Quantcast

The Official Iron Horse Sunday / DW-Link Tech. & Tuning Section

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
Hmmm... is the dw-link red ano or raw/silver colored?

I totally agree with you 100% - there has to be a better way to reconcile this issue if it was a new framekit that you purchased. Were all the bolts in the suspension kept at the proper torque value? (i.e - did you check periodically for anything that might have worked itself loose?)

EDIT: O.K. - the machinist/mechanic was able to sort the problem by making some spacers for the linkage. So you are up and running again correct? I know this shouldn't have happened in the first place, and I'm still talking with the guys over at I.H. to see what the root of the issue is.

Funk - if you had to add spacers to compensate for play there is definitely something wrong with the spacing of your linkage - it's still hard to tell from the pics what exactly is going on. I'll get some measurements from Mike and then ask you to take some measurements on your frame... I'll take apart my Sunday and take some pics to give you a better idea of what I need.

EDIT: I don't think it's the frame, but I think that by adding more spacers you may be getting farther away from solving the problem than fixing it.

I'll be going on vacation next week from the 13th through the 18th and they don't have internet access where I'm going, so I'll keep Mike up to speed on what's going on and have him help out while I'm gone.

Sound good?

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
Funk - the boys at I.H. have been getting crushed with work the past few weeks so I sent an email to Mike to see if any of the I.H. boys will be at Snowmass.

As far as the spacing in the linkage goes, I'll have some shots of my bike to give you tomorrow so that you can see what I need you to look for on your bike. (if that makes sense - it's just easier with pictures)

:biggrin:

shagwell

Monkey
Jun 15, 2004
Hmmm... is the dw-link red ano or raw/silver colored?

I totally agree with you 100% - there has to be a better way to reconcile this issue if it was a new framekit that you purchased. Were all the bolts in the suspension kept at the proper torque value? (i.e - did you check periodically for anything that might have worked itself loose?)

EDIT: O.K. - the machinist/mechanic was able to sort the problem by making some spacers for the linkage. So you are up and running again correct? I know this shouldn't have happened in the first place, and I'm still talking with the guys over at I.H. to see what the root of the issue is.
its the red link. an 06 sunday factory framekit as i said. yep, everything was kept torqued.

yea i'm up and running for the moment thanks to the excellent shop i bought the frame from but have lost alot of confidence in the quality of iron horse frames to be honest.

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
Shag, I'm sorry that you had an issue with play in the linkage - I know what it's like to have your bike down and in the shop (was a different bike manufacturer, not my Sunday) when you really want to be out riding. I also know the frustration of wanting a cost effective fix for the problem.

With every manufacturer there will be a few issues from time to time with the product line - and I know how having an issue with your own bike can make you question everything.

If you had 2 frames in a row with the same problem, I'd say yes - obviously there is a greater problem out there, but I also understand that even one issue can be one too many sometimes.

If you feel that there is something wrong with the frame or linkage, and it wasn't something that you did to the bike, all you have to do is talk to me or MikeL and we'll work with you to get a replacement.

Demomonkey

Monkey
Apr 27, 2005
Auckland New Zealand
hi guys, i recently got the 06 sunday (red dw link) and love it. my only problem is i have about 2/3 mm of play in pretty much every direction. i am certain that is the rear of the dw link that is the culprit as i can see it by eye. im guessing that a couple of shims behind the bearings should sort out the lateral play? if so does any one know the sizes i should get? also does anyone have any tips for solving the up and down play?
I had the same problem when I got my 06 Factory 2nd hand. I got my mechanic to replace all of the bearings. Problem solved. The bike has developed a tiny amount of vertical 'slop' but no lateral. It does not affect the performance of the bike. Go for new bearings, you should be pleased with the result.

