Quantcast

The Official Iron Horse Sunday / DW-Link Tech. & Tuning Section

m.m.w.

Chimp
Jun 23, 2009
The bearing store guy won't have bearings with extended inner ring. I think they are only made by Enduro.

project 2501

Chimp
Nov 24, 2008
Pécs
ahh , i see.. in that case you can still use some alu-spacers in between

and the usual::D

People , PLEASE help, i am looking for a rear triangle for my sunday,,
impossible to find any!!! ebay dont have, shops dont have
I cant believe this!!!
I would buy any condition any year, any size ( all sizes are same)
mail me: rodus77@gmail.com

salalelo

Chimp
Aug 11, 2009
Muros (Spain)
hi people...this is my first post, my name is "Juan", and i`m from spain. (my english is very bad, i know, but i hope that any peope understand me...hehe)

recently i have bought a second hand ironhorse sunday world cup (2006), to replace my broken Orange 224 from the 2007, and i have a question:

The ironhorse comes with a 5th element, and actually i have a fox dhx5 from the Orange, but i didnt know what shock works better in the ironhorse, the fox or the 5th element, and i didnt know if i need to tune my fox to work properly in the dw-link, i need help to decide what shock i must mount. Both shocks are going to be mounted with a diverse ti spring (300lbs)

Thanks for all, and sorry again for my bad english :)

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I'd stick with the 5th element. DW designed the bike to work around that shock and I imagine, when set up properly, there's a lot of potential. I was led to believe my DHX is tuned for my sunday, and even as is it's overdamped on rebound and a little on compression. I would definitely not want to stick a stock, non-sunday tuned dhx on there, it would be way overdamped and perhaps unrideable. I would stick with the 5th or get it retuned by a local shop or avalanche.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Is it a stock as in sunday "tuned" from the factory, or stock as in "came off a kona" stock? I may be going for the avy 5th soon, depends on what i decide WRT tuning the shock or going for a different frame at years end.

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
Is it a stock as in sunday "tuned" from the factory, or stock as in "came off a kona" stock? I may be going for the avy 5th soon, depends on what i decide WRT tuning the shock or going for a different frame at years end.
as in bought aftermarket and didn't specify any specific tune.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Stock DHX works far better than the 5th in my experience.
I'd strongly suggest sticking with that. The CVT valved shocks feel pretty lousy in the Sunday.

Sandwich - I suspect there might be something up with your shock (you could just rebuild with a lighter oil perhaps), my stock DHX (2008) ran perfectly in my Sunday even with a 250lb spring. I ran 1 click of rebound and it felt fast enough (I like it on the fast side), and I figure most people are running a harder spring than me. My only complaint was that it could have had a bit more compression damping.

303flyer

Chimp
Dec 31, 2008
got my sunday done....

its an 06 and I dont think its compatible with a can creek double barrel, Can I customize or machine a DB to fit on my sunday?

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
No idea what hub that is, but I would guess it's either a shimano or formula knockoff. I would advise you to head to your LBS and ask them if they have any pawls that look like that. They may have a trashed hub that they can pull one or two pawls off of that will fit your hub. You're SOL for contacting iron horse, and even if you find the manufacturer of that hub, they probably won't speak anything besides chinese. If your LBS fails, good luck.

m.m.w.

Chimp
Jun 23, 2009
All the pawls I found on the internet look different. And I guess the shape has to fit perfectly. If anyone of you has an Iron Horse complete bike with this hub/wheelset and smashed the rim, broke spoke holes or whatever, please let me know...

project 2501

Chimp
Nov 24, 2008
Pécs
about the lower shock pin itself: is it the same in 05 06 and 07 08? not the threaded hexa thing, but the pin itself.. i have my friends 08 removed for measuring and want to make one into my 06
will it fit?

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Nope, the shock pins on 07-09 bikes are designed for the 10mm ID shock hardware, and the hex pivots were re-designed to accept them. So basically, the 07+ pivots, shock pins, and shock hardware all work together (only).

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Can anybody tell me if I can run my upper shock spacers on the lower shock eyelet?

I have a DHX, 08 factory, the upper alloy spacers are black, and the lowers are aluminum. There's just a tiny bit of play in the lower that I think I can alleviate by swapping the two. I don't see why I can't, but I don't want to F it up either if it's a no-no.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Yeah the spacers are the same size top and bottom (if you're talking about the 2 that slide onto the sides of the reducers).

Aug 19, 2009
PNW/Sweden
hey guys,

I have an 06 Sunday and have a fair amount of play around the upper shock bolt. Just a bolt with a nut, so as you know, the bolt shaft doesn't fit the bore perfectly. Any good solutions to this that don't involve aluminum tape?

Also, looking to but 07 or later parts or medium frame, if anyone out there is selling that kind of stuff.....

and finally, does anyone have part numbers for replacement bearings? Not IH part numbers but SKF/Torrington/etc. part numbers, then I could just get some bearings coming from Applied Industrial or something.

Thanks.

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
hey guys,

I have an 06 Sunday and have a fair amount of play around the upper shock bolt. Just a bolt with a nut, so as you know, the bolt shaft doesn't fit the bore perfectly. Any good solutions to this that don't involve aluminum tape?

Also, looking to but 07 or later parts or medium frame, if anyone out there is selling that kind of stuff.....

and finally, does anyone have part numbers for replacement bearings? Not IH part numbers but SKF/Torrington/etc. part numbers, then I could just get some bearings coming from Applied Industrial or something.

