the play is between the dw-link and the axle. Seems odd to fix this kind of play with spacers? The axle is machined, but the link is...

I have had this problem since june 2006, hopefully I'll get this issue fixed before the snow melts. Yes I have been in contact with my importer, many many times.

First, try changing bearings. You can get heavy duty japanese ones for $20 or less, and is very easy to change it at home.

pyynö

Chimp
May 6, 2006
Finland
Thanks.

But play is not in the bearings, I have taken the rear end apart, though there was no need in confirming this because you can feel the movement by hand. (from link and axle).
I have been in contact with my importer and IH customer service. Hopefully this issue is soon history :)

Ps: Non driveside bearing feels unhealthy.

Hannu

Chimp
Jan 23, 2007
Finland
pyynö;2496513 said:

Kuulostaa kovin tutulta. :) I had same problems before bike had been ridden at all. I fixed it with two very thin spacers, it seems to be working fine. I also had to put small spacer(or actually a shim plate) to upper shock mount to get it tight.

pyynö

Chimp
May 6, 2006
Finland
Hello.

Hannu, the play in my IhquIronHorse is radial, not side to side. Cannot be fixed by spacers... :(

ps: Luinkin tuolta jo aiemmin että oli ollut ongelmia...

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
Hey pyyno - if you have any problems getting this fixed through your importer let me, SkaTodd, or Dante here at RideMonkey know, and we may be able to help with a different solution.

MikeL

Chimp
Aug 23, 2006
LI NY
pyynö;2496513 said:

I recieved your emails, I am looking into this now...

Mike L
Warranty/Tech Support

Mark W

Chimp
Jan 28, 2004
Canada
So, I hate to be the guy that keeps asking, but the 'end of February' has long since come and gone. Is there any word on the 2007 linkage kits?

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Any 140-150lb sunday riders here?
What spring are you guys running?

I'm 145 and wondering if I can get away with a 300 or if it'll be too hard to get 33% sag (I want that at least)... the tftuned calculator suggests 265 but the closest I can get in Ti is a 250 or 300

jvnixon

Turbo Monkey
May 14, 2006
SickLines.com

I'm 145 and wondering if I can get away with a 300 or if it'll be too hard to get 33% sag (I want that at least)... the tftuned calculator suggests 265 but the closest I can get in Ti is a 250 or 300
Maybe a 250?

dw I saw weighs 165 and runs a 300 on his DHX w/100psi and boost closed.

dh_newbie

Monkey
Jun 7, 2006
Hong Kong

I 'm 155 lbs using 300 lbs ti-spring...DHX w/100psi and boost closed...I am happy with this setup..May be u can use 275 steel spring

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
LOL

youv'e got mad rhymin' skeeelz Butch

I ridealyze, riding and analyzing at the same time... :)
whoa...me no spelly checker.
I realize the only thing that prevents you from being a top level pro rider is your intense curiousity to stare down at your bike to study the bikes structural reactions to intense loads while in the midst of your race runs.

Feb 26, 2003
plovdiv & boston

I'm 140-145 lbs and a 300 was too hard for me. I recently tried a 250 on smoother and slower speed tracks and it was ok, but it was bottoming easily. I might be able to get away with it on some courses, but for rougher and faster ones a 275 will be needed.

davetrump

Turbo Monkey
Jul 29, 2003
I'm 140-145 lbs and a 300 was too hard for me. I recently tried a 250 on smoother and slower speed tracks and it was ok, but it was bottoming easily. I might be able to get away with it on some courses, but for rougher and faster ones a 275 will be needed.
where does one find a 275 spring? i weigh 155 with no gear on, so i might be on the bubble for the 300 working for me as well

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
I am 155 without gear and the 300 on DHX worked perfect all last year. I think Acadian is around the same weight and same spring too.

A lot of Sundays came with 275 springs on the 5th Element in 05.

davetrump

Turbo Monkey
Jul 29, 2003
I am 155 without gear and the 300 on DHX worked perfect all last year. I think Acadian is around the same weight and same spring too.

A lot of Sundays came with 275 springs on the 5th Element in 05.
thanks for the info

i am pretty sure the 300 wil be good, but i always like to experiment to see what is best

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Exactly what I was expecting to hear. I'm a fairly aggressive rider so suspect i'll bottom out the 250 often (or have a fairly harsh mid to end stroke by running too much pressure and bottom out to force it to be overly progressive)...... and won't get enough sag on the 300, tried one this weekend. My other worry was how much "kick" I could get off obstacles with the softer spring - i've noticed they seem to give a more planted and less lively ride.

Not entirely sure what to do, but i've got another bike to ride while I decide.... seriously contemplating trying a dhx air despite what's been said here, as at least that way i've got a finer tuning range for springrate available. We have one kid racing a sunday here with an air and so far no complaints.

PS - i've noticed your posts are surprisingly switched on despite your username :)

May 3, 2004
Sanna Croooz
I weigh about 190 or so...should I EVER use the stock 300lbs spring that came on my '07?

The bike felt GREAT with the 300lbs spring but I was bottoming off some samll jumps and medium compression situations on the trail. I switched to a 350lbs spring and now the bike feels prettyy much like a$$.

For both springs I had the bottom out turned all the way in and about 90 or 100 psi in the boost chamber.
propedal 3 clicks in for the 300lbs spring, and all the way off for the 350.

Next I'm going to go back to the 300lbs and put 120psi in the boost chamber.

I read a lot of the older parts to this post and saw a lot of stuff for lighter riders (160-180lbs range) but not really much for someone as heavy as me.