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler
I have never had a DH bike where the shock bushings didn't wear out at the end of the season.
These aren't shock bushes we're talking about man, these are massive lateral play issues that a LOT of people are having, and to be honest these issues and the fact that they stuck around for at least 2 years are the reason I never traded in my 04 SGS (which needed modding as well, some of the stock hardware was utter crap, and IH Australia are totally useless when it comes to fixing anything) for a Sunday. The 07 ones so far seem to be fixed from what I've seen, but that doesn't mean my confidence in IH's design/quality control hasn't been shaken just a bit. Which is a shame because the bikes ride really nice.

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
Yes, there are some issues out there but it is not widespread. Iron Horse sell thousands of frames and of those there may be a small amount that have this issue.

Maintanence is key here: Always make sure that the linkage hardware is properly torqued - applying loctite to the threads of the lower linkage hardware should be performed if things start to loosen up.

Again - if a rider feels that something is wrong, all they have to do is get in touch with Iron Horse (either here or through the main website) and we will gladly work with you to replace what it needed.

Sgt.Retro

Chimp
Jun 26, 2007
Franconia
So, I now have some spacers on one side of the rear DW linkage that makes it so there is absolutely no play in the rear. I then noticed a very small amount of play in the front DW area. I pressed in new bushing and examined the pin and reducers. Everything looked fine. I sent some pics to S.K.C of the DW link bearings and to me, and I guess to him as well, it appears the bearings are not pressed in equal distances. I took it to a shop and the mechanic said the bearings are pressed in all of the way, although I am still not convinced. My next step was putting an extra spacer on one of the front DW link bearings. Since then I have ridden two lift served days and have not notice any play. However, there are two things I am worried about. One, the spacing from frame to link on the two sides looks different, which I am worried is tweaking the shock sideways a little bit. Second, I notice a little creak as the shock is about to return to full extension, which I am thinking may be because one of the linkages areas is now too tight. At this point, unless I can get an IH mechanic to check it out at Snowmass (if they are there ) I am going to ride it as is and then buy the 07 kit next year.
I´ve got nearly the same problem like you, but withe the difference that I´ve got 2 spacers in the front lower link!
I´ve got in contact with MikeL and the product dept, and they recommend getting it to a local bike
shop and having them pull the bearings out, check for excess paint or any burrs and repress the bearings in. But I don´t think this will solve this!
I also recognized, when I removed the lower link, that the space between the frame/bearing and the link is not the same on both sides. On the left side there´s is room between the bearing and the link for the spacer to fit in, so the link can end up with the frame, like it has to be for my opinion. On the right side things just look different: The bearing ends up withe the frame, so there´s no room in the frame for the spacer to fit in! This effects that you can see the spacer between the link and the frame, and a different spacing from frame to link when you build the link in. The same problem like you have Funk! Have you just looked if it´s the same with your frame?Maybe it will and I´m not the only one with this problem!
The bearing on the right side are also deeper in the frame then on the left, but the bearings are pressed in all of the way!

This really sucks!

Attachments

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
Wow.

Thanks for the great pics retro - this helps out a lot.

O.K. it looks like the bearing bore wasn't drilled out properly in the frame.

Not a problem.

I will send a copy of this to Mike and see what he has to say.

Sgt.Retro

Chimp
Jun 26, 2007
Franconia
Thanks!

It took me a lot of time to make pictures, that show my problem properly.

I don´t think you have to send the pictures to Mike, because he already has seen them ( hope so!) and his answer was what I´ve just written above!

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
That's a big "Negative" Sarge... :biggrin:

I just emailed him the first shot from above, and his reaction was the same as mine.

Here's what I need from you:

1. The serial# off your frame
2. The date you purchased it (roughly)
3. Your frame size.

Mike is currently looking into this with the Iron Horse Product Manager, so the big guns are on it!

Sgt.Retro

Chimp
Jun 26, 2007
Franconia
That's a big "Negative" Sarge... :biggrin:

I just emailed him the first shot from above, and his reaction was the same as mine.

