Quantcast

The Official Iron Horse Sunday / DW-Link Tech. & Tuning Section

I would avoid loctite'ing the countersunk bolts as the non drive side one on my sunday seized after about a month of riding. However, I do ride in wet conditions.

It took me 3 days of soaking it in WD40 and a lot of work to get it free from the shock pin, and it still seized again soon after.

I now leave it seized and hammer it and the pin out from the drive side.

Bad, and fiddley design IMO.

I'd grease both counter sunk bolts lightly and keep an eye on them for tightness.

The whole area of the lower shock mount is over complicated and a pain in the ass. If the shock countersunk bolts aren't busy working themselves loose, or seizing, the two large linkage preload bolts are working themselves loose.

The Sunday is working out to be the most high maintenance bike I have owned.

Saying that I am hard on bikes, and I'm sure a million happy Sunday owners will chime in, in it's defense.

Best of luck sorting your linkage out.

JT

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
As a general rule of thumb with suspension pieces/pivots on my Sunday I have found that I must lube every metal on metal piece thoroughly (I use Manipoo's M-prep). And each fastener (bolts and their threads) must be grease-free and must use loctite. I have found that is the best way to keep things tight and happy.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
I disagree with JT on this one. Do loctite the countersunk bolts, and use a high grade of it.

JT - loctite prevents seizing just like grease does, but the difference is that it also holds the bolt there.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
I think the official recommendation is 242/243, however I've seen them come loose even with that, so I use 262 and have had no problems. You can also replace those bolts with high-tensile steel versions, the heads are much more resistant to stripping. They'll get a little surface rust but it's only cosmetic.

vincer

Chimp
Sep 11, 2008
hey guys i just bought a sunday world cup frame a month ago it came with a vivid and a 300 spring this felt too soft from the start, i was getting seat rub just forcing my my weight down and back on the bike in the parking lot i threw the compression up all the way trying to get the shock to stand up a bit more and not be so soft, it worked it did stiffen it up a bit but every bump and root was pretty rough i found like the shock was really wasnt ubsorbing much at that point and didnt want to run the bike with full compresion on just to get it to be a bit stiffer so i got a 350 spring because u cant put any air or anything into a vivid, it feels a bit better the back end will stand up a bit more but i had a turner dhr before this with a fox dhx 5.0 and to me it felt alot more stable when it took the hits and just absorbed everything a bit better and as a matter of fact every bike ive ridden other than mine (cove shocker demo 8,7 and rocky flatline) with a dhx 5.0 has felt better in terms of taking bumbs and smaller rocks n roots along with bigger compresions, im sorry this is so long but ive been having trouble with this for a half the season now so any tips on set up for a vivid to make it stiffer but more ubsorbant to all kinds of hits would be much apreciated i know that was pretty poorly put and maybe to general for a forum but anything you guys got would be great cause i know theres a wealth of knowledge about these bikes on this forum. thanks

big cal

Monkey
Nov 18, 2001
Melbourne, Australia
hey guys i just bought a sunday world cup frame a month ago it came with a vivid and a 300 spring this felt too soft from the start, i was getting seat rub just forcing my my weight down and back on the bike in the parking lot i threw the compression up all the way trying to get the shock to stand up a bit more and not be so soft, it worked it did stiffen it up a bit but every bump and root was pretty rough i found like the shock was really wasnt ubsorbing much at that point and didnt want to run the bike with full compresion on just to get it to be a bit stiffer so i got a 350 spring because u cant put any air or anything into a vivid, it feels a bit better the back end will stand up a bit more but i had a turner dhr before this with a fox dhx 5.0 and to me it felt alot more stable when it took the hits and just absorbed everything a bit better and as a matter of fact every bike ive ridden other than mine (cove shocker demo 8,7 and rocky flatline) with a dhx 5.0 has felt better in terms of taking bumbs and smaller rocks n roots along with bigger compresions, im sorry this is so long but ive been having trouble with this for a half the season now so any tips on set up for a vivid to make it stiffer but more ubsorbant to all kinds of hits would be much apreciated i know that was pretty poorly put and maybe to general for a forum but anything you guys got would be great cause i know theres a wealth of knowledge about these bikes on this forum. thanks

Holy crap take a breath dude! Longest sentence ever!!