Thanks.
Shock bolt ODs never fit shock hardware ID precisely on any bike ever. Bolts are simply stamped/rolled/forged, not a very controlled mfg process as far as tollerance. Most set-ups actually have the hardware sitting on the bolt threads..no where near something you would consider a precision fit. The hardware should be prevented from radial movement on the bolt via the clamping pressure of the bolt (the linkage plates should be pressed hard against the shock hardware preventing its movement).

Bearing part numbers are in the same place all the relevant tech info is...........the very first page of this thread. I would suggest going with the enduro parts for the four extended inner race bearings (they are custom and you wont find them any where else) so as to not have to deal with spacers.

m.m.w.

Chimp
Jun 23, 2009
@project 2501
The old axle version is just an axle with unchanging diameter and threads for bolts. Should only fit old lower links.

Aug 19, 2009
PNW/Sweden
Shock bolt ODs never fit shock hardware ID precisely on any bike ever. Bolts are simply stamped/rolled/forged, not a very controlled mfg process as far as tollerance. Most set-ups actually have the hardware sitting on the bolt threads..no where near something you would consider a precision fit. The hardware should be prevented from radial movement on the bolt via the clamping pressure of the bolt (the linkage plates should be pressed hard against the shock hardware preventing its movement).

Bearing part numbers are in the same place all the relevant tech info is...........the very first page of this thread. I would suggest going with the enduro parts for the four extended inner race bearings (they are custom and you wont find them any where else) so as to not have to deal with spacers.

yep, pretty aware of what the problem is with the top shock mount, I am kind of looking for a solution though.

I think I have a good way to fix this, going to the machine shop tomorrow to talk to those guys and see if they can do what I have in mind. I will post an update if it works out.

regarding the bearing part numbers, the first page of this thread has internal IH part numbers for bearings, but I am looking for bearing manufacturer part numbers. From what I have read in this thread, getting bearings from IH is no longer an option. If anyone has any bearing manf. part numbers, or knows the manufacturer of the bearings IH used, please let me know (I can look when I get the thing torn apart).

Also, I am not really clear on this: is the 07/08 WC lighter than the 06? Thanks.

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
Should I repost my response, or do you want to just read it again?

The bearing #s posted are stated in the exact way that all bearing mfg list bearings. Nothing specific or custom to IH as far as the part #s or sizes apart from what I mentioned previously.

If you understand how the/all shock mounts function (which based on your first post, you do not), then you also know what is not correct and thus, you know what needs to be done to fix the problem. No one can troubleshoot your specific issue via the internet...you need to do that.

If you ask for free help in the future (especially as a newb), you might want to actually take the time to read and comprehend the information that people provide for you...

If you already know the answers to the questions you posted...why ask them?

Last edited:

Iceman

Chimp
Feb 14, 2009
Sweden
@project 2501
The old axle version is just an axle with unchanging diameter and threads for bolts. Should only fit old lower links.
And the new axle/shock pin version looks like this. I've got a good drawing that I can send you if you want. Also note that its got a slot on the bigger (12mm) diameter.

http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/3737301/

The hex-pivots therefor look different inside too. The left one (non driveside) is a thru 12mm, while the right one (driveside) has got a 10mm flat bottom about 10-11mm deep, then drilled to fit a M6 countersunk bolt. I haven't got any drawings of them yet, although I've manufactured a pair myself.

Hope this helped out a bit... :)

Last edited:

monkeyfcuker

Monkey
May 26, 2008
UK, Carlisle
Bare with me!

Right I was following a mate through some choppy smallish hits/bumps today and he was pulling away from me. He's on a Glory I'm on a Sunday (we're both about the same weight, and normally have similar results at races, even had the same comp settings on forks today), everyone does say the Glory is a bit more of a plow bike but is there anything I can do to my set up (just out of curiosity really) to improve this, I'm otherwise pretty damn happy with my setup but this was irritating today!

I weigh 10 stone. 250ib spring and bike has a DHX3 running 105psi.

Last edited:

richgardiner

Monkey
Aug 19, 2008
have you tried slowing down your rebound slightly? I used to be in the same situation as you, my friend tends to plough through stuff much more than i do, and in 'plough sections' he usually pulls away from me slightly. I had a go on his bike one day and noticed how much slower his suspension was than mine. I tried slowing mine down and its made such a difference. the bike tends to plough much better, as the suspension isnt trying to rebound back to full travel all the time, the bike simply accepts it and gets on with it.
hope this is of some help!
rich

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
Bare with me!

Right I was following a mate through some choppy smallish hits/bumps today and he was pulling away from me. He's on a Glory I'm on a Sunday (we're both about the same weight, and normally have similar results at races, even had the same comp settings on forks today), everyone does say the Glory is a bit more of a plow bike but is there anything I can do to my set up (just out of curiosity really) to improve this, I'm otherwise pretty damn happy with my setup but this was irritating today!

I weigh 10 stone. 250ib spring and bike has a DHX4 running 105psi.
Push did some very nice things for my DHX5 on my sunday. The larger ports in the main piston allow more 'open' oil flow in high speed hits (more important with the low leverage ratio of the Sunday, and can offer more regressive damper curve LSC to HSC). Rebound has a much better range and feel (I ran the stock shock all the way open), and I no longer have issues with over-travel/bottom outs on g-out/flat landings as I did before.

It was certainly a worthwhile upgrade for me...