Here's what I need from you:

1. The serial# off your frame
2. The date you purchased it (roughly)
3. Your frame size.

Mike is currently looking into this with the Iron Horse Product Manager, so the big guns are on it!
Sorry for the wrong word, but it was quite late yesterday! :cheers:
I´ll correct this immediately! Hope you have understood what I meant!?
Thanks so far!

Hope the solution from the guys at Ironhorse will be better than the last!
In my opinion the frame got a failure, because the seating of the bearing is absolutely incorrect! I just recieved several meanings from different people about this problem and their resumption was almost everytime the same like mine: The frame is failured!

And to be honest I don´t want to solve this by using a different amount of spacers on each side, or something like that!
I´ve payed a lot of money for the bike and normally, in my opinion, everything has to be alright especially the frame!

But I also have to say a big thanks to MikeL! He does a great job at IH and is quite busy to solve problems you may have with your bike.
For example he sent me a handful of different spacers for the lower link, because we, and you, first thought that I`m missing a spacer.
Maybe you can remember this issue ( it´s on page 50).
It only lasted 2 days and they arrived here in Germany, and this all for free!That´s really cool, thanks Mike!

Last but not least: Tomorrow I´ll send you a PM with the dates you want to know

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
Sgt. Retro - the two most important things I need are the Serial # and your frame size. The date isn't really that important - we can take care of that later. :)

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
Gah... still waiting to hear back from Mike - they've left work for the day as of now, but I'll shoot him another email concerning your situation (not the orig. owner) tonight.

macduck

Chimp
Jan 4, 2007
Gah... still waiting to hear back from Mike - they've left work for the day as of now, but I'll shoot him another email concerning your situation (not the orig. owner) tonight.
I have the same problem its an 06 frameset purchased new in the uk last year with the red linkage plate but with the 5th element and with in weeks of riding the whole back end felt sloppy and has done ever since despite trying everything under the sun. Have had the bearings out and made sure that there is no excess paint inside and then had them pressed back in but still the same issue. What really annoyed me is that i had spent so much money on this bike and when i approached the shop i purchased it from they then spoke to the main distributor of the uk for me and he came back with " Ironhorse build there bikes this way ". I knew this was not true but basically was told to deal with it. The bike has a good amount of play still and i added a new spacer to remove the side to side movement (yes i know not the correct thing but it enabled me to ride the thing) but i have always had up and down movement despite changing the bushing many times and even having them custom made. The hardware has always been at the correct torque and locktite used but i have nearly given up hope with this. Would appreciate some feed back S.K.C. Thanks

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
I have the same problem its an 06 frameset purchased new in the uk last year with the red linkage plate but with the 5th element and with in weeks of riding the whole back end felt sloppy... Have had the bearings out and made sure that there is no excess paint inside and then had them pressed back in but still the same issue... when i approached the shop i purchased it from they then spoke to the main distributor of the uk for me and he came back with " Iron horse build there bikes this way ". I knew this was not true but basically was told to deal with it. The bike has a good amount of play still and i added a new spacer to remove the side to side movement (yes i know not the correct thing but it enabled me to ride the thing) but i have always had up and down movement despite changing the bushing many times and even having them custom made. The hardware has always been at the correct torque and locktite used but i have nearly given up hope with this. Would appreciate some feed back S.K.C. Thanks

Is your lateral play fixed? How many spacers are you running on the right and laeft sides of the dw-link - the number used should be equal. As for the vertical play, how much is there? When standing next to the bike if you hold the tip of the top rocker where it connects to the shock with one hand, and lift the seat up and down with the other do you feel this "up and down" play? I had the same problem with my Sunday and remedied most of it by switching to heavy-duty pin-axles:
http://www.tftunedshox.com/mount_kits.htm

Due to the tolerances that some shock manufacturers work by, there will always be a bit of gap between the outer diameter of the shock bolt and the inner diameter of the pin-axle (shock bolt goes through the pin-axle).