Jason4

Monkey
Aug 27, 2008
Bellingham
I think you are going about it a bit backwards. I just put a Vivid onto my 7point and I think they are similar enough to the Sunday for some of the experience to transfer over.

Try upping the spring rate again if you are still bottoming out and reducing the damping to almost nothing (except beginning stroke rebound) to increase small bump compliance and keep the suspension active. There are some very good spring calculators online and in this thread that can help in picking your spring rate and pay attention to how much sag you should run with a Sunday.

I'm running a 400# spring with the medium drop stop bumper. I think I'm running 1-2 clicks in from full soft on the compression damping, 1-2 clicks in from full soft on the end stroke rebound damping, and I'm not really sure where I've ended up on the beginning stroke rebound damping but I'd put it at about half way through its range.

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
Please take a look some basic rules of the english language...that conglomeration of letters is nearly un-inteligable.

1 humping your bike in a parking lot has NOTHING to do with suspension set-up while riding.

2 you have gone from one extreme (lower rate spring and less HSC and LSC) to the other all at the same time...result= you have no idea what change you made had what effect (fundamental no-no in suspension tuning).

3 go bask to square one and make a single adjustment/change at a time (while riding...NOT in the parking lot) and learn what the adjustments of your shock do.

The vivid utilizes a bit of LSC to reduce chasis movement that the DHX mostly lacks. For this reason, it (the Vivid) wont for the most part have the same super marshmallowy type feel at low speed that you can get from a DHX.

Dirt 1st

Chimp
May 23, 2008
Australia
ba ha ha ha ha... Hey vincer welcome to my world
http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=168138&page=99

the vivid shock spring is non compatable to any spring above
350lbs in combanation with the sunday frame

This is the official word fron Ironhorse

the shock is not centered in the frame and rubs on one side
the spring rubs/gouges against the frame
the bigger the spring rate the greater the diamater
thus the more rubbing/gouging

They know this problem and probally wouldn't
mind it being hush hush

after much corispondance with IH they were saying that
a new vivid spring is in dovelopment..ba ha ha ha ha

so after countless enquiries they sent me a DHX 5.0
probably to make me go away
still no word on this so-called new vivid spring

so in conclusion dont bother upping your spring rate
unless you want problems
and dont bother complaning to IH as thet dont give
a sh!t

just live with it....poor R&D and even worse customer service

vincer

Chimp
Sep 11, 2008
i found that the 350 was an improvement in general but in regards to what u said i met a guy today at whistler who had a 400 rate spring on his sunday and it was really close to the inside of the frame slightly closer than the 350 i had but he had no issues with rubbing etc im sure there is a risk as iron horse suggests but i feel like its a risk worth taking if it gauges or rubs whatever they cost like 30 40 bucks but me and this other dude both agree 300 and 350 are a a no go wayyy to soft i have to wonder how a sunday with a dhx feels probably pretty good cause they have more suitable adjustments

Storchi

Chimp
Jan 31, 2007
Austria
I remember seeing pictures in this thread of how to fit the lower link of a 2007 model to a Vivid shock.

I could't find them anymore, would be great if you could tell me where I can find them....

Thanks!

ridingsupreme

Monkey
May 12, 2008
Santa Cluas lane
Ok so instead of sifting through the pages that make up this thread, I'm gonna ask a quick question.

My gf has just got a Sunday. she weighs about 135lbs. what would be the proper spring/suspension set up for her? Boxxer WC up front Fox DHX 5.0 rear

ridingsupreme

Monkey
May 12, 2008
Santa Cluas lane
ba ha ha ha ha... Hey vincer welcome to my world

unless you want problems
and dont bother complaning to IH as thet dont give
a sh!t

just live with it....poor R&D and even worse customer service
Wow, Now I really want to get a Sunday for myself. I mean ya if the customer service is that good it means everyone should still get one anyway right? Thats why you see so many Intenses and Iron Horses all the time.