As far as what your distributor said - this is not an accurate statement at ALL. It would seem that a few frames got through with this issue, but by no means is this representative of the over-all picture.

Let me know if this helps.

S.K.C.

macduck

Chimp
Jan 4, 2007
Is your lateral play fixed? How many spacers are you running on the right and laeft sides of the dw-link - the number used should be equal. As for the vertical play, how much is there? When standing next to the bike if you hold the tip of the top rocker where it connects to the shock with one hand, and lift the seat up and down with the other do you feel this "up and down" play? I had the same problem with my Sunday and remedied most of it by switching to heavy-duty pin-axles:
http://www.tftunedshox.com/mount_kits.htm

Due to the tolerances that some shock manufacturers work by, there will always be a bit of gap between the outer diameter of the shock bolt and the inner diameter of the pin-axle (shock bolt goes through the pin-axle).

As far as what your distributor said - this is not an accurate statement at ALL. It would seem that a few frames got through with this issue, but by no means is this representative of the over-all picture.

Let me know if this helps.

S.K.C.
Its fixed but not the right way. I have two spacers on the back left side of the dw link and then one every where else. I know that this should not be done but when i was told that it was meant to be like this i had no choice. When the whole thing was put together the factory way the bearings felt really gritty but when apart ran smooth so when tightened up must of twisted them a fraction enough to cause them to go rough but either way there was still side to side movement. So after making sure everything was fitted correctly i have pushed the bearing out slightly enough to fit another spacer in and then once tightened up have removed all movement and run smooth i know this is incorrect but was at a dead end.

As for the shock hardware i have had two sets from tf tuned and both still had movement and i even took out a digital caliper to measure it down to the smallest amount and then had them custom made for me again from tf tuned but still plenty of play. The bike just feels like a bag of bones. I hope this explains some more.

stoneyloon

Chimp
May 17, 2007
Hi guys, i really need help sorting the play in my sunday,(06 red link) i dont have any play in the shock or anywhere else apart from the back of the dw link. i have a good couple of mill of play in every direction and i can visibly see the play in this area. Is it possible that the pin going through this linkage has worn and is now a little too small? should i shim the bearings out slightly to try and solve the side to side play? also the all the bolts have been done up to the recommended torque using a torque wrench and loctited?

Hannu

Chimp
Jan 23, 2007
Finland
It seems that rear lower dw-link pivot is problem with many 06 sundays. I had same problem, both side-to-side and up-and-down play that got fixed with few extra spacer. I also know a couple of other guys here in finland with same problems. I also had to change both upper dw-link seattube pivot bearing, frame has been ridden only this summer, not very nice. Rode my 224 almost two years with zero problems. So, for sunday: good frame desing, not-so-good execution. I don't think that my next bike will be ironhorse.

On the other hand, aren't all sundays made in taiwan this year? Perhaps they can make better quality frames...my current one is US made...

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
I don't think that my next bike will be ironhorse.
That's a shame because they finally sorted themselves out for 07, and the shock/pivot hardware saw a complete redesign. Now the hardware setup is probably the best I've seen on any bike.

Definitely not defending the 05 (and some 06 frames) riddled with issues (and the fact that they are charging $360us to fix a problem that isn't the user's fault... although that seem to doesn't stop them selling!) but if you ever decide to give ironhorse another chance, the 07 frame and onwards is the time to do it. :)

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
Its fixed but not the right way. I have two spacers on the back left side of the dw link and then one every where else. I know that this should not be done but when i was told that it was meant to be like this i had no choice. When the whole thing was put together the factory way the bearings felt really gritty but when apart ran smooth so when tightened up must of twisted them a fraction enough to cause them to go rough but either way there was still side to side movement. So after making sure everything was fitted correctly i have pushed the bearing out slightly enough to fit another spacer in and then once tightened up have removed all movement and run smooth i know this is incorrect but was at a dead end.

As for the shock hardware i have had two sets from tf tuned and both still had movement and i even took out a digital caliper to measure it down to the smallest amount and then had them custom made for me again from tf tuned but still plenty of play. The bike just feels like a bag of bones. I hope this explains some more.
O.K. - I'm guessing the main issue throwing everything off is what's going on with your spacers. The bike should definitely not feel that way.

I need you to PM me a picture just like this one so I can see what's going on:

Sgt.Retro

Chimp
Jun 26, 2007
Franconia
It seems that rear lower dw-link pivot is problem with many 06 sundays. I had same problem, both side-to-side and up-and-down play that got fixed with few extra spacer. I also know a couple of other guys here in finland with same problems. I also had to change both upper dw-link seattube pivot bearing, frame has been ridden only this summer, not very nice. Rode my 224 almost two years with zero problems. So, for sunday: good frame desing, not-so-good execution. I don't think that my next bike will be ironhorse.

On the other hand, aren't all sundays made in taiwan this year? Perhaps they can make better quality frames...my current one is US made...
I agree with your first quote that the lower link is a problem with many 06 sundays, mine too, and I´ve ridden mine only one time!

But that made in taiwan frames should be better in quality, in my opinion, is not quite right, because my 06 Elite is made in taiwan and I´ve problems with it like you can see on the page before!

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
That's a shame because they finally sorted themselves out for 07, and the shock/pivot hardware saw a complete redesign. Now the hardware setup is probably the best I've seen on any bike.

Definitely not defending the 05 (and some 06 frames) riddled with issues (and the fact that they are charging $360us to fix a problem that isn't the user's fault... although that seem to doesn't stop them selling!) but if you ever decide to give ironhorse another chance, the 07 frame and onwards is the time to do it. :)
I agree 100%. The 2007 hardware is better than anything else I've seen. When I got my 2007 Sunday Factory frame (about 10 months ago) I removed the shock to route the brake hose through the frame and change the spring to a 350. Since then I have not had one single issue with the hardware. No loose bolts, no play in the pins or bushings. I just pulled apart my 07 MkIII and the hardware there is equally impressive. Bearings were buttery and everything was perfectly aligned - far better than some "boutique" bikes I have owned. Even my 2006 Sunday WC was pretty trouble free - other than replacing the top shock pin with a 8mm bolt/nut combo and replacing the stock Fox alloy reducers with some heavier duty SS reducers (also Fox).

I just wanted to offer up my personal experience as it has been very good.

olliec

Chimp
Aug 13, 2007
Hi all,
I`ve got a real problem with my `06 sunday with the `07 link kit on it. Initially there was a problem with play in the rear end. initially it semmed like it was coming from the upper link. on further investigation the spacer was to big hence not causing the upper link to clamp up. A quick 0,05mm a side off the spacer sorted it.

Anyway, tried the bike again and more play. This time coming from the lower (used to be red, now silver) rearmost axel on the dw link. Now i`ve checked the bearings with the axel in and theres no play at all (see pic below, sorry about the bad quality but it looking downward with the bike upside down).
With the axel then through the dw link there is a considerable amount of play. Has anybody else has any problems with the hardware clearences being to big on this rear link?

just to note aswell, with the new extended bearing in the rear swingarm, there is approximately 1mm clearence per side when offered up to the dw link . In this area on the old red dw link i had to add spacer but they are to big to put in this one. Should i have to install these or should it fit flush? The bearings are definately press into a clean , burr free hole. Could the depth of drilling in the rear swingarm not be deep enough?

any help is appreciated as this frame has caused me some heart ache!!(however it rides awesome)

Attachments

Biscuit

Turbo Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
Pleasant Hill, CA
Hi all,
I`ve got a real problem with my `06 sunday with the `07 link kit on it. Initially there was a problem with play in the rear end. initially it semmed like it was coming from the upper link. on further investigation the spacer was to big hence not causing the upper link to clamp up. A quick 0,05mm a side off the spacer sorted it.