Attitude from these guys isn't surprising, they know they will still sell bikes weather or not people get good service from them or not lol

She'll need a 250lb spring, which is the lightest spring fox sell. It's super light too.

As it's a light spring she'll need v little rebound too.

I'd suggest no pro-pedal and a min PSI in the resevoir (look at shock for this).

Ok so instead of sifting through the pages that make up this thread, I'm gonna ask a quick question.

My gf has just got a Sunday. she weighs about 135lbs. what would be the proper spring/suspension set up for her? Boxxer WC up front Fox DHX 5.0 rear

xemini

Monkey
Nov 4, 2004
whats everyone using for rebound on the DHX for the sunday, im running 4 clicks which seems pretty good, just wondering what everyone elses opinions are...

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
whats everyone using for rebound on the DHX for the sunday, im running 4 clicks which seems pretty good, just wondering what everyone elses opinions are...
going to depend on your weight and spring rate a LOT...as well as personal preferences/riding speed.

On a stock DHX, I ran the rebound all the way off (zero clicks) with a 350 spring at 185lbs. I had the shock pushed, so now it is set to about the middle of the range (and feels about the same as zero on the stocker).

Sunday_MikeG

Chimp
Jul 1, 2008
Hey guys,

I have a problem with my 08 Sunday, I'll try explain it the best I can...

There is a noise coming out of the bike each time the shock is getting compressed, even when its small bumps, an irritating noise together with a vibration comes out of the bike, and i'm nearly 100% sure it comes out of the lower link shock mount axel or bushings. I've had some problems with my shock bushings, had some play, and this time it makes pretty much the same noise as if there was play in the bushings, however I have fixed the bushings, they have no play, but there is a noise coming out of that lower link area. I have cheked the shock, spring clearance and have checked all other possible things, eliminating all sorts of variables and have come to the conclusion that it must be the lower link shock mounting area that makes the noise, however I still do not know why and what exactly causes it.

I have noticed some "wierd" things regarding my Sunday. The first thing is, when the bike is at rest, there is more clearance between the frame and spring on the left hand side of the spring, than on the right. On the right hand side the spring nearly touched the frame (running a Obtainium Spring, larger diameter). The second thing is, when I'm mounting the shock onto the bike, I fist position and tighten the bottom, and then proceed to position the top, and at this point I noticed that the shock is not aligned to the top link position for the shock, and I have to slightly force the top part of the shock to the right to pop into the top link. This means the shock is not working in a linear way, its being compressed slightly sideways which I assume is not good for the shock.

Are these issues common? Are there solutions?
Thanks in advance.

richgardiner

Monkey
Aug 19, 2008
Ive just checked mine, and it seems to have less clearance on the right aswell. IIRC it was something that was found on most, if not all sundays.

icon27

Chimp
Jul 21, 2008
Longmont Colorado
is it a common occurrence for the forks to dent the gusset at the head tube? will it cause me problems in the long run? Has any one tried to fix the dents with dry ice? just curious.........

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Run the bumpers so they hit the top tube, not the gusset. The top tube is thicker and I haven't seen it dent. Too late for you I guess, but I'd do it anyway.

RaID

Turbo Monkey
is it a common occurrence for the forks to dent the gusset at the head tube? will it cause me problems in the long run? Has any one tried to fix the dents with dry ice? just curious.........
Yeh ive got a small dimple on either side
essentially due to the fork crushing, its been like that for over a year.

Unfortunately my bumpers on the 888 dont always stay in the right place to prevent this. I doubt they cause any significant damage. Im personally not worried about it.