Anyway, tried the bike again and more play. This time coming from the lower (used to be red, now silver) rearmost axel on the dw link. Now i`ve checked the bearings with the axel in and theres no play at all (see pic below, sorry about the bad quality but it looking downward with the bike upside down).
With the axel then through the dw link there is a considerable amount of play. Has anybody else has any problems with the hardware clearences being to big on this rear link?

just to note aswell, with the new extended bearing in the rear swingarm, there is approximately 1mm clearence per side when offered up to the dw link . In this area on the old red dw link i had to add spacer but they are to big to put in this one. Should i have to install these or should it fit flush? The bearings are definately press into a clean , burr free hole. Could the depth of drilling in the rear swingarm not be deep enough?

any help is appreciated as this frame has caused me some heart ache!!(however it rides awesome)
Wierd problem. Check to see that the upper and lower axles aren't mixed up (they look identical but are different lengths).

What I guess would be #9 and #21 here:
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c54/CK_123/2007SundayNEWI.jpg

*edit*
Actually, re-reading your question, I may have misunderstood.

For clairty:
- You have already pressed in the "new" extended-race bearings into the swingarm. (no. 3 in the diagram above)
- With the axle (no. 21) through the dw-link (no. 15), there is a gap between the bearing race and the dw-link.

Right?

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
I'd have to agree w/ Biscuit's first idea. I got confused by that too.

Also, make sure you're reading the plans right (http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c54/CK_123/2007SundayNEWI.jpg). The DW link shown is actually upside-down. Note how the bolt goes to the right side of the frame which may appear to go into the left side of the DW link? But in all actuality it goes in the right side of the link (cuz its upside down). Make sense?

olliec

Chimp
Aug 13, 2007
Wierd problem. Check to see that the upper and lower axles aren't mixed up (they look identical but are different lengths).

What I guess would be #9 and #21 here:
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c54/CK_123/2007SundayNEWI.jpg

*edit*
Actually, re-reading your question, I may have misunderstood.

For clairty:
- You have already pressed in the "new" extended-race bearings into the swingarm. (no. 3 in the diagram above)
- With the axle (no. 21) through the dw-link (no. 15), there is a gap between the bearing race and the dw-link.

Right?

yep, so its allows the dw link to move on the axle. So should this play be taken up via the extended lips on the bearings taking the laterial play or by the diametral location of the axel(21) through the dw link?

Cheers ollie

olliec

Chimp
Aug 13, 2007
I'd have to agree w/ Biscuit's first idea. I got confused by that too.

Also, make sure you're reading the plans right (http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c54/CK_123/2007SundayNEWI.jpg). The DW link shown is actually upside-down. Note how the bolt goes to the right side of the frame which may appear to go into the left side of the DW link? But in all actuality it goes in the right side of the link (cuz its upside down). Make sense?
they are different length but if i remember when putting them in there was quite a big difference between the two, the axel in now seems nice and snug from a length point of view

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler
Yes, there are some issues out there but it is not widespread. Iron Horse sell thousands of frames and of those there may be a small amount that have this issue.

Maintanence is key here: Always make sure that the linkage hardware is properly torqued - applying loctite to the threads of the lower linkage hardware should be performed if things start to loosen up.

Again - if a rider feels that something is wrong, all they have to do is get in touch with Iron Horse (either here or through the main website) and we will gladly work with you to replace what it needed.

You work for IH SKC? Cheers for being so pro-active with the customer support (and Todd has been great too), however I have to say that the 05/06 model linkage issues were VERY widespread down here in Oz - as in, literally 100% of 05/06 sundays I've seen/ridden/lifted up have had play in them. There weren't any exceptions, they all had it. Maybe you guys in the US got the problems fixed quicker, but we sure didn't. If you've got the problem fixed now, fantastic, I'll probably end up with a Sunday at some point, but seriously there were huge problems here in Aus, and the Aussie distributor is among the worst I've ever dealt with (and the reason why at least 3 of the largest DH-involved bike shops in Melbourne dropped IH in 2006 - I know because I worked for two of them). If you guys got yourselves a new distributor I'm fairly confident your sales here would rocket.