Sep 30, 2008
Cant seem to get the Linkage kit anywhere here in the UK so i can upgrade my 06 linkage to the newer edition that isnt complete rubbish. anyone know where i could get one? Phoned Ironhorse the other day, they said it'll be a good 3 months or so.

any help appreciated

cheers

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
the guys at fluidride had a linkage kit last time I was in there. They are in Seattle, Washington.......but if you are desperate, send them an e-mail.

richgardiner

Monkey
Aug 19, 2008
okay guys, im risking sounding a little stupid here but hopefully uou guys can help me out. Ive bought a 2008 sunday team, all lovley and nice.
Now im wanting to change the shock spring, and after a bit of research i found out that you can actually get the shock out without taking the linkage apart, its just a case of removing the shock from the shock mounts and whipping it out of the front triangle.

Heres where i find a problem, I remove the 2 x 4mm bolts inside the big hex cups on each side, at the bottom shock mount/dw pivot. Once ive done this, i cant figure out how im supposed to remove the bottom shock/dw link axle? is there a special tool or something i need to get it out with? Or is it a case of leaving one of the bolts in and hitting it to get it out the other side (i dont want to do this unless its the only way, as knowing my luck, it will probably rip the threads in the axle!

If anyone could give a really simple step by step guide with how to remove the shock, I would be very greatful!

Thanks guys
Rich

Sunday_MikeG

Chimp
Jul 1, 2008
okay guys, im risking sounding a little stupid here but hopefully uou guys can help me out. Ive bought a 2008 sunday team, all lovley and nice.
Now im wanting to change the shock spring, and after a bit of research i found out that you can actually get the shock out without taking the linkage apart, its just a case of removing the shock from the shock mounts and whipping it out of the front triangle.

Heres where i find a problem, I remove the 2 x 4mm bolts inside the big hex cups on each side, at the bottom shock mount/dw pivot. Once ive done this, i cant figure out how im supposed to remove the bottom shock/dw link axle? is there a special tool or something i need to get it out with? Or is it a case of leaving one of the bolts in and hitting it to get it out the other side (i dont want to do this unless its the only way, as knowing my luck, it will probably rip the threads in the axle!

If anyone could give a really simple step by step guide with how to remove the shock, I would be very greatful!

Thanks guys
Rich
What I do is the following:

Where you unscrew the allen on one side of the axel, screw in a normal bolt (a longer one), just some 2 turns in or so, so the bolt stands out a bit, then hit it with a nylon hammer to push the axel out the other side, unscrew the bolt and thats it...

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
What I do is the following:

Where you unscrew the allen on one side of the axel, screw in a normal bolt (a longer one), just some 2 turns in or so, so the bolt stands out a bit, then hit it with a nylon hammer to push the axel out the other side, unscrew the bolt and thats it...
Yep! FWIW: The screwing in of an old bolt is the best way to go IMO. I've also used an allen wrench or a solid brass rod of the same diameter with good results.

What you don't want to do is jack up the threads of the pin, or contaminate them with grease.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
is there a weight (and origin) difference between 07 factory and 08 world cup frame?
Origin yes, weight no. They both weigh in identically, the 07 factory is from US + 08 WC from taiwan. If it's of use, the taiwan frame's downtube seems much more resistant to dents - good defense against shuttle trucks. :)

Mar 23, 2008
Hey guys

My Vivid is dead after only 1 week riding (just got my 2008 Sunday WC (asian) frame 1 week ago from Randal Scott). So I'm swapping my Fox DHX 5.0 from my DeVinci Wilson to my Sunday WC.. This will also stop that spring rubbing on the frame issue, since the Fox spring is skinnier (even for a 500lbs spring).

Have somebody done this already? if so, which Fox Shock Hardware size should i buy? As you can check on this link, there are several different sizes: http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/18033-318_FOXHW8-43-Brands-211-Fox-Racing-Shox/2009-Fox-Rear-Shock-Hardware-Kits.htm

Thanks in advance!

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
The hardware from the vivid should fit in the dhx to my knowledge. Just put the reducers and spacers from the vivid in the dhx and see how if it fits.

rewster

Monkey
Feb 3, 2007
charlotte nc
I'm sorry if this has been covered before, but does anyone have any info on re-shimming a roco for the sunday? I just got this shock, and the mid-high range rebound packs up like a gypsie on the run.