Anyway I don't mean to sound like I'm bagging the crap out of the company, because you and Todd have been extremely helpful to me and others, and the bikes really do ride nicely. Cheers!

RaID

Turbo Monkey
You work for IH SKC? Cheers for being so pro-active with the customer support (and Todd has been great too), however I have to say that the 05/06 model linkage issues were VERY widespread down here in Oz - as in, literally 100% of 05/06 sundays I've seen/ridden/lifted up have had play in them. There weren't any exceptions, they all had it.
Dont want to sound like a broken record, there are quite a few sundays floating in Adelaide, that do not have the play in the linkage. And if it developed any the bikeshop down here took care of it.

My 06 Elite has been ridden for about 15 months now and i replaced the shock bushing when they wore out (after about 10 months of use which i consider quite reasonable) and the play has not developed since.

On the issues of Iron horse sales booming, the adelaide scene is quite healthy in numbers with about 15 incarnations of the sunday floating around regularly at races.

Maybe we are the lucky ones.

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler
Dont want to sound like a broken record, there are quite a few sundays floating in Adelaide, that do not have the play in the linkage. And if it developed any the bikeshop down here took care of it.

My 06 Elite has been ridden for about 15 months now and i replaced the shock bushing when they wore out (after about 10 months of use which i consider quite reasonable) and the play has not developed since.

On the issues of Iron horse sales booming, the adelaide scene is quite healthy in numbers with about 15 incarnations of the sunday floating around regularly at races.

Maybe we are the lucky ones.
The bike shop took care of it? So custom stuff? Because myself and several mates have tried to deal with IH AU and they are A-grade useless. They never fixed the problems for the guys I know (myself included, I've had custom hardware made up for my SGS).

On a side note, I met a guy at Buller who was up there with his brand new 06 Sunday, as in first ride ever, and he pulled it out of the car... it had play in it. ANYWAY... like you say, broken record, so I'm just gonna say I'm glad they fixed the 07s and leave it at that.

olliec

Chimp
Aug 13, 2007
The bike shop took care of it? So custom stuff? Because myself and several mates have tried to deal with IH AU and they are A-grade useless. They never fixed the problems for the guys I know (myself included, I've had custom hardware made up for my SGS).

On a side note, I met a guy at Buller who was up there with his brand new 06 Sunday, as in first ride ever, and he pulled it out of the car... it had play in it. ANYWAY... like you say, broken record, so I'm just gonna say I'm glad they fixed the 07s and leave it at that.
i thought the linkage kit would`ve fixed mine but it bloody hasn`t. well miffed at the moment. Bike came with a broken shock. A resprayed paint job (one ontop of another) has had ~4 different upper shock mounting pins (owned it for ~14 months), had to space the old rear dw link twice, got the new linkage kit then had to modifiy the top shock mount, not it has play again in the back end.
I know these are one of the best peforming downhiull bikes on the planet but i`m really starting to get that fedup of constant problems that i`m thinking of changing to something else.

Could anyone please try to cheer me up? Have i got a bad frame and just been unlucky?

Sorry for moaning but i just want my bikes service record like my mates v10, solid, 224 and asterisks havoc that are just plug and play then replace bearings every 6 months to a year.

sorry again for the gripe, but this is no way a dig at iron horse as there support has been second to none, its just reoccuring issues that are getting on my tits now.

ollie

RaID

Turbo Monkey
Ill have to take your word (and everyone else) on dealing with IH AUS. Ive always gone back to the LBS from which my sunday came if i had any problems, which they solved.

Aug 16, 2007
I found the sunday torque diagram, but I was hoping that someone has the torque diagram for the 2006 7 point series. The rear dw link bolt has been stripped due to continuous tightening and I would like to correctly tighten the new pivot